allergic or using wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanton Cree

May 11, 2018
ive been vaping for about 3 weeks not between a BluPro and a MyBlu pen unit. The first week was great and smooth but after a week I'm having an itchy throat and soreness when inhaling.

how can I determine if I am allergic to vg or pg?

or in your knowledge do you think I could be hitting it incorrectly and not hydrated enough?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
for allergy determination, i would suggest a trip to the doctor. as to the second question, having seen the Blu products, you would hit them like you would an analog. and yes, i would suggest increasing your hydration a bit, both the pg and vg have a drying effect on the delicate membranes of the throat. besides, getting a little extra water in your diet wouldn't hurt anyway.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Since you were OK for a week, my first guess is that it's nothing to do with the vape and you're coming down with a cold. If that's not it, throat irritation is most likely due to either your nicotine level or the way you're inhaling. PG sensitivity can also be a culprit. VG sensitivity doesn't usually cause a sore throat - it's more likely to result in wheezing or a heavy feeling in your chest.

If it's not already what you're doing, you can try an MTL inhale. Suck the vapour into your mouth, hold it there for a second and then inhale.

Good luck!

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I really don't recommend the Blu system at all. Big tobacco owned and they setup you up to fail. Their cartridges are high in PG (close to 50%) which will irritate anyone's throat. I'm certainly not giving any medical advise, but IMHO you have gotten the most of the Blu. It gave you an idea of what vaping is like so you can make a decision without spending alot of cash. It's time to get you a real vaping system so that you can custom your vape to yourself.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
A visit to a physician is recommended.

I think it could be an allergy or irritant, or you could be getting sick as someone said. Is it from Blu or something else? Hard to say.

Through trial and error, I found that high PG content and an ingredient in vanilla flavorings (still undetermined which) irritates me although my doctor could find no conclusive proof and gave me some guidance as to how to try to determine what is bothering me.

I agree with others that you may want to consider different equipment. We all started somewhere and products like Blu and Vuse make it easy so it's great that you made the switch.

There are other units that you can use and, in the long run, will even save you money and provide a better vaping experience. Since you have to refill the blue pro you have some experience filling a tank so a small step up should not really be an issue for you.

I upgraded in steps.

Below is a setup that I would recommend because it will last you awhile and can grow with you when you upgrade even more. It is similar to your setup in that the battery is built-in to the bottom part but it is much powerful and will last you longer. It is definitely bigger but nice looking and easy-to-handle. The tank that comes with it is a really nice tank that you fill from the top so you just have to unscrew the top and fill it with e-liquid. The main difference is that you also need a coil that screws into the bottom and gets changed out regularly and that is easy to do.

How this system can expand is that
-- you can use the toptank with other types of boxes. Depending on the coils you use, you can experiment with wattage and temperature mode
-- in the future you can purchase an rba piece for like $5.00 (rebuildable atomizer) and that rebuildable base would allow you to build your own coils --if you are so inclined

Something to consider.

Kanger SUBVOD Mega TC Starter Kit

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
As far as most vapers go I don't think "allergy" is the proper term. I would call it a sensitivity with regards to how we use the PG/VG.
If it was an actual allergy to PG (my issue) it would be a major problem with a lot of products. My PG issue with vaping did build up over time. The multitude of products with PG don't give me any problem (including cigarettes), although PEG laxatives for colonoscopy does get into that territory for the non-lung/throat issues but that is a massive amount.

To figure it out it won't be with Blu or any closed system. You need some control over what you are vaping.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
  • Useful

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I think we're all assuming that you're using this to quit smoking? My issue was a little different. I started with higher pg juices, and all was well the first few weeks. But then, if i was really hitting it hard, and chain vaping (when I really wanted a cigarette), my mouth would get kind of sore, or raw feeling - like I'd burned it on hot food. No real issues with my throat. If I slowed down, and limited my hits, it'd subside the next day. I used Natural Dentist Rinse to soothe it. But I started diy, using only VG, and that really helped a lot. No real issues now. I do get vaper's tongue if I really overdo it, but that's not uncommon.

So like Myk said, it's often not so much an allergy issue, but a sensitivity issue. And it can subside over time.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sensitivities and etc can certainly arise any time. The problem with closed pod units is you aren't even going to know exactly what you HAVE inside them (and I'm not just talking PG, VG and flavors, there may be other items added that, if proprietary, it's going to make it hard to know if there is something else causing you irritation and etc.

If you decide to do some elimination experiments, I'd suggest maybe some sample packs from vendors, (small ones) of various ratios of VG/PG and flavors. Or, you could buy small amounts of PG, and VG, and experiment in your vape to see if one is causing a problem or the other, then add in flavors. If you don't want to DIY completely, well, at least you might be able to get a handle on if Pg or Vg is a "main offender." That may help you moving forward.

It's not unusually for a person quitting cigarettes (if you are) to feel odd, or have detox symptoms, I'd highly encourage you to read the list of quitting symptoms and I'm so glad I did. I have thyroid issues, and had no idea that vaping actually impacts thyroid function in a different way than cigarettes, for example.

Please read up, decide on a plan of attack, and if you continue to have trouble, see a doc. Mine (he is also a vaper) really helped me figure out my PG sensitivity,. Also, I can't vape vanillas, they make me hoarse. No idea why, and I LIKE vanilla, but after trying 3 different manufacturers, I was like, well, forget it. Etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

rocknmum

Apr 11, 2013
Windham, ME, USA
ive been vaping for about 3 weeks not between a BluPro and a MyBlu pen unit. The first week was great and smooth but after a week I'm having an itchy throat and soreness when inhaling.

how can I determine if I am allergic to vg or pg?

or in your knowledge do you think I could be hitting it incorrectly and not hydrated enough?
I actually had the same thing happen with Blu and was under the assumption it was from the PG; I switched to high VG juice and a different setup and haven’t noticed it since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread