Almost a full month and getting frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justjames75

Jun 12, 2014
Chattanooga, Tn
Hi gang,
when I decided to quit smoking money was tight and I ordered an ego setup to kick the analogs with. They worked ok for the first week or two and I didn't smoke. I found a b&m close to the house and purchased juice and some extra tanks for different flavors. Starting with a 12mg nic seemed to do the trick.
Now almost a month into vaping I can't seem to get my fix the way I did in the beginning. I had to step up to a 16ml juice to handle cravings and I am chain vaping at times so hard the battery turns itself off. I can be driving or sitting here having a cup of coffee and dead. Battery is charged and it's shut it's self off.
Did I misjudge my nic levels this badly when I started and need to go up some more? I get that the ego isn't the greatest thing in the world, but am I abusing it so bad that it dies all the time? I am a lung hitter and can't seem to get enough to keep me happy at all. I have a cool fire on the way that someone was nice enough to give up with an i30b tank and I had planned on going down with my nic levels. Not so sure now.....
Has anyone else had these issues?

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I started with 24mg nic, but found that I could vape myself nic sick with it if I wasn't careful. At about two weeks into vaping I reduced down to 12mg nic, and have pretty much stayed at that level for the past 3+ years. Understand that everyone is different, but 12mg pretty much matches the nic level effect that I had gotten for the 50+ years that I smoked.

Bottom line; I had no intention of quitting nicotine, I just wanted to quit smoking to get it

Last edited:

vengaman

Verified Member
    May 18, 2014
    Sydney, AUS
    typical ego kits have clearos that need changing pretty quickly. they get gunked up after time and lose there efficiency / effectiveness. that may be a part of your issue - stick with it man, go to the B&M and ask for their advice an a more effective setup for you. most folks are really helpful.

it takes some time to find your sweet spot or vape.

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    what flavors are you using. perhaps something that would give you a stronger throat hit is what you are looking for. i use a 50/50 blend of clove and butterscotch or,ice menthol and butterscotch. 50% PG,50% VG,18 mg per ml. this works for me. to get a sharper hit increase the PG. to mellow it out increase the VG.
    regards
    mike

Seanchai

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    I started at 12mg and couldn't set the thing down for love or money. Moved up to 18 and that helped considerably. I still chain vaped but I could easily set it down for an hour or two and go do something else. After about six months, I went back down to 12.

See what your vape experience is like once you get that coolfire. Gear with more power = a bigger nic hit, so the 12 may suffice again once you're using that. If it doesn't do the trick, you might need to move up in nic. It happens... your body will tell you what it needs.

ChurchMouse

Apr 24, 2014
    Illinois
    Ego batteries have an automatic cutoff to protect you and your equipment from putting too much drain on the battery with extended draws. Depending on the battery and its circuitry, it may cut you off anywhere from five to ten seconds into your draw. This is a normal safety feature and your batteries are not malfunctioning. You should be able to simply turn the battery back on and use it again.

A less common reason for ego batteries to shut down is a bad coil in your tank. Again, this is a safety feature designed to protect you from the consequences of a short or other issue that could damage the battery which, in turn, could damage YOU.

A gunky coil will produce less vapor and either less or an "off" flavor, which happens after a period of time using the same coil. That could explain your lack of satisfaction. I don't know what kind of clearo you have, but replacement coils for most are readily available or you could try looking for youtube videos showing you how to dry burn the gunk off the coil for your topper. You'll have the same need to clean and dry burn and/or replace the coil in your iclear periodically after it arrives, so it's smart to get familiar with it anyway.

OTOH some cheap "generic" egos are just cheaply made, and the quality is really hit and miss. Some simply don't last. If that's the case, I hope you have a backup until your cool fire arrives!

Try changing the coil if you haven't already. Which battery do you have? Do you know what the manufacturer's specs are?

Last edited:

Rickb119

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 20, 2013
    Greeley, CO, USA
    I had more that one Ego style die within a few weeks when I first started vaping. On the other hand, I have a few more that are still going strong. It's really hit or miss with them and I'm sorry that you seem to have gotten a "miss".

As to the craving/chain vaping, you might want to try WTA juice. Aroma Ejuice Manufacturer of WTA Whole Tobacco Alkaloid Eliquid Aroma Ejuice

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Pearland, TX
    We started with the Ego's too when I don't want to mess with the mod stuff when out and about...switched to a better tank with them, and put a Kanger air control valve (they're about five bucks) on them and they let more air in for a bigger "cloud" just like my mod one. Me too, I liked that big cloud and throat hit...

how much did you smoke? I was (if I was honest) about 2 packs a day, and started out with 24mg a month ago an along week 3 my head was swimming so I backed down to an 18mg this week and doing good..probably will get some 12mg with my next purchase.

Justjames75

Jun 12, 2014
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Thanks for the replays. Currently all my juice is 70pg30vg. Used the stores premixed flavors at first and then started mixing stuff together. I'm doing a mix of 70% vanilla bean with 30% strawberry and 80% double chocolate with 20% menthol most times. The chocolate and vanilla were both a bit heavy in stock form and adding thinner juices seemed to help the flow. I clean them well at fill up and have replaced the coils once in both so far.

PinkPanter

Jun 21, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Might be that you looking for more throat hit or something like this, there are at market great extracts that can make it all heavier without adding all the time more nic.
    One of my friends was really nic addicted, did had 24mg nic, now its reduced to 12mg nic by adding some of these extracts.
    You also can try to vape with more voltage, but I assume you've already tried this.
    Ive heard a few drops of vodka will pumps it also, I never tried so maybe someone else could tell us about.

Justjames75

Jun 12, 2014
    Chattanooga, Tn
    I did know about the 5 click trick and I have tried in order to get a larger hit, draw with button pressed, release for a second or 2 and then draw again. But it will shut its self completely off at times. I've restarted it twice already this morning. Fresh battery, just off charge. I smoked a pack, pack and a half for over 25 years. Full flavored reds. I'm hoping the higher powered cf1 will do the trick until I can get my money together, but in the meantime, I'm ready to toss this ego out into traffic.

ChurchMouse

Apr 24, 2014
    Illinois
    I did know about the 5 click trick and I have tried in order to get a larger hit, draw with button pressed, release for a second or 2 and then draw again. But it will shut its self completely off at times. I've restarted it twice already this morning. Fresh battery, just off charge. I smoked a pack, pack and a half for over 25 years. Full flavored reds. I'm hoping the higher powered cf1 will do the trick until I can get my money together, but in the meantime, I'm ready to toss this ego out into traffic.

How long are your draws? If you can turn it back on it sounds to me like the automatic shutoff kicking in. Which battery do you have? Some of the cheaper egos will cut you off in as little as 5 seconds.

Try timing your hit to four seconds, release the button for a second or two then do it again.

And if you're vaping a lot of sweet liquids like vanilla and definitely the chocolate, those are going to gunk up your coil faster. Chocolate especially is infamous for the junk it deposits on coils! So you'll need more frequent cleaning/dry burning or replacing to keep up a quality vape. Again, this will be true of the iclear you have coming too.

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Thanks for the replays. Currently all my juice is 70pg30vg. Used the stores premixed flavors at first and then started mixing stuff together. I'm doing a mix of 70% vanilla bean with 30% strawberry and 80% double chocolate with 20% menthol most times. The chocolate and vanilla were both a bit heavy in stock form and adding thinner juices seemed to help the flow. I clean them well at fill up and have replaced the coils once in both so far.

looks like your into the sweet stuff. you might try upping the menthol or,trying some thing sharp like clove or cinnamon to give more of a bite. of course adjusting nic levels might do the trick too.
    regards
    mike

Stratmarsh

Verified Member
    Jun 28, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    Hang in there fellow chattanoogan (lived there for 17 yrs). I struggled with crappy batteries, leaky tanks and horrible juices for a good while but I was determined to find something better and not smoke anymore!!! It's gets better as you learn more about what's out there and your personal preferences. If not I wouldn't be smoke free 2 years later. Do what works for you. I tried to reduce my nic level (started at 24mg an staying there) and go with more vg and was just ...... off all the time unsatisfied. I feel good at 24 mg and 50/50 blends so .... If it ain't broke don't fix it. I am definitely not recommending this for everyone. You got the Greek in chat reach out to him with questions. Seems like a really good guy.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
    Apr 12, 2014
    Maryland USA
    I started at 24mg nic but was able to drop by 6mg per week I was lucky. There were many times during that I had some cravings I could not get through vaping the way I was doing it. What I found to work is to take the hit hold it in my mouth count to 5 then inhale into my lungs count to 5 then exhale This helps you absorb the nicotine much better. Just taking a hit inhale and expel doesn't get it done like smoking analogs does vaping is different in that way and needs a little longer to absorb. Thy this method out I'm sure it will help

realsis

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2014
    California
    Hi, I was a two pack a day smoker and I was able to quit very comfortably using 24 mg nicotine. I wouldn't worry too much right now about lowering your nicotine, in fact, you might consider raising it and see if that makes you more comfortable. You can always lower it later when you have had some time being quit. I myself still vape 24 mg nicotine. I'm not yet to the point I can lower it. But eventually I will. If your having a lot of cravings, I would absolutely increase the nicotine. Also, you might want to invest in a better battery that won't shut off on you like this one's doing. Vision spinner is a very good ego style battery and it has variable voltage so you can find that sweet spot when you vape and customize your volts to the way you like to better your vaping expirence. The vision spinners are very affordable as well. Once you get your nicotine right and get a good working battery, then you will be much more satisfied. I wish you the very best and hope this helps..you can get the vision spinner at a good price from my vape store online. This store has good products that are genuine, good prices, and lightening fast shipping! Take a look online and see if it's something you might be interested In. Hope this helps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread