Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
So I've got my first mod (an SVD) and my first ProTank.
And I'm ALMOST happy with the ProTank.
Fills easy, looks GREAT, ZERO leaking or gurgling.

But I actually like the flavor off my EVODs better.
It's just a TINY bit muted, maybe metallic? Very slight, but it's keeping me from ordering another ProTank.

I am looking for any recommended alternatives, give my situation:
a) I WOULD just use EVODs, but dangit, they look a little goofy sitting on top of an SVD, while the ProTank looks like they were made to fit one another
b) I don't actually need glass - none of my flavors are corrosive
c) I like the volume of the ProTank, but that isn't critical either, as you can tell, since I'm happy with EVODs
d) I don't want to move to carto-tanks. I know people would otherwise recommend that - I just know I don't want to do that - I really want a clearo.
e) I have a T3, and it's got the aesthetics issue - I want that wider base - plus it actually gets airflow impeded on my SVD. The 510 thread is deep enough that the airholes become obstructed.

Any suggestions??
Again - the ONLY think I don't like about the ProTank is that it's somehow muting the flavor a little bit...

Thanks!

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
I've heard the pro tanks need to be washed before use, otherwise the flavor is a bit funky. If you haven't already, try washing it out. You may also want to experiment with removing a piece of wick or two and flipping the gasket that sits atop the wick upside down.

If all else fails, try your EVOD atomizers in the pro tank. I hear they fit....

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Thanks for the tips!

I didn't wash it - but it's not like it's adding a "machine oil" kind of flavor - it's more like the JUICE flavor isn't coming through quite as much. Still - I will try perhaps removing a piece of wick AND washing and see what happens.

The PTank coil is reading 2.7.
I'll check if an EVOD head fits right, and maybe give that a go, too! I have those in both 1.8 and 2.2.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
You CAN, but you have to check.
I've been stocking up a little. LOL.

They are ON SALE actually, right now, "buy 2, get 1 free" (boxes of 5 that is) here.
That makes it $10.70 for 15, another 5% off with ECIG code, total $0.67 each.
Or Health Cabin SAYS they have them, real ones, and they're $0.58 each, but you have to pay shipping from China...
I don't think anyone has any 1.8's left.

Not even sure you can get Kanger EVOD coil heads anymore. I ordered some last week and got "Protank/EVOD" heads.

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I get what you're sayin, but my objective is to keep using the EVODs on my fixed voltage EGOs when out and about, and find something I like on my SVD for when I'm vaping at my desk. As those EGOs die, I might replace with Spinner/Winder/Twists or an iTaste3...

Or... approaching from the other direction. ;-)

Get yourself a iTaste 3.0 to spin your EVOD onto... looks just fine, almost like someone planed it that way.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
OK - reporting back on first stage!
It's better...still uncertain if it's gonna be my go-to-clearo.

I have not yet tried an evod head.

Here's what I DID do:
- Rinsed, quick vodka soak, rinse
- removed top flavor coil

Here are the results:
- I THINK any "odd" flavor is definitely gone, I'm just still not sure if the JUICE flavor is coming through fully
- BIG difference from removing the wick - before, I had to vape it at fairly low voltage, or it would start getting "dry". Removal of 1 of the top wicks allows more juice in, allowing the use of higher voltage or watts, providing BIGGER vapor. Pretty noticeable diff - like before, I was at 3.7, and now it's fine at 4.6. That'll certainly go through juice and battery faster - but at least if I want a big hit I can get one:vapor:

I'll come by again after I try it with an EVOD head.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You really have to play a bit with these things to see what works for you. For some people removing the top wicks (you did mean wicks, right?) is nirvana. For me removal of any of that top wick seems to cause problems: Liquid spitting up the vent tube, gurgling and less vapor. I think what's going on with my experience is when I remove the top wick the coil is actually getting too much liquid and is so wet it can't create vapor effectively. This could also change from one coil to the next, depending on how "up or down" the coil placement is in the base.

I leave it in, you take it out. At least the options aren't too hard to figure out. lol

Good luck with it. I like mine.

Last edited:

BusterTheDog

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
Florida
Try this larger capacity than evod and uses same coil as EVOD but looks great on an SVD IMAG0019.jpg

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Yeah - LOL, I meant wick.
I removed ONE, and I am having NO leak or gurgle still.
my juices tend to be 50/50, though I'll mix it up sometimes. This particular testing fillup happens to be Halo, and they don't say - but it's pretty thin, maybe 70/30.

T4, huh? Looks like it's using an Evod head? But it's the same diameter as T3, I think - not that "flush" wide base i was hoping for...but thanks.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
OK, so, I think...PROBLEM SOLVED!

And it's quirky enough that I'll post it - who knows, maybe others have the same thing going on, right?
To my slight surprise - yes, it's better with one wick removed - but that got me only partway there.

Here's the other part. I have realized this evening, that I am simply a low resistance kind of guy.
I can totally taste the difference between the 2.4 ohm coil (which actually measured 2.7) and a 1.8 ohm coil (which actually measures 2.0) - EVEN AT THE SAME WATT SETTING.
I just didn't figure that - I thought same wattage would yield same vapor and flavor - but no, I can tell the difference, and it's what was "wrong" for my vape.

So I'm now puffing away happy on a ProTank with a 1.8ish coil, one wick removed, getting full vapor and flavor...

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
So I've got my first mod (an SVD) and my first ProTank.
And I'm ALMOST happy with the ProTank.
Fills easy, looks GREAT, ZERO leaking or gurgling.

But I actually like the flavor off my EVODs better.
It's just a TINY bit muted, maybe metallic? Very slight, but it's keeping me from ordering another ProTank.

I am looking for any recommended alternatives, give my situation:
a) I WOULD just use EVODs, but dangit, they look a little goofy sitting on top of an SVD, while the ProTank looks like they were made to fit one another
b) I don't actually need glass - none of my flavors are corrosive
c) I like the volume of the ProTank, but that isn't critical either, as you can tell, since I'm happy with EVODs
d) I don't want to move to carto-tanks. I know people would otherwise recommend that - I just know I don't want to do that - I really want a clearo.
e) I have a T3, and it's got the aesthetics issue - I want that wider base - plus it actually gets airflow impeded on my SVD. The 510 thread is deep enough that the airholes become obstructed.

Any suggestions??
Again - the ONLY think I don't like about the ProTank is that it's somehow muting the flavor a little bit...

Thanks!

get a dbox puritank- it's everything the protank wishes it was. yes , it uses the same coils but the airflow is much improved and effects the taste. you can use your own drip tip if the metal protank bothers you. another choice would be the protank 2 which is hitting stores now- it is a reaction to the dbox puritank and does all the same things- the dbox holds more juice and looks better IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread