Altoid box mod - thanks j0ker for the idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairlane64

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Central US
Last week I saw j0ker's Altoid box mod, and thought it was so cool I would have to build one for myself, so thanks goes to j0ker for the idea and inspiration.

This is my first proto, so on the next one I build, I plan on making some modifications to make it look a bit better, but what the heck, it puts out a strong 5V and I'm really enjoying the extra flavor and throat hit that 5V gives you on a 510 atty.

All the parts to make this mod (except the Altoid box) come from MadVapes LLC

EDIT: I used one of MadVapes slow color changing LED's, and it just so happens that when it turns from red to green, it's time to let go of the button (takes about 5 seconds). LOL, I guess you could say it has a button release reminder built in.

Now to build one in a red Altoid box to go with my liquorice box... :D

Attachments

• Altoid-1.jpg
    Altoid-1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 399
  • altoid-2.jpg
    altoid-2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 492
  • altoid-3.jpg
    altoid-3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 468
  • altoid-schematic.jpg
    altoid-schematic.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

Fairlane64

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Central US
Altoid tins have been great for little electronic projects, but they can be a bit tough to work with, the metal is SO thin, but totally do-able!

Very true, I found out you have to take your time and go slow when drilling any holes, otherwise you'll end up with a rip in the metal. However, after getting it done, I've dropped it a couple times and so far its held together great.

Fairlane64

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Central US
Thanks Fairlane64, I appreciate that! You did a great job...maybe even a little cleaner than myself. Thanks for the props!

No problem, it was a very good idea you had, and the box has enough room to actually do some stuff like recess the atty, add an LED, use a full sized regulator, etc.
I'm not so sure about cleaner, I made those pics small for a reason! LOL Actually, it didn't turn out too bad, I've been pretty happy with it so far, it was a lot of fun to build.

Fairlane64

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Central US
Last edited:

planetofthevapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2009
Pandhandle of Nebraska
LOLs Fairlane...I don't know how to get into the photobucket account, I'll try in the morning see if I can't hack it...I have this like...horrible memory. There is a side view pic as my profile pic...I can't do video because of my satellite internet...sorry I cannot demonstrate it. Over the last 7 months by husband became frustrated with two bad shipments of atomizers that refuse to vape at any normal voltages and has since disconnected my 5v regulator and now vapes it at a full 9 volts. He is right, both of those shipments refuse to vape at the normal voltages. It's really odd!

Fairlane64

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Central US
somehow the pics are showing up for me now...I still can't figure out what email address I could have possibly used for that photobucket account...grrness!

I don't know what you did either, but they are showing up for me too. You did the recessed atty just like I did, which I like very much. Makes me feel like it's a bit more protected for when I go into clumsy mode on occasion.
Do you still use the 9V battery? I assume you're using a 9V niMh rechargeable? Just curious how long you get between recharges on a battery like that.

On those attys that require 9V to work, any chance you might have a bad connection between your atty and battery connector? That could add enough resistance to require higher voltage to make them work properly. Have you measured how many ohms those bad attys are? Just curious.

I like the layout of your mod, very nice and completely different!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread