Am I a real DIYer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
I've been doing DIY for several months now and i have a very nice collection of flavors. I rarely make more than 10ml of any flavor and I have dozens of juices on hand. However, I almost never combine flavors in a recipe the way you see recipes posted in this forum. I do combine juices on a regular basis, using only flavors that have steeped if necessary. If i want something that tastes like bananas foster i take an empty bottle, squirt in some banana, then some kind of vanilla and caramel and top it off with a touch of toasted almonds. too much banana? add some vanilla & caramel. too much caramel? add some vanilla.

Admittedly, this week's batch may not taste like last week's, but it feels more creative somehow. It's the same way i cook up a batch of chili once a week. It never taste the same each time but it all gets eaten.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I'm right there with ya. Once you know what chili powder and cumin do and how strong that particular brand is you pretty much know how much to add, give or take a teaspoon... same with maple or pecan give or take a drop or two. That's one of the reasons I prefer Flavor West because using the quantities called for they're much more forgiving. Don't get me wrong, I do like the super concentrates too but have to be way more careful (like I would be with garlic cooking.) I think I know why most here do it the technical way though. They share their recipes. I can't do that with food or juice.

Last edited:

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Chef Jones, or Chef Indy? :)

It's all good no matter how you do it, as long as YOU like it and it allows you to keep vaping and not smoking. Once you do find a flavor you REALLY like though, you may want to start trying to keep notes so you can have some way to exactly replicate it. Like 3 gulps of this, four splashes of that, ect. Haha, that really doesn't sound any better for replication, but I'm sure you know what I mean :)

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
I think I know why most here do it the technical way though. They share their recipes. I can't do that with food or juice.

ah, there's the rub. i cannot share my recipes. i have kept track of recipes like this :ry4 (4 parts ry4) 1.5dulce de leche, 1brownsugar, 2vanilla, 1.5caramel,1.5tobacco. Then imagine trying to deconstruct it with different percentages of each, not to mention additives like E.M, sweetener, smooth etc.

I used to think i was pretty good at math, but that's just too much to be any fun to mess with. Does anyone use a recipe that complicated? that's my favorite. or was it? i think i need a splash more brown sugar and a few more drops tobacco, lol

I'm not strickly a DIYer, I still have a hugh stock of tobacco juices and quite a few others that i bought before i started DIY and i don't want any of it to go to waste.

Last edited:

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
My DIY is pretty much the same way. I am definitely not a master chef, but I have cheap, vapeable juice! I, too, have some vendor juice, but it's getting old. I decided to try some of my apocalypse stash yesterday, and the flavor I ended up trying had April 2011 as the date on it.....perhaps I've kept some of my vendor juices a little too long! :oops:

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
i stopped acquiring premade juices june 2012. some show a 11 month expiration date but i consider that overly pessimistic, especially since they have spent much of that time in the refrigerator. i combine my old tobacco juices into my ry4 mixes and occassionally drip some straight up. while i cannot participate in recipe sharing the way other DIY folks do, i occassionally go to those threads for ideas on flavor combinations.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
If it doesn't even cross your mind to buy pre-made juices when you run low, you are definitely a DIYer. How good of one is subjective, but if you like to vape your own liquids, you are certainly good enough!

I also tend to make juices of single flavors, then sometimes mix them together in a tank as I please. Also a good way to gradually lower nic into the evening hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread