am i the only one who hates reality tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rege

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2010
pa
jersey shore real housewives the hills anything my wife watches makes me want to put a bullet in my head it is the most boring garbage ever put on tv. who wants to watch other people do nothing. reality shows are like .... holes everyone has one and they all stink. why does anyone give a damn about what these people are doing?

Last edited by a moderator:

drew_devereaux

Jan 21, 2011
Savannah, Georgia
I loathe them and the talentless, shallow, stupid people who "star" in them. Watching the shows perpetuates them. I get annoyed with people who say, "I hate them, but I just can't help myself." Really? You can help yourself by turning the channel or turning the TV off. Reality TV is Jerry Springer writ large, and it makes me worry about the future of our society. It seems a large part of the populace vales fame for its own sake. Twitter and facebook are just two results of that yearning to be recognized, to be validated, to be famous.

Last edited:

rege

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2010
pa
I loather them and the talentless, shallow, stupid people who "star" in them. Watching the shows perpetuates them. I get annoyed with people who say, "I hate them, but I just can't help myself." Really? You can help yourself by turning the channel or turning the TV off. Reality TV is Jerry Springer writ large, and it makes me worry about the future of our society. It seems a large part of the populace vales fame for its own sake. Twitter and facebook are just two results of that yearning to be recognized, to be validated, to be famous.

wow that is hard on the eyes pick a different color next time

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
I don't watch any that you mentioned but I do love Suvivor, can't wait till Feb 16th and I think they consider that reality TV don't they?

I can't stand "Survivor." Before it aired, I thought it was going to be like "Survivor Man" or "Man Vs. Wild." I had no idea it was going to be a popularity contest between back-stabbing, phony, shallow ....... I had enough of that in High School.

I mostly hate reality TV. The only reality shows I watch are on Discovery, TLC, The History Channel, or Tru TV.

I'll take "Cities of the Underworld" over "Jersey Shore" any day of the week.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
Reality TV is cheap to produce....so networks love it. They have also tapped into a the dirty little human secret. People are inherently voyeuristic, which is also why we all slow down and try to "see something" while driving past an accident scene (aka. rubber-necking). Or peak through the curtains when we see a police car parked in front of the neighbor's house. I think the show "Cops" was when this genre really took hold....and later perfected by Survivor. It could be argued it goes back to Candid Camera Show, but in that case the people didn't know they were on TV.

I really would like to see this genre go away now....it's old. The only ones I watch are some of the working class hero shows like Deadliest Catch or Ax Men and more recently Gold Rush. I like some of the people on Deadliest Catch, but watch the others because they are some of the dumbest, most unlikeable people I have ever seen and I watch in hopes they will fail miserably. But even here....they have run their course.

Daytime TV like Springer or primetime shows like Housewives? Should be banned from the airwaves for being intolerably inane and a clear and present danger to one's brain cells.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I like Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef. I used to watch Iron Chef, too. (I like to cook. Can you tell?) Deadliest Catch is one of my favorites, too. I haven't even seen some of the others mentioned and don't care to, either. Our cable is used for the Internet only and isn't even hooked up to the television. We can find everything we want to watch on the Internet or through Zune and Netflix. I honestly don't miss TV at all.

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
I like Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef. I used to watch Iron Chef, too. (I like to cook. Can you tell?) Deadliest Catch is one of my favorites, too. I haven't even seen some of the others mentioned and don't care to, either. Our cable is used for the Internet only and isn't even hooked up to the television. We can find everything we want to watch on the Internet or through Zune and Netflix. I honestly don't miss TV at all.

I must admit I watch Hell's Kitchen even though I know it's mostly phony. Kitchen Nightmares is a little more legit even though there's still a lot of theatrics involved.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I don't hate them. But, that's because I've never watched any of them. They're there for people who do enjoy them, and you have control of what channel you watch ...
or, at least I do, LOL, since I live alone.

Now, professional wrestling on a channel which claims to be a science fiction vehicle, that I hate.

Iwannaquit4good

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
USA Sin City
I use to be a reality TV addict. I finally got sick and tired of wasting my brain! Watching people make idiots of themselves for shallow fame. I canceled cable almost 7 months ago and will not go back. I also got sick of watching the news! I do not understand how I watched that non stop crap for so long. I feel so much better since I quit :)

Hogie

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Coventry, NY
Reality TV and the amount of commercials are the reason I got rid of my cable box. History channel does not do history anymore, TLC is not about learning, SciFi shows no science fiction anymore, and the list goes on. TV on the cheep! Plus the commercials make me sick! There are SO many of them!!!! Almost half of the programming is commercials!

I was paying about $75 a month for cable TV and finally decided that it was not worth it because I was hardly watching TV anymore. I do watch PBS and I can get that without the damn cable box.

I read an article that stated that TV viewership has been dropping. I constantly hear how much people HATE reality TV. It is still running strong because the shows are SO cheap to make!

Just like everything else, TV quality has taken a back seat to PROFIT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread