Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Man everywhere I look (I'm still a newbie) everyone is using so much more watts than I do. I have two CE4 (2.6 ohms) and one iClear 30 (2.1 ohms) and I normally use a MVP v2 or a Vamo v6. And just changing the e-juice changes the watts or voltage that I will use for the same clearomizer. As I like say with MtBaker Maui Sunrise with 2.6 ohms at 4 watts or about 3.3v. The same clearomizer with MtBaker Coffee or even Hazelnut Coffee at 5.5 watts or about 3.7v. While it seems like most vapers are using 10+ watts. Why the difference? Do they take shorter hits? I'll puff and expel the first second or two since the heater(s) isn't up to temp yet (you can tell on expel and usually taste when the heater(s) is up to temp). And the normal 10 second auto cutoff is almost too short for me. As I'll draw 10 to 12 seconds a lot. The Vamo I can set for a higher cutout time, but not the MVP. Am I vaping differently than most others?

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Don't get hung up on vaping style and absolutely, positively, do NOT go in for vaping 'fashion'.

The very cool thing about vaping is freedom - freedom from tobacco and freedom to do it any ol' way that works for you. If you're satisfied, cool beans.

Now, if you want to experiment, go ahead. Dial up the voltage/wattage (slowly, and in small increments) to see how it affects the vape and how you like it. No doubt your tastes will evolve over time - let that journey unfold. Just don't do it 'cause all the cool kids are doing it. Do it because it satisfies you... and you alone.

Both the MVP and the Vamo should let you play around with a wide enough range of vaping styles for now.

As for the difference in vape parameters that you're experiencing now between juices, that's quite normal. The "perfect" vape is a balance between coil/tank, power, and juice - a balance you're in control of (as you've already shown) and are the determiner of what's "right".

Good for you, BTW, for making the switch to vaping :toast:

MichiganGoat

Nov 30, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
When using my iTaste vv with a mini protank in the car or in public I vape at 8-9 watts but I also using a Panzer mech mod and build sub ohm coils where the watt output is massive due to ohms law. When I first started I worred bout the watt and volt settings but with rebuilding its automatic and on regulated ,odd I found the setting that works for... there s no right setting just what is right for you.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
It's all a matter of preference. Try it a little higher and see if it's better or worse!

I use a variety of setups - with my variable devices, I tend to run a 1.8 ohm coil at about 4 volts, which is near 9 watts.
With a mechanical, I'll vape a 0.9 ohm coil, which on a fresh battery (4.2 volts) would be closer to 20 watts.
I like 'em both. I DO prefer lower resistance than yourCE4's - but that's just me...
:)

Man everywhere I look (I'm still a newbie) everyone is using so much more watts than I do. I have two CE4 (2.6 ohms) and one iClear 30 (2.1 ohms) and I normally use a MVP v2 or a Vamo v6. And just changing the e-juice changes the watts or voltage that I will use for the same clearomizer. As I like say with MtBaker Maui Sunrise with 2.6 ohms at 4 watts or about 3.3v. The same clearomizer with MtBaker Coffee or even Hazelnut Coffee at 5.5 watts or about 3.7v. While it seems like most vapers are using 10+ watts. Why the difference? Do they take shorter hits? I'll puff and expel the first second or two since the heater(s) isn't up to temp yet (you can tell on expel and usually taste when the heater(s) is up to temp). And the normal 10 second auto cutoff is almost too short for me. As I'll draw 10 to 12 seconds a lot. The Vamo I can set for a higher cutout time, but not the MVP. Am I vaping differently than most others?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
All the above

AND

It's quite "normal" to use a different power setting for different flavors. While VV/VW lets you adjust to taste (THE important part!), not all flavors taste "best" at the same level. Light, delicate flavors might burn at higher power, for example. I have some flavor / topper combinations that burn at more than about 6 watts, other combos that taste great at 10. Both are "right."

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I would suggest you switch to bottom coil changeable (BCC) clearomizers in the future--they wick better and are much more convenient to use.

Other than that:

Disclaimer: This is the most simplistic explanation and is addressed to new vapers or vapers who are happy within the recommended "just right" power zone (4.5-8 watts) and use stock coils.

Ohm's Law as it pertains to vaping is really not that complicated--and it's very useful when you want to know what you're doing.

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. Wattage is the power (heat, sweet spot) that your PV (battery and atomizer) generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer [P=V[SUP]2[/SUP]/R]. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Of course, if you own a VW (variable wattage) device, you don't really need this calculator because your device will do the math for you.

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 watts per coil. Anything lower than 4.5 watts may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 watts increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartomizers (if you're using them) or dry with your clearomizers.

There are, of course, other variables, like eliquid and JDD (juice delivery devices) that you're using on your batteries. Seven watts on a filler type cartomizer may feel different than the same 7 watts on a fillerless clearomizer or a dripping atomizer. The same is true for different eliquids; tobaccos, chocolate and coffees generally require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat. Everyone's sweet spot is different--those are just very general guidelines.

If you are using dual coil atomizers, things get a bit more confusing. Dual coil atties consist of two coils configured in parallel, which means that a 2.1Ω atty is really two 4.2Ω coils--so you have to calculate your wattage based on the 4.2Ω number--not 2.1Ω--roughly. Dual coil atties require more wattage than singles, but not quite twice as much. They produce more vapor due to increased surface. I usually increase the power (wattage) by ~50% when using dual coils; for example, if I like 6 watts with a single coil atty, I start at 8-9 watts with a dual coil atty. That's just my preference--YMMV. When in doubt--start low and adjust up as needed.

If you are interested in high wattage (and/or sub-ohm)vaping, that's a different conversation altogether--and not my area of expertise. :)

Experiment and you'll find your own bliss in no time!

The chart below is a good guide to safe vaping, even though some think it's a bit conservative.

e-cigarette-volts-ohms-watts.png

Last edited:

Ace64

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Bill,
Welcome! and congrats on getting off the lit smokes! What I have found is it is YOUR personal preference! All people here and I can say is this is how I vape. Here are settings that I like and are good for me.
There are TONS of people here with the same set-up you have and are doing great. For me I used an MVP and a tank for my first two months. I found it was not enough for me. Then I researched LOTS and ended up buying a mech mod and a RDA. I still have my MVP and use it as a back-up. Just don't smoke and keep searching for the perfect vape :)

My friends and family cannot believe I stopped smoking! I smoked two packs a day for 36 years. I have four kids they all tease me a little about the vape. BUT, none complain all say "keep it up"

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

IMO, don't worry about the watts you're using. If you're happy with your vape, it's the right one for you never mind what it is or what the numbers are :thumb:

As for getting into higher watts if that's what you want to try, the hardware must support it. The folks who are vaping 15 plus watts are probably doing it with rebuildable attys that they set up for the watts they want to vape at. This is definitely not required to get off of a cigarette addiction though :)

IMO there is no such thing as under-wattage, unless you need a more aggressive vape to get you off cigs. I do find I vape shorter drags at higher watts.

The higher the watts the more experience you need to know how to vape safely. High power dry hits are really nasty and not at all good for us. IMO vape safe and the way that suits you. Keep in mind also that the vast majority of vapers vape at 5-10 watts so you are definitely not alone in that preference ;)

Last edited:

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
I've been vaping at 7 to 9 watts for 9 months now. A couple months in I almost gave in to the shinyitus and was going to buy a DNA. Common sense kicked in just before I was going to get it and I decided I'd wait until I was maxing out the wattage on the MVP I had. I have upgraded to Kayfuns since then but still have not wanted more power than the MVP is capable of.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There are a lot of things happening that would lead folks to think that everyone is vaping at high wattage.
    #1 people love to brag, so there is a tendency to exaggerate.
    #2 just because someone buys a 100+ watt mod doesn't mean they're using it at 100+ watts.
    #3 the type of topper used will have different power needs. This morning I'v been using a 3 ohm carto at 4.2v, that's 5.88 watts. A carto has a 9mm diameter chamber. My A7 is 12mm, and a 2 ohm coil at 8.8 watts will produce the same flavor. I have other RDAs that are 22mm, and it takes a 0.4 ohm coil at 44 watts to get the same taste. What changes between the three setups is the volume of vapor produced, but the AFR (air fuel ratio) and the coil temperature will be the same, so the taste is the same.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread