Status
Not open for further replies.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
I always regretted not buying a Lunar mod when they were available, so when I saw a cheap Lunar clone from VapoRider during their everything ships free sale, had to get it.

Two issues I had to deal with before using it. The included spring was pitifully weak. You could get that spring to compress with just a stern look. Swapped it out with a stouter one from my big box o’ spare springs and magnets, and the button action is much better.

A more serious issue was with the top most tube section. It was milled just a wee bit too narrow, and I could not get an 18650 to fit. I’m not talking just tight – could not get the battery into the tube section at all. Put in some grinding and sanding time and all’s good.

Hits surprisingly well, and a 25mm atty sits nearly perfectly flush. Pic is with a 25mm Freakshow V2. Really comfortable to hold and use. Still regret not getting an authentic, but at least I have the clone to scratch that itch.
freak.jpg

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it. A year from now, those three weeks will be long-forgotten, but the loose pin would still bother me...
Well my replacement came in the other day. I'm torn. The pin bottoms out in the insulator now, but the overall quality has taken a step down. This one is at least from a different batch, if not a different factory. The old one was polished to a miror-shine. This one has a duller, brushed finish. The o-ring holding the clutch pieces together is too fat, so it sticks in the channel instead of resting inside. The spare o-ring is the same as the one installed (previously it was a thinner o-ring that you could swap out for a looser throw) and there is also a tiny black one that I don't know what's for (under the firing pin, maybe, as some people say they have needed? although it isn't needed in my case). The little instruction "booklet" isn't folded into a booklet, the sheet was just rolled up inside the tube the whole thing came in, and the spare o-ring(s) came in a little cellophane pouch instead of a zip-lock bag. So, yeah, I'm glad the firing pin fits right, but what with everything else, I might have rather had the first one (I have to back the pin out a half-turn to make the battery fit, anyway). But without knowing which one -- or what else -- I'd get in return, I don't want to bother sending this one back, again. At least it works, even if it's not as pretty as the first one.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
You know that saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"? I almost didn't say anything. But since I already had a ticket open, I figured I'd copy-pasta this and see what they said. They asked for pictures, which I provided, and they are sending me a new one, and I don't even have to return this one! (I'd be happy if they just sent back the first one, but I don't think that's going to happen. Hopefully it will be a case of "third time's the charm.")

IMG_2037.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2036.JPG
    IMG_2036.JPG
    748.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    739 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2039.JPG
    IMG_2039.JPG
    662.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Well my replacement came in the other day. I'm torn. [...] I might have rather had the first one

So I'm looking at the Broadsides on FT...the new 2x 18650 "stacked" ones look an awful lot like what I received (minus the extension tube). They have the same dull, brushed finish, and the same additional black o-ring that I can't see a use for. Packaging looks like the same cardboard tube as both of mine have come in, with the extension tube in a separate, additional box. They said they would have the warehouse check before shipping out the latest one, but I wonder if this isn't all that's available anymore, and they just send it with or without the extra tube depending on which SKU it is. At any rate, they sent something out a couple nights ago, so when the ship comes in I'll either have a great-looking Broadside, or two okay-looking ones that can probably be polished up and have their fatty o-rings replaced with slimmer ones. For now, here it is with a Geekvape Medusa and a resin drip tip from FT:

Broadside.png

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I want a broadside clone but dont know which one to get from which site?
I'll let you know what I get when this latest one comes in, see if this version is the "new thing" or if I just got sent the wrong one*. It's in the country, so I should have it in just a few more days...

*What I have now is not "bad," it's just not as nice as the first one I had, which got sent back due to what I now consider a minor issue.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Replacement came in yesterday, identical to the last. I'm gonna go ahead and put this one (FT SKU: 7088602) in the "not-so-amazing" category. This one has a blemish on the switch housing, too, although it's on the inside so you can only see it when it's disassembled or while the button is depressed. And they don't even stack. Not that I planned on using it like that, but they should at least be able to, yeah? Well, they do if I put one on top of the other, but not the other way around? But the top caps and switch housings all fit fine on either tube...weird...

Again it's not "bad." It's perfectly functional. It's just not as pretty as it could have been. And now at least I have spares for every part.

What would I need to polish these up to a shine?

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
So, hope you all would accommodate a noob like me here.

Ive been looking for a regulated tube mod, but they seem few and far between. Was thinking, would a mech do the job?

My vaping "parameters" are:

1. I vape at around 29 watts on my reg mod, using a 0.5 ohm coil. It gives me good flavour and a cool vape, which I prefer.
2. Using Ohms law, if I assume a battery of 3.7 to 4.2V, I would need to use a 0.6 ohm coil to replicate my preferred vaping wattage.
3. I prefer to use a tank, rather than build...I'm lazy or too new to bother. I use a Tobeco Super tank, and like the flavour it produces at 29/30 watts.
4. Would a tube mod work with my tank with a 0.5 ohm coil? Using ohms law, I'd be pushing between 27 and 35 watts.
5. I already have 20700 batteries, and dont fancy buying new ones. Are there tube mods that accommodate that battery?

Any suggestions? I can see folks here have lots of experience...I dont mind buying from fasttech and waiting a lifetime LOL.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
So, hope you all would accommodate a noob like me here.

Ive been looking for a regulated tube mod, but they seem few and far between. Was thinking, would a mech do the job?

My vaping "parameters" are:

1. I vape at around 29 watts on my reg mod, using a 0.5 ohm coil. It gives me good flavour and a cool vape, which I prefer.
2. Using Ohms law, if I assume a battery of 3.7 to 4.2V, I would need to use a 0.6 ohm coil to replicate my preferred vaping wattage.
3. I prefer to use a tank, rather than build...I'm lazy or too new to bother. I use a Tobeco Super tank, and like the flavour it produces at 29/30 watts.
4. Would a tube mod work with my tank with a 0.5 ohm coil? Using ohms law, I'd be pushing between 27 and 35 watts.
5. I already have 20700 batteries, and dont fancy buying new ones. Are there tube mods that accommodate that battery?

Any suggestions? I can see folks here have lots of experience...I dont mind buying from fasttech and waiting a lifetime LOL.

Are you specifically looking for a clone? If not, I’d create a new thread to get more exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread