Not open for further replies.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
Hi, Mike.

There are no clear cut conversions here. The mg/ml does not translate cleanly into an absorbed nicotine amount. That depends on a lot of factors, from the type of vaping gear you are using and the power output to the humidity in the room, most likely.

However, data from NRT studies showed that people can reliably self-dose their nicotine intake, so let yourself find the right concentration that works for you. There are to sides to the nicotine concentration - on the one hand, it is likely that a higher concentration will allow faster / more nicotine absorption, but on the other hand a higher concentration also affects the 'throat hit'. You have to balance the two.

Many new vapers find that sometimes they need a stronger 'hit' to get them over those cravings, either due to triggers like meals, or morning coffee or just out of the blue. So a lot of us, at least in the beginning, use a lower mg juice throughout the day, while keeping a higher one on hand as 'rescue' for cravings.

There is no right or wrong, however - what works for you is the best.

Rule of thumb, though - light smokers ~ 12-16 mg/ml; full flavor smokers ~18-20 mg/ml; hardcore chain smokers 24+ mg/ml...

I second that. By personal experience from every smoker I've converted:

Me: Chain smoker, ultra-light cigs. I stabilized at 20 mg/ml (I DIY)
Mom: Moderate smoker, ultra-light cigs. She went to 12 mg/ml.
Cousin: Light smoker, full-flavored cigs. He went to 24.
Cousin: Moderate smoker, full-flavored cigs. He was happy at 18.
Cousin: Light smoker, light cigs. She ended up at 18.
Friend: Moderate smoker, unfiltered cigs. He was happiest at 12.

Do you see a trend there? Yeah, me neither. :) Except to say that all of us found our sweet spot, and it was always between 12 and 24. Some outliers might be happiest at 6 or 36, but that's not showing in my very small sample.

I second that. By personal experience from every smoker I've converted:

Me: Chain smoker, ultra-light cigs. I stabilized at 20 mg/ml (I DIY)
Mom: Moderate smoker, ultra-light cigs. She went to 12 mg/ml.
Cousin: Light smoker, full-flavored cigs. He went to 24.
Cousin: Moderate smoker, full-flavored cigs. He was happy at 18.
Cousin: Light smoker, light cigs. She ended up at 18.
Friend: Moderate smoker, unfiltered cigs. He was happiest at 12.

Thats an interesting idea and perhaps one thats already been done. Have people post what they used to smoke, amount per day and brand, then list how much and what nicotine level they vaped when they stopped smoking.

As you mention there may be no relation at all. Also there could be so many variables that it would be difficult to obtain the data you needed. Ie, type of vaporizer, relative health, humidity, etc.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
Some good info here for me.
The "stuff" in the cig shops only says 1.6 mg.
This is a good start for me.
Thanks -- HMike

You mean the nicotine amount per cigarette? One ml of liquid probably equates to ~6 cigarettes, maybe, but you will see that vaping is not at all like smoking in the sense that a vaping session is longer than smoking a cigarette. Moreover, the absorption is completely different - cigarettes are engineered to deliver nicotine instantly to the brain in 'peaks' of concentration whereas vaping appears to not cause those peaks. That's one of the reason conversions don't work. A smoker can be said to have 20 peaks of nicotine and 20 bad withdrawals every day. That's not true about vaping.

DiNet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
Israel
How many mg/ml in e juice equals a
regular or light cigarette? My 18mg
seems too strong.
HMike

Also different juice hit different with same nic. level in them. B&W cookie from AiV hits me like atruck at 18mg. and zero throat hit with cherry blossom from them...
HHV serendipity was too strong for me at 18mg first days I received it, couldn't get it in my throat. Now I vaped it all yesterday... after 2 weeks it sitting on shelve.

LM ligh 20-25 cigs a day. 18mg nic. at ~5ml a day :)

The puffs are bigger with vaping vs smoking. The taste is awesome... it all results to having daily puffs multiplied vs cigarette smoking.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
You nic needs will likely change over time...maybe even suddenly. I was a 3 pad full flavor 40+ year chain smoker. I started at 24mg. After 2 months the jitters and anxiety forced me down to 12-18mg. After 3 months I tried 6mg but settled at about 8-9mg. Thats where I am now after 5 months. Your body will definitely let you know. I strive for balance...somewhere between running around like a headless chicken and OMG I need a smoke.

schlim66

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
SoCal
I was smoking a pack and a half of Winston reds before I started vaping. The informed sales guy suggested 18mg for my first juice. It was a nice transition for the first couple of days until I got used to it, so I thought I should go with a higher mg level to try to get that hit I felt when I first started. Bought some 24mg and I didn't care for the throat hit so I mixed it with the 18mg in different percentages. After a few weeks I ended up getting a couple of mods (Vmax and a ProVari) which gave me a better range of wattage. This allowed me to get precisely the hit I like with 12mg. YMMV

Schlim66

Last edited:

tc3driver

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
California, USA
There are so many variables involved that it is not funny, and probably not possible to create your ratio.

Possible variables on cigarettes:
Number of drags
Drag time
Idle Time
Relight?
filter density
filter damage
lung condition
saliva amounts
tempature
cherry temperature

That is just what I can think of on this post.

and there are are about the same from a e-cig perspective. with a couple of changes (vv/vw, for temp)

What I can tell you is I was a pack-a-day smoker of full flavored cigarettes and I started at 12 mg... I am weening myself down to 6 mg right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread