Analog Cig Filter as Cartridge Material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoNut

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Thanks Tx, your post a while back reminded me I had some 100% polyester bonded batting in the closet, from the quilt I never finished. It was still tightly sealed in the original plastic it came in...to be safe I went for the middle, never touched part. Rinsed it well with water, let dry over-night and cut to size.

After first one too thick, and one too thin, I finally got the right amount of layers, and its working fine.

Mine is Cloud Lite, non-allergenic, washable and is 81in x 96in. (that should last me a while!)

Any update with yours? Or am I the only one smoking quilts now?8-o

qdilla

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
the windy city
Since polyester wool is the stuffing in pillows, blankets, and baby's teddybears, I don't think fibers pose any heath hazards.

You shouldn't breath the fumes of it when it's on FIRE. Although that's true of anything, really (cigs included , LOL )

I just see now polyester batt is rated for house insulation too "The thin fiber construction enables the polyester to resist continued smoking and burning. Instead, the fibers will tend to melt together and pull away from contacting surfaces. The polyester wall insulation passes the 2006 International Residential Code (ASTM E84 and ASTM E970)."

"A still further advantage of polyesters is that they do not produce toxic fumes when burnt. "

"The particular type of polyester batt tested exhibited excellent fire resistance
properties. Under direct contact from the flame the polyester melts with no smoke or fumes being emitted"

If you Google it, don't confuse polyester BATT with polyester RESIN, they are two totally different things. RESIN is nasty stuff.

I would buy it from a medical supply, or a filter company, or a fish store though, where you know it's clean, chemical free, and ready for breathing (and won't kill $1000 fish too)

I too buy from pet store filter fiber by loving pet works great!!:p

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
There's another thread here citing using coffee filters or tea bags for cart material - loosely rolled and put in the cart, it wicks pretty well....

The polyfil for quilts and stuff works well, too, but I don't like the way the little threads tend to sprout from it.

Yet another thread talks about Kevlar - I think that Figurehead said the material is mondo expensive......

Me? I still use the original cart material - just keep it cleaned out and moist.

I'm in the "dreaming" stage of coming up with some sort of drip-delivery devise for these things instead of having a cart material to sit on the atty and wick juice in... nothing I've put into mock-up yet. The gears are still grinding in the old head - can you smell the smoke?:rolleyes:

No, wait, that's my screwdriver...

Last edited:

TDM

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Just had a bright idea. Sometimes I have tem sometimes not, but here it goes.

Why not take a zippo wick. Pack your catridge as if it was a zippo lighter with the wick running thru the cotton. coil small amount of wick at end of cartridge where it would touch atomizer.

A zippo wick pulls as the lighter fluid out of tightly packed cotton ion a zippo. Wouldnt it work same here??

Not saying use the whole wick just a small piece.

Last edited:

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
Just had a bright idea. Sometimes I have tem sometimes not, but here it goes.

Why not take a zippo wick. Pack your catridge as if it was a zippo lighter with the wick running thru the cotton. coil small amount of wick at end of cartridge where it would touch atomizer.

A zippo wick pulls as the lighter fluid out of tightly packed cotton ion a zippo. Wouldnt it work same here??

Not saying use the whole wick just a small piece.

Hmmm. That sounds promising. 2 initial questions, though -

Would the cotton ignite in the heat?
Are their any additives or chemicals in the wick that might be passed on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread