Analog Cig Filter as Cartridge Material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Since the cartridge material is basically cotton wool why not just buy cotton wool for replacement purposes.
Neither cotton or wool melts into a glob like pictures I've seen of melted core material.

I wouldn't suggest real wool. Although it's fire resistant a little too much heat could have your atomizer smelling like burnt hair.

Keltrey

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Olney, Illinois
2 weeks ago I picked up some filters for the roll-your-own machine to try. Good draw, but I couldn't get decent vapor, even with a good soak in e-liquid. The cotton fibers must be too tightly packed or something? Hope that helps...

That was what I was thinking. I figured they would wick well, but wasn't sure if they would be heat resistant enough or had other chemicals in them possibly. I know Salem likes to put its menthol in the filter.

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
MSDS for Kevlar says " KEVLAR IS TOO BIG TO INHALE INTO THE LUNGS "

On the other hand I doubt their testing had people sucking vapour through it 16 hours a day, 7 days a week...

MSDS does say "A two-year inhalation study with KEVLAR® pulp (refined to increase its respirable fibril content) produced pulmonary fibrosis at concentrations of 25, 100, and 400 f/cc, as well as additional lung lesions. A panel of 12 pathologists from North America and Europe reviewed these lesions and diagnosed them as "proliferative keratin cysts." "

It is kind of like fiberglass... I'm not sure I'd want to be inhaling through Kevlar

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
Some more research suggests Kevlar might be closer related to Nylon than Fiberglass, in which case I'll retract some of my concern.... but the lesions and cysts thing is still kinda scary, especially if you are a female rat ;-)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3209007?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
Since polyester wool is the stuffing in pillows, blankets, and baby's teddybears, I don't think fibers pose any heath hazards.

You shouldn't breath the fumes of it when it's on FIRE. Although that's true of anything, really (cigs included , LOL )

I just see now polyester batt is rated for house insulation too "The thin fiber construction enables the polyester to resist continued smoking and burning. Instead, the fibers will tend to melt together and pull away from contacting surfaces. The polyester wall insulation passes the 2006 International Residential Code (ASTM E84 and ASTM E970)."

"A still further advantage of polyesters is that they do not produce toxic fumes when burnt. "

"The particular type of polyester batt tested exhibited excellent fire resistance
properties. Under direct contact from the flame the polyester melts with no smoke or fumes being emitted"

If you Google it, don't confuse polyester BATT with polyester RESIN, they are two totally different things. RESIN is nasty stuff.

I would buy it from a medical supply, or a filter company, or a fish store though, where you know it's clean, chemical free, and ready for breathing (and won't kill $1000 fish too)

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Thanks! I actually was planning on trying this this week....just waiting on making that trip to the fish store. The poster said he rinsed his very well first and has had no problems with it. My concerns are always (hidden) fiberglass and asbestos....that's what makes me hesitant about any of these fillers.

Well, I'm giving it a shot this week. Wish me luck! :D

Lu

BiscuitSlayer

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2008
Acworth, GA
there is a thread here somewhere.somebody bought fish tank filters and said they are nearly indestinguishable from cart material.so far hes saying they work great, and got tons of it for like 5 bucks.find the thread, he even has a link to the product so you can find it easy.

I am into keeping fish, planted aquarium to be specific, and I thought this the first time I saw the cart material you were mentioning. I think you are referring to the filter pad or prefilter media. I know exactly what you are talking about and I might give it a try.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Sorry I didn't mean that type of cotton wool, I was refering to the type as sold in a pharmacy. Interesting thought about roll-your-own filters, I've still got some slim filters so I might try that.

Ahh, I've never heard modern synthetic stuff called that (actually I didn't know pharmacies had anything but cotton). Must be an old term from when it was natural fiber and it sticks in your older country, or I've just never had a need to hear that term being used in a pharmacy.
It think it was called angel floss when I was into tropical fish.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Long ago, I wrote here about buying and trying polyester filter material used for fish tank filtering. There were immediate concerns about heated vapor, etc, etc. I swear, it's the same stuff used by E-Cig in their carts.

To test, I burned both core material from an E-Cig cart and a core I'd made from a pinch of the polyester fish material (ridiculously cheap at any pet store). Both burned exactly the same and left exactly the same sized black lump of hard stuff. Yeh, it's same stuff.

I don't make my own cores any more. They're cheap enough to buy and refill. I refill carts all day, and wash 'em infrequently. But, yes, polyester fish filter stuff works. I never observed it to overheat or burn or scorch so I'm not running around shouting the sky is falling to anyone who might want to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread