analogs vs e cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
I think there's a couple reasons for me. Smoking these is more like smoking a hookah.

Yes, or a pipe. I think that accounts for the way I converted so effortlessly compared to cigarette-smokers. Having said that, I recommended e.cigs to my sister (a confirmed longterm menthol cig smoker,) and she was so impressed with the randomly selected disposable unit she got on eBay to test, that she too agrees vaping is just a better experience (she shares my own lack of interest in the health benefits.)
Now she's planning to get a rechargeable unit, and immediately switch 100%

I wonder if it's easier for menthol-smokers too, from a flavour POV, because they taste minty rather than tobacco-y?

It's pleasant but different. The nicotine floods over you more slowly it seems, not the immediacy of an analog. I'd still prefer the analog in a world without cancer, COPD, smelly clothes, etc ad infinitum. Maybe the equipment will get closer and closer to analog smoking, for those who prefer it.

The second reason is the equipment, as someone said earlier. I feel like it's not ready for prime time yet, and early adopters of the technology have to put up with a few headaches that might seem absurd to an outsider. I mean is dripping really something we all want to have to do in the long term. Once you can take an npro sized device out all day with no extra batteries or cartridges, no worries about the atomizer, and expect the performance of at least a penstyle, it seems like more laissez faire smokers will sign up in droves.

That's very true. Some sort of juice reservoir with "fuel injection", rather than the current "wicking from a sponge" system - that'll hold 10ml+, and a battery that lasts all day. That would be a real tobacco-killer.

I'm pleased to report that my Montecristo didn't taste soapy (though it did taste a bit stronger than I remember!)

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
I started cause I loved the gimmick. I did not expect much from e cigarettes, and I didn't take to them right away. When I got a better e cig, I started really liking it, but it was not enough to totally stop smoking regular cigs. So, i now smoke from 3-6 cigarettes a day because I am heavily into the rituals of lighting, smelling the smoke, etc. A major problem for me and many others is the constant tinkering and frustration that sometimes occurs with these gadgets. Anyway, I am happy to have gone from a pack a day for 40 years to this and am perfectly content to just keep it as is.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
I started cause I loved the gimmick. I did not expect much from e cigarettes, and I didn't take to them right away. When I got a better e cig, I started really liking it, but it was not enough to totally stop smoking regular cigs. So, i now smoke from 3-6 cigarettes a day because I am heavily into the rituals of lighting, smelling the smoke, etc. A major problem for me and many others is the constant tinkering and frustration that sometimes occurs with these gadgets.

I guess you need to try to see those tinkerings as the rituals. It's easier coming from a pipe I guess, since the rituals are more similar (a lot more cleaning of hardware and experimenting with flavours/airflows/inhaling techniques/etc.) Treat the journey as part of the goal, and it becomes a whole lot less frustrating (recognize that the journey is the goal, and you'll achieve nirvana ;))

Anyway, I am happy to have gone from a pack a day for 40 years to this and am perfectly content to just keep it as is.

Amen to that. Contentment is success.

jonw

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
McCalla, AL
For me I guess there are only 3 times a day I need a analog cig when I first wake up, lunch, and bed. Sometimes when I am out in public I smoke analogs just because if you are at a venue or something and every 5 minutes you have someone walking up asking you a million questions and wanting to take a hit well this isn't so bad the first 400 times then it just gets old lol, but hopefully e-cigs eill become more comming.

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
There are a lot of factors in determining whether people can stop immediately using analogs after starting vaping or doing both for a while. How long they smoked analogs, how much, what kind of analogs they smoked. There are more things we're addicted to in analogs than just nicotine. I had to do it gradually and craved analogs for about 2 weeks off and on before I was abe to do it totally. Almost 3 weeks now and no analogs! We're all different and we all have different motivations. Yes vaping is sometimes more of a pain in the yahoo but I just keep telling myself all the pros involved in vaping. :)

calligal

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
California
Day 10 analog free. Started vaping on the March 18th and went analog free 10 days later.
I was feeling desperate to get off of cigarettes and nothing else was working. (patch, chantrix, magnetic ear device, witchdoctors, etc...) The mind is a powerful thing and I was hoping that the e-cig would simulate a real cig enough to fool me and it has. I smoked about a pack a day of djarum specials. I actually watched a clock though to try and keep my intake down to that level.

My first day I smoked 7 cigs, after that it was 4 a day (yes, that morning and evening one were the last to go.) It was surprisingly easy and natural for me to cut back as I did. I was a bit worried once my cigs ran out but the first few days were really easy. Even the morning was not that bad. Then I had 2 days where I was getting a bit more insanely edgy than is considered normal. My parrot wouldn't even talk to me which is not a good sign. (2 long, long walks helped with that)

There are trigger moments which can be confusing. Like "after I have a cig I will shut the computer down and go outside and do some yardwork....Wait? I don't smoke anymore ....What the HedoubleHockeysticks????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread