analogs vs e cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKEOUK

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
cumbria uk
ive been reading through the posts on here and it seems quite a few members combine analogs and ecigs and use the e cig as a way to cut down. Then, there are members (like myself)who have totally cut out the analogs from the first day they get their e cig.
im just interested to know why some people find it so easy to replace their analog habit with an e cig and others dont?
is this psychological ? i.e the ones who really wanted to quit and just wanted a real alternative even if they do think it isnt as good as an analog? do they stick with the e cig totally because its the next best thing or is it really as good to them?
I can honestly say, in the 5 weeks ive been using my e cig, i haven't craved an analog once,,,but am i in a minority here? im telling friends who are smokers, that this is a miracle, but am i forcing my own personal experience on them?

strayling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Seattle, USA
I hadn't planned on quitting analogs and bought an e-cig because I love gadgets and new things. For me, the vapour tastes so much better than smoke that I now have an unfinished pack of analogs from a month ago sitting in a drawer somewhere, and absolutely no desire to smoke any of them. Plus, I get a nifty gadget to play with and experiment on.

I may be atypical but from the first time I vaped I was done with smoking, which came as quite a surprise I must admit.

Vaporpuff

Mar 26, 2009
Miami, FL
Some may just not be using the 36mg liquid. I used to smoke a pack a day up until 3 weeks ago and I started off with the 36 (cigar flavor) and it was really nice actually. I just got in my 25mg 2 days ago and I tried it for a whole day but I found it to be nicer to smoke a 36mg cart in the morning and then move into the 25mg for the rest of the day. I plan to continue this reductive trend for however long it takes. Well anyways, I haven't touch an analog since. But who knows, psychologically, there are just some people who can't eliminate the analogs whether it's associated with the smell, genuine taste, vapor amount or maybe just the fascination of using fire haha. There are alot of different psychologically addictive reasons for smoking other than the nicotine (obviously why most of us are satidfied by the e-cig) but I'm sure that with different experimentation of different products they'll find their formula.

Vaporpuff

Mar 26, 2009
Miami, FL
Some may just not be using the 36mg liquid. I used to smoke a pack a day up until 3 weeks ago and I started off with the 36 (cigar flavor) and it was really nice actually. I just got in my 25mg 2 days ago and I tried it for a whole day but I found it to be nicer to smoke a 36mg cart in the morning and then move into the 25mg for the rest of the day. I plan to continue this reductive trend for however long it takes. Well anyways, I haven't touch an analog since. But who knows, psychologically, there are just some people who can't eliminate the analogs whether it's associated with the smell, genuine taste, vapor amount or maybe just the fascination of using fire haha. There are alot of different psychologically addictive reasons for smoking other than the nicotine (obviously why most of us are satidfied by the e-cig) but I'm sure that with different experimentation of different products they'll find their formula.

please excuse my mistake of saying smoke rather than vape. This is undoubtedly enough of a reason to ostracize me :sleep:

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
its also a hardware issue. As a "hardcore" smoker i want heavy flash and flavor.

There are many factors why this often doesnt happen with the ecig...it can be the liquid, weak battery or atomizer faulty. Often i puff and one of my 901 just wont flash, it doesnt give me the "satisfaction" feeling.

If it would always flash and give me "full flavor" i probably would NOT have the occasional "desire" to take an ana... yes, i have a screwdriver coming as well as two new atomizers. I know that its POSSIBLE....but there is still inconsistency with the hardware and "smoke/vap experience" with the ecigs!
NOTHING is more frustrating than dragging and puffing and NOT getting a nice hit/flavor. Thats the main reason for me.
Overall...i had 2.5 or maybe 3 anas since i esmoke...where i otherwise would smoke 30ish/day like nothing.

Last edited:

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
Quitting cigarettes was the last thing on my mind. One can't help but notice, though, that it becomes increasingly difficult to enjoy a cigarette in public these days, so something had to change.

• You can't smoke in public places
  • You can't smoke in cars with children
  • You can't smoke outside where people are exposed to second-hand smoke
  • Hell...I even heard someone was fined for smoking in their house. Seems a neighbor claimed to smell cigarette smoke next door and complained to the authorities.
Yet, when the local government seeks to balance it's budget, they have no qualms about raising cigarette taxes...and the price of cigarettes goes up and up. For me, it's not a question of being health conscious or anything like that. I just hate the fact that I'm being taken advantage of. The "big elephant" in the room that noone can address is...

...if cigarettes are such a public health threat, why are they permitted to be sold to the general public?

Answer: Mo' money...mo' money...mo' money!

They could give a shlitz about my health. They're getting paid from my addiction and they're gonna milk that addiction for every cent they can get.

The straw that "broke the camel's back" was when my local convenience store raised the price of my favorite brand by $1.00...overnight. Didn't know what I would do, but I was convinced I'd reached the limit of what I was willing to pay for cigarettes.
That very same day I learned about electronic cigarettes. By the end of the week, I received my starter kit in the mail. Bit of a pain in the ... with the juice and the batteries and the cartridges and the atomizers....

...but, I can't remember feeling so healthy and I'm thankful I don't have the daily cigarette expense anymore.

AND...I don't have to search for matches anymore.

Now, if we could just be free of the looming BAN, I'd be one happy camper.

borjis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
I may be atypical but from the first time I vaped I was done with smoking, which came as quite a surprise I must admit.

same here.

my friend who was smoking both is now only vaping
another friend stopped smoking analogs immediately.

my step dad is stubborn though, he won't even try it! :mad:

Vapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Orlando, Florida
I still smoke analogs because its sooo much more convenient than e-cigs when outside my house. Light-Smoke-Throw Away

However whenever im at my house and im vaping with a passthrough, i have no desire for an analog.

Since i started vaping, even when outside home, i have cut down a lot on analogs. I find myself not being able to smoke as much as i could before. I used to be a chain smoker that smoked a couple of analogs when i had nothing to do. I can now take only 2 analogs max within a minute of each other....much less have the crave to smoke more after that.

Valgar

Feb 7, 2009
UK - England.
I end up going lightheaded if I smoke analogs now. I was a roll-up smoker, and I think I was more addicted to the routine of hand-rolling tobacco, refilling the Zippo, and sparking up, rather than the tobacco as a singular addiction.

I love popping the cart open, extracting the filler a bit, topping up, jamming the Evo behind my ear until I vape it. I am considering modifying my Zippo for an e-vaping use. Cart holder? Liquid storage? I refuse to make it redundant!

Northern Bob

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Pointe Claire, Quebec
Pack a day for 40 years... vaping only for 12 days. Yes there are times I'd still like an analog. These e-cigs are so much trouble ( got juice, batts, carts, overfilled? ) but they make quiting so much easier than any other method I've tried that I tell myself its worth the extra effort.

Everyone is different but I'm hopefull.

NB

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I can honestly say, in the 5 weeks ive been using my e cig, i haven't craved an analog once,,,but am i in a minority here? im telling friends who are smokers, that this is a miracle, but am i forcing my own personal experience on them?

Not likely.

I tend to believe the average smoker would love a way to quit cigarettes if they could do so without quitting whatever enjoyment they derive from smoking cigarettes.

Friends seeing you demonstrate a product that's allowed you to quickly and easily free yourself from cigarettes is a powerful testimonial.

The fact of the matter is, you don't have to "force" your experience on anyone...

...they can see for themselves.

I think there's a couple reasons for me. Smoking these is more like smoking a hookah. It's pleasant but different. The nicotine floods over you more slowly it seems, not the immediacy of an analog. I'd still prefer the analog in a world without cancer, COPD, smelly clothes, etc ad infinitum. Maybe the equipment will get closer and closer to analog smoking, for those who prefer it.

The second reason is the equipment, as someone said earlier. I feel like it's not ready for prime time yet, and early adopters of the technology have to put up with a few headaches that might seem absurd to an outsider. I mean is dripping really something we all want to have to do in the long term. Once you can take an npro sized device out all day with no extra batteries or cartridges, no worries about the atomizer, and expect the performance of at least a penstyle, it seems like more laissez faire smokers will sign up in droves.

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
I hadn't planned on quitting - I was pretty sceptical, but thought the minipipe would be a fun gadget, and useful for no-smoking areas. But it just tastes so much better than an analog pipeful - it's how smoking ought to be, but too often isn't.

I smoked my first analog bowl of curly cut in over a week last night - just because I thought I ought to start using it up really. It was horrible - tasted of dirty soap. I had to wash my mouth out and have 10 mins on the 36mg FP afterwards just to clean my palate.

I've been a heavy pipe smoker for decades, and I can't believe that I've somehow given up smoking by accident (shades of Withnail &I: "We've gone on holiday by mistake!" :))

I'm pleased to say the snuff's still good, but I'm worrying a bit about my cigars. I have dozens of boxes stored away, and I'm going to weep if my MC Cusano taster size #3 tastes of soap when I treat myself to one next! I may never risk lighting the single Trinidad robusto extra I have squirreled away for a special occasion.
Of course, (unlike the pipe) even I don't inhale cigars (much anyway.) Maybe I'll fire up a montecristo later just to see, but it's kinda scary.

Last edited:

0ogier

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Lancs ,UK
www.ecig-liquid.co.uk
I was a little bit of a serious nicotine habit -20+ a day and 4mg gum inbetween analogues.
Basicaly took up the vaping to get off the gum. ( had been on it for well over 10 years). But found that I no longer needed the analogue either - result!

Ive since found that people who initially try the ecigs can be split into 3 groups:
1. Those who wish to quit smoking altogether .
2. Those who want to quit analogues but not the nicotine.
3. Those who just want to be able to 'smoke anywhere'. and still use analogues.
Groups 1 and 2 are a much smaller in number compared with group 3

After several weeks of vaping those in group 2 are now in the majority by a large margin.
A fair few of those left in group 3 see total conversion to ecigs as 'quitting altogether' and they 'dont want to quitor be forced to'. though they all have reduced their analogue intake by on average 40-60%

Admittedly it is a sample of people i have sold ecigs to with whom I have regular contact( approx 36 ). But I thought I would share my obsevations.

Regards

0ogier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread