Another "no flavor" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Patrick

May 9, 2019
Hi everybody

Let me apologize for making another “no flavor” thread, but i am desperate.

Im fairly new to vaping. A friend of mine introduced it to me last month and my mind was blown. The flavors were delicious and the experience of vaping fulfills my needs for smoking. Finally id be able to quit regular cigarrets

So I bought the exact same kit he had to make things easier since he would be able to assist me if i had any questions, which is a Vaporesso Luxe with the Skrr tank, and things were going great.

Until about a week ago when i started feeling that the flavor i was getting from the vape was slowly getting less and less prominant. So i looked up online and it seemed the issue was that the coil had ran its course and needed to be changed. I had about 3500 puffs with it.

So i bust out the spare coil and switch it with the old one.
Primed the new coil just like i had done with the previous one, sealed the rest of the device, waited a little bit more to let the cotton really absorb the juice, then hit the first puff, expecting to feel that strong, delicious flavor you get from a fresh coil, like the first time i used the kit.

Aaaaaaand absolutely nothing… :(
Flavor seemed the same as it was with the previous, burned out coil i had just swapped with.

I have tried every possible mode on the luxe mod by now. Not only that, i also tried reseting to factory settings with no success. Currently(and before this happened) i was using the variable watt, normal mode and vaping in the range of 40 to 60.

Since then i tried two other coils(mesh and strip) and the results were still the same. No flavor yet. It actually produces the same amount of vapor as before. I just cant barely taste anything. Nothing like how the kit was out of the box, or what i got from my buddies vape.

Not only that, i even tried another tank(same model)! Still nothing.

The only thing left for me to try switching is the mod. However, it seems to be working perfectly fine. I mean, its heating things up like it should, it produces vapor just fine, feels like its performing exactly the same as in the beginning when i received the kit and could taste things perfectly fine. Seems like a waste of money getting another one.

Now, I have read about the juice taking a while(up to a full tank) to actually break in and start producing flavor as expected, even if you primed it, but i am going through a full tank and doesnt seem to be having the effect that it should. And that wasnt even necessary the first time i used this device. It tasted fine right off the bat.

Ive also read about vapors tongue, but i am doing everything these articles advise to get rid of it, like switching to different juices (at this point i probably tried 5 or 6 and they all “suck” now, while they were all amazing before). I am drinking water or soda all the time to be hydrated. Used mouthwash, etc…

And I dont think i have a cold or im sick in any way, shape or form.

Also dont think its my tastebuds being dead from smoking because i was literally smoking a cigarrete without filter when my friend introduced me to vaping and i could taste it perfectly, as well as a couple weeks after that day. I can taste food perfectly fine. I can taste weed and actual tabaco perfectly fine.

The liquids im using are 70/30, from milkman, nasty, dinner lady, etc… decent brands. No reason for them to be the problem. I also keep them stored properly in the refrigerator as well.

I have tried to open the airflow as little as possible to maximize flavor, no dice…

Ive done all that and probably even more things that im forgetting to mention right now.

Unfortunately the friend that introduced me to vaping moved to another city in the middle of all this, so i cant even visit him and try to see if i can taste anything from his vape, so i cant tell if I am the problem or its my set up!

Really fellas, i dont know where to go from here on my own anymore, ive spent the last days researching like a maniac, videos on youtube, articles, the forum… everywhere, but still wasnt able to find anything that fixed this.

I was so excited with this new vaping experience and now its gone for no reason… wtf!

:(

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Assuming you're priming and breaking in the coils correctly, and this is occurring with more than one coil, and it doesn't taste burnt, you likely have vapers tongue. Suggested cures include sniffing freshly ground coffee, changing juices, gargling with lemon, and even having someone scare you have all been employed (oops the scared one is for hiccups).

Bottom line it will pass. The important part is getting the nicotine so you don't smoke. My advice, and personal experience, I'd just vape through it. Even if it doesn't have the flavor, it will still satisfy the need for nic to keep you away from cigs. It can last several days or a week, but it does pass and then everything tastes the way it should again. Not magic, just the way it goes.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’ve had vaper’s tongue and none of the remedies worked for me. Just time. It is the pits though and I sympathize.

I rotate a few flavors every day which helps, but it also seems a lot less common in long term users than new folk.

Lucky Patrick

May 9, 2019
Assuming you're priming and breaking in the coils correctly, and this is occurring with more than one coil, and it doesn't taste burnt, you likely have vapers tongue. Suggested cures include sniffing freshly ground coffee, changing juices, gargling with lemon, and even having someone scare you have all been employed (oops the scared one is for hiccups).

Bottom line it will pass. The important part is getting the nicotine so you don't smoke. My advice, and personal experience, I'd just vape through it. Even if it doesn't have the flavor, it will still satisfy the need for nic to keep you away from cigs. It can last several days or a week, but it does pass and then everything tastes the way it should again. Not magic, just the way it goes.

You don't need to juices in the fridge, just keep what you aren't using in a dark cupboard or drawer. Vapors tongue can take days to go away. Try a strong menthol or unflavored for a day or two.

I’ve had vaper’s tongue and none of the remedies worked for me. Just time. It is the pits though and I sympathize.

I rotate a few flavors every day which helps, but it also seems a lot less common in long term users than new folk.

Welcome to ECF, Lucky Patrick.
All joking aside - someone here suggested eating salted peanuts recently to help get taste back - I can't suggest anything else as thankfully I've never suffered from Vaper's Tongue. From everything I've read time will fix it though...

I too find that rotating flavours and devices keeps vaper's tongue (desensitised taste buds) at bay for me, ymmv ofc.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Letitia, Its actually a great place for me to store it. Even if its not necessary, there is a spot in the fridge that i never use, so it worked perfectly to put them there.

Its been two or three days like this already. Would not vaping at all be better or it doesnt matter? Should i completely stop vaping for a few days? Maybe that will speed things up?

Why do you guys recommend a menthol flavor?

I guess im just going to have to be patient then and hope for the best. Ill try the lemon and salted peanuts deal, which are the easier ones to get to.

I really appreciate all the help and replies guys. Its impressive how fast yall chimed in! Cheers people! :thumbs:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
You know, Lucky Patrick, I wonder if storing your juices in the fridge and at a lower temperature is part of the problem?

Cold storage is likely not helping the situation.

It’s not so much that juice doesn’t need to be in the fridge as much as it is that juice needs to NOT be in the fridge.

Unless your home environment is incredibly hot, like orchids are dying from the heat, room temp is best for juice.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If stopping vaping for a few days will lead you back to cigarettes then no, please don't stop. Just vape and know it'll pass in a few more days. The lack of flavor has nothing to do with whether it works to stay off cigarettes other than making it a more pleasurable experience.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
@Lucky Patrick there is nothing to over think here. New vapers get vaper's tongue, it just is and it will pass. Menthol is simply a palette cleanser of sorts. If you don’t brush or scrape you tongue daily you should start, it helps too.

Everytime you open a cold bottle of juice you are getting condensation inside of the bottle which will water down the flavor of your juice. Up to you if you listen to those with more experience.

Lucky Patrick

May 9, 2019
You know, Lucky Patrick, I wonder if storing your juices in the fridge and at a lower temperature is part of the problem?

Cold storage is likely not helping the situation.

It’s not so much that juice doesn’t need to be in the fridge as much as it is that juice needs to NOT be in the fridge.

Unless your home environment is incredibly hot, like orchids are dying from the heat, room temp is best for juice.

@Lucky Patrick there is nothing to over think here. New vapers get vaper's tongue, it just is and it will pass. Menthol is simply a palette cleanser of sorts. If you don’t brush or scrape you tongue daily you should start, it helps too.

Everytime you open a cold bottle of juice you are getting condensation inside of the bottle which will water down the flavor of your juice. Up to you if you listen to those with more experience.

Its happening with the new stuff i got in the mail as well.

I didnt mention anything because i didnt know it would matter, but when this loss of flavor thing started happening i ordered some new juice from a new source to see if the ones i had were the issue, and tried them as soon as i received in the mail when i got home from work.

Same thing... No difference between them and the ones coming out of the fridge. So its definitely not the cold storing.

Im surprised that you guys are saying the refrigerator is NOT a good place to store them. Ive read articles and saw youtube videos where it was mentioned this was the best place !

Im not against it or for it... i was just doing it because more than one source said it was the ideal place to keep them. But alrighty then, i guess ill stop doing that.

Where i live the temperature ranges from 84F to 113F. And my place doesnt get a lot of ventilation because i live by myself and im not home(at work) most of the day, so all windows/doors are kept closed for the most part.

What do you guys think its best? Take em all off the fridge or not?

If stopping vaping for a few days will lead you back to cigarettes then no, please don't stop. Just vape and know it'll pass in a few more days. The lack of flavor has nothing to do with whether it works to stay off cigarettes other than making it a more pleasurable experience.

Yeah for sure man. Just wondering. But i do feel like im burning through quality juice and $ meanwhile. :blush:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Its most likely vaper's tongue. You can get it at any point in time. I've been vaping for seven years, and I usually get it a couple times a year, probably from vaping the same flavor (flavor over-saturation) repeatedly. It helps to change up flavors from time to time. It generally goes away after a week or two on its own, but its probably different for everyone.

When I worked in a vape shop, an elderly customer who was a long time smoker would come into the shop about once a month to sample flavors. He must have had persistant vapers tongue because the only flavor that he could ever taste was red hot cinnamon. But he routinely came in every month in the hope that a new flavor might work.

So I would suggest trying a cinnamon (doesn't have to be "red hot" necessarily), menthol, or mint flavor. Those are the strongest flavors available to us.

Vaper's Tongue: What is it and what can be done?
The Dreaded Vaper’s Tongue: What is it, what causes it and how to cure it

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Certainly sounds like vaper's tongue, but I have never experienced it - maybe because I always have several devices on hand with different flavors and I am constantly rotating. That may not be an option for you, but variety has seemed to keep my taste buds engaged.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Why do you guys recommend a menthol flavor?

It works for me. If it's strong I can always taste it, and after a while I can go back to regular flavors.

They say you can't detect your own bad breath, because that aroma is always there so your brain tunes it out. I've heard speculation that vapor's tongue works the same way. So changing flavors frequently or going to completely different flavor like strong menthol, can clear the decks.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

What I've heard is that it won't help to keep it in the fridge, but it won't hurt it either. But if I lived in a place as hot as yours I would keep it in the fridge.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Its happening with the new stuff i got in the mail as well.

I didnt mention anything because i didnt know it would matter, but when this loss of flavor thing started happening i ordered some new juice from a new source to see if the ones i had were the issue, and tried them as soon as i received in the mail when i got home from work.

Same thing... No difference between them and the ones coming out of the fridge. So its definitely not the cold storing.

Im surprised that you guys are saying the refrigerator is NOT a good place to store them. Ive read articles and saw youtube videos where it was mentioned this was the best place !

Im not against it or for it... i was just doing it because more than one source said it was the ideal place to keep them. But alrighty then, i guess ill stop doing that.

Where i live the temperature ranges from 84F to 113F. And my place doesnt get a lot of ventilation because i live by myself and im not home(at work) most of the day, so all windows/doors are kept closed for the most part.

Yeah for sure man. Just wondering. But i do feel like im burning through quality juice and $ meanwhile. :blush:
Welcome, Lucky, and congrats on your progress so far!
Seems it's already concluded that it's vaper's tongue (and I agree) so I won't comment on that. I think people were recommending menthol flavors because you feel those as much as you taste them, so it gives you that smoking sensation whether you smoked menthols or not.

And as some have mentioned, switching flavors can have a big impact on your ability to taste them. I've tried a bunch of fruit & dessert flavors, but found I can't really stand anything sweet for more than a few hits. So I keep a tank of unflavored juice on hand to mix it up - and sometimes put just a drop or two of a lemon-lime ejuice in the tank. I think it actually helps a little bit to keep my taste buds on their toes that I also do different types that deliver totally different vapes. Over the course of a day, I'll switch for a while with two different types of tanks, and a couple of pods.

Most flavoring companies recommend cool dark storage, but don't recommend refrigeration. I haven't seen them recommend against it either, but I do know some flavorings are actually chemically altered by refrigeration, so I wouldn't do it. But truth is, for the amount of time it'd take to go thru a 30-60 ml bottle of juice, I seriously doubt they'd change that much or anyone could taste a difference.

Good luck to you!

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Not always tasting flavors led me to try flavorless. I didn't like the faint taste of coil and cotton, so I tried mixing in a very small amount of flavor--0.15%-0.25%

I make up batches of vanilla custard, coconut, and lime, and have tanks around to switch flavors. I rotate the flavors during the day. The result being that I don't taste the cotton/coils, and don't get vaper's tongue, either.

Hope this helps.

Ruben41771

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2019
South Africa, Cape Town
The best is to just keep on vaping till the taste come back, i just got back yesterday from a 2 week vapers tongue, i have rta's, rda's, sub ohm tanks and pod's, use some times 4 different flavors a day and doesn't help. Also tried all the best 10 ways to get rid of vapers tongue and nothing helps me. You will just wake one morning and all the sudden you will taste your vape ... like most said here as long you get your nic fix everything will be ok till the flavor returns. It's not permanent it will come back.
Like i said my vapors tongue sometimes last up to 2 weeks no matter what i do, and i dont smoke smoke's at all for about a year now.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread