Another old school vapor needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

epetrillo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
Riverside, CA
I settled on my mechanical mod ( GP Paps) and genesis style atty ( rocket science mods Rocket) years ago and haven't been paying attention to the new stuff. I don't know anything about sub ohm and regulated mods and feel lost. I would like to switch to a new setup that uses drop in cartridge style coils and wicks and vapes similar to what I'm use to ( not a "cloud chaser") . There is so much out there I don't even know where to start. Can anyone give me suggestions what to look at?

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I settled on my mechanical mod ( GP Paps) and genesis style atty ( rocket science mods Rocket) years ago and haven't been paying attention to the new stuff. I don't know anything about sub ohm and regulated mods and feel lost. I would like to switch to a new setup that uses drop in cartridge style coils and wicks and vapes similar to what I'm use to ( not a "cloud chaser") . There is so much out there I don't even know where to start. Can anyone give me suggestions what to look at?

Hi and welcome back.
Do you have the 1.2mm, single hole top cap or the dual or custom?
Have a peek at the Innokin Zenith.
If you are looking for a tube style mod, the EHPRO101 may be viable.

HTH
I

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi Izan,
I have a 1.2mm single hole top cap. I will check out you suggestions. Mainly what I am looking for is quick and easy coil and wick replacement and longer battery life.
Which battery did you use in the 'vari? What kind of run time was it /does it provide?
The Zenith might work for you, but getting a "super" tight draw from a newer "drop in coil" atty is a bit of a challenge.
Something else that might work is the new AA powered BATPACK

Do you have a budget?
Newer devices may require you to lower your nicotine levels. Will that be a deal breaker?

Cheers
I

epetrillo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
Riverside, CA
Which battery did you use in the 'vari? What kind of run time was it /does it provide?
The Zenith might work for you, but getting a "super" tight draw from a newer "drop in coil" atty is a bit of a challenge.

Do you have a budget?
Newer devices may require you to lower your nicotine levels. Will that be a deal breaker?

Cheers
I

My mod is a mechanical tube mod that uses a single 18490 battery. I go through 2 or 3 batteries a day. My budget is around $100 for a atty and mod. I currently vape 12mg liquid and have quite a bit on hand so would like to be able to use it up.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Buy an Innokin Cool Fire 40 W mod, and a Aspire Triton mini or a Nautilus 2 topper.
Install 1.8 Ohm coil in it.

It is one of the Best MTL setup for your 12 mg liquid, set at 8 to 10 watt power.

If you can afford a better, external battery mod, buy a Yihi SX mini ML class; it is a bit old, but still is the best single battery mod on the market.

epetrillo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
Riverside, CA
Buy an Innokin Cool Fire 40 W mod, and a Aspire Triton mini or a Nautilus 2 topper.
Install 1.8 Ohm coil in it.

It is one of the Best MTL setup for your 12 mg liquid, set at 8 to 10 watt power.

If you can afford a better, external battery mod, buy a Yihi SX mini ML class; it is a bit old, but still is the best single battery mod on the market.
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended buying an even older Yihi mini M class but it's like new and the price was right. Adding a Vapefly Nicolas mtl tank. If this doesn't work out for me I'll try again.

DHolly

ECF Veteran
  • Apr 1, 2014
    Kennesaw, GA. USA

Do you have a budget?

Cheers
    I

Wow! Obviously I’m old school and know nothing about this? Guessing it’s only pertaining to premade coils (I’m a diy coil & juice) u got my attention!

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
    Sep 13, 2016
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

epetrillo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I like the Nautilus when I am not wrapping coils on my Kayfuns. $2 coil and available anywhere. It adds a cotton note but it is the best overall to my taste (NET)

I've been wrapping oils for years on my genny and I'm ready for a break. If the Nicolas doesn't work out I may try a Nautilus. Which version do you like?

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
    Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    I use the Nicolas along with Aspire's MTL stuff. It's all good, although I get the impression that Nicolas coils are a bit thin on the ground. The airflow control on that tank is excellent.

The Nautilus and Triton mini(s) are fuss free & easy to use. The Triton mini has easy top fill. The N2 is very good, but refilling is sometimes a bit soggy. The bottom fill on the Mini is fine - it's not a hassle, and there's no gurgling or flooding whatsoever. The N2 and Triton Mini both have the airflow to support more power, if that's your thing.

Forgive the ramble!

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
    Sep 13, 2016
    • Deleted by retired1

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
    Sep 13, 2016
    • Deleted by retired1

sdennislee

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2012
    Alaska
    Also more interested in flavor than big clouds of vapor.
    For flavor I really like the Aspire Revvo tank, tons of flavor. Another favorite for flavor is the Uwell Valyrian. Both are sub ohm tanks. I use the SMOK Alien as my mod. The Alien will likely come with a SMOK TFV* Baby Beast tank, not a bad tank but not enough tank capacity for me.

Aspire Revvo Subohm Tank with ARC Coil Technology $19.89 - EJuice Connect

Uwell Valyrian Atomizer

SMOK Alien 220W TC Starter Kit | w/ TFV8 Baby Beast

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2015
    Kent - United Kingdom
    A word about the Batpack... In my opinion, it is an AIO which can split in two.
    The 'mod' part of Batpack is powered by two AA cell is series. It feed the topper with 1.85 Volt fixed.

The ’topper’ part of the Batpack is an old-school cartomiser tank. The only unusual thing about it, is its 0.5 Ohm resistance, but there is a reason.

With the voltage and resistance combination above, you end up with a cartomiser tank driven with 6 Watt of power, the same power you can find with a cig-alike.

As matter of fact, 6 Watts is the max power you can achieve with AA batteries, and the extremely high efficiency of the carto tank employed here come to the rescue.

This said, the mod of the Batpack cannot drive any other topper, as all common small tanks have a 1.8 to 2.1 Ohm resistance.
    This is why I said the Batpack is a ''locked' combination, almost as an AIO.
    It has its use in peculiar situation, where the user do not want to deal with lithium batteries, or as an emergency vape backup. With its list price, it cannot be considered a throwaway device.

epetrillo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I just received my Vapefly Nicolas and have to say that I'm very satisfied with it. I will have to see how long the coils last but if reasonable there is a lot to like about this small MTL tank. I also have a Kayfun Prime on the way. Haven't tried a Kayfun since the first one that came out.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    A word about the Batpack... In my opinion, it is an AIO which can split in two.
    The 'mod' part of Batpack is powered by two AA cell is series. It feed the topper with 1.85 Volt fixed.

The ’topper’ part of the Batpack is an old-school cartomiser tank. The only unusual thing about it, is its 0.5 Ohm resistance, but there is a reason.

With the voltage and resistance combination above, you end up with a cartomiser tank driven with 6 Watt of power, the same power you can find with a cig-alike.

As matter of fact, 6 Watts is the max power you can achieve with AA batteries, and the extremely high efficiency of the carto tank employed here come to the rescue.

This said, the mod of the Batpack cannot drive any other topper, as all common small tanks have a 1.8 to 2.1 Ohm resistance.
    This is why I said the Batpack is a ''locked' combination, almost as an AIO.
    It has its use in peculiar situation, where the user do not want to deal with lithium batteries, or as an emergency vape backup. With its list price, it cannot be considered a throwaway device.

VERY interesting, Ray. I had spent little time looking into these, until your post. Do you see any way of using old skool cartos in the tank? I'm thinking not, but it's worth the kwestion.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2015
    Kent - United Kingdom
    The classic 510 cartos I have, don't fit the tank of the Batpak. Even if they would have had, their 2.5 Ohm resistance can't operate with the 1.85 Volt output.
    Again, the Batpack is a nice setup, a bit pricey for what it is IMO, and intended to be operated as it come out of the box.
    When I buy a new mod/clearo setup, the first thing I do, is to replace the tank with one of mine. It seems to be not the case here, the low power - subohm tank is a rather rare occurrence...

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
    Sep 13, 2016
    • Deleted by retired1

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I used the N2 to quit and I liked it a fair bit. I do use the Nautilus coils though, although in different tanks nowadays. I liked the Nicolas Vapefly too, at the time I thought it was super cloudy, LOL but nowadays it's in the realm of normal. You can definitely close down the N2 more.

I think it gets better flavor (the N2) than some of the older models but I am sure glad it was around for quitting, and I still love that coil (my favorite is the 1.6 it's a nice balance between the 1.8 and the 0.7) but I use it in Kabuki tanks, and also an Ijoy elf which I also think are nice tanks, and they fix most of the N2 problems (less of a cage, so less metal to act as a heat sink, better flavor, true 2 ml capacity and much easier topfill system as well as more flavor (I'm pretty sure). I think they're getting hard to find, and they also have proprietary coils, although I think the Nautilus coils are better.

I also must say you aren't going to beat the Kabuki for flavor with those coils, but it's a bottom fill system, and 3 ml not 2, but I'm glad I bought a couple, even though they were one of my heart stopping vape item purchases, honestly, but I use them all the time.

If you want something even a bit more robust, any Joytech CLR accepting tanks can be nice with the 1.0 coil (which can be rewicked and rebuilt fairly easily, well, something like an ego mega v2 or a Tron S or an Oddessy totally wicked tank, you might enjoy those coils. I (personally) have a hard time keeping those tanks alive, but I seem to be the only person having that trouble and granted I'm hard on my gear, honestly, but if I get an "ohms not reading" message one more time... LOL. I will say the Oddessy tank is the only one that doesn't give me that message although to be fair, it also travels from my vape stand to my mouth and nowhere else. I have a couple of the 2 ml ego one original tanks and I will say the flavor is even BETTER (mainly, because I made a stern commitment to NOT buy any more of those tanks) although the refilling frequency and process on them is a bit grim although they are holding up fine so far....

I think the COILS get more life than my tanks do, but I will for SURE say, I seem to be the only person having this issue, IDK what it is with me and those tanks, although I am betting it's a "me" problem, I'm also mentioning it because if you like the Nicolas Vapefly, I guess I'd compare the 1.0 CLR coil to THAT system on steroids as far as vape density and flavor, and I think you might like it.

Best of luck,

Anna

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 11, 2014
    Iowa United States
    I've been wrapping oils for years on my genny and I'm ready for a break. If the Nicolas doesn't work out I may try a Nautilus. Which version do you like?
    The way i understand it it your not going to get better flavor anywhere compared to the legendery gennie but i Defenlty could be wrong lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread