Another one for the Reo modders out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
For months now my lab rat Grand (actually who I'm I kidding, all my Reo are potential lab rats) has been giving me the stink eye from my "what was I thinking" shelf...it's last incarnation had it hybrid'ed to a Nimby with a V Max chip hot glued to it :facepalm:

20140427_181400.jpg

Shear ugliness aside, 15W?, did 15W really do it for me back in the day? Hmmm...

Seeing as it was one of my first full flat-top mill jobs and the stock 510 had been drilled out with a new barrel pressed in and silver soldered...I had no choice but to build another Hybrid...but custom fab'ing a center pin and swapping rda's once it's hybrid'ed and bf'd is a pita, I wanted to be sure on my choice and lately for me the Magma is as good as it get's for my style of vaping.

I thought that having to make a brass pin with M3 threads on one end, M5 threads on the connector end (for beefyness) and a 4mm smooth shank in the middle then drill a hole right down the center was going to be brutal...as freaky luck would have it, I nailed it on first attempt (I'll never be able to make another one :facepalm:)...and yes, it's been soaked...

The pos. connector is out of a 30A DC relay (beryllium copper, polished silver contact) is pressed down with a shortened stock button and is set to 1mm of travel (flat tops only)...for the neg. I've just got crap springs in there for testing, I haven't decide where I'm going with that yet (probably the "no spring fuse"). I built .15 worth of 24 awg micro's with 3mm German silica (still my fav., can't seem to shake it)...it's still pretty rough around the edges, (don't mind the holes :p) but this is my best Super Grand yet

I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea (in fact maybe no ones?) but if Rob ever decided to build an SVT (special vaping team) Grand...

20141011_072536.jpg 20141011_072715.jpg

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I totally agree, .15 on say something like an Atomic would be unvapable...but the shear metal mass, airflow design, domed cap, massive juice reserve or some incomprehensible combination of all of them handles deep sub ohm without blowing your head off and with the 3mm wick, it's just a guishy wet mouthful of flavour...sure, they have the efficiency of a '72 Fleetwood and I've had to make special 4mg Magma juice but I love these things...

As for the button travel, I'm a masher...if I don't have a really short throw and a solid contact feel my OCD kicks in...as you guys may be able to tell from most of my mods, I could really give a crap what something looks like...form is waaay down the list.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I asked because i have a very short throw on a few of mine, but not limited in the way you did - for one thing i don't have the same firing pin setup you do.

It limits the batteries you can use without making changes to the spring/fuse or firing pin setup and that's not something easy to do on the fly, so i was thinking an adjustable firing pin would have more traction is all.

T

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I hear ya, but I tend to do a lot of matching up, specific RDA's with specific mods (like my Hybrids where I have no choice). I also tend to pair batts with mods (sort of how I keep track...like I said, OCD)...for example, my Woodvil mech's throw was set up for my LG's which are a good discharge match for the Atomic's 1.2 ohm build which is the best heat for this subtle, high PG green tea juice I run in it...I can't run VTC5's in it without it phantom firing.

I do have a couple universal mod's like my Bogger and my copper vein which is as Rob built it, but most are highly tweaked

...I don't expect my systems to make sense to anybody, and if it does, I have medication for that :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread