FDA ANOTHER Petition for the FDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelzmike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
United States
Cmon people...there are more than 1,890 people on this forum right now! I know the petition just started, but we would be a lot closer if everyone stopped reading for 4 minutes and get the ball rolling. :)

Mike

Nearly doubled since I posted this an hour ago...at this pace we should be at 100,000 by Saturday! But wait till the daytimers come on and we will have this thing licked. NICE!

Ms.P

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Mid-Missouri, USA
PLEASE STOP!!!

(1) We were asked to WAIT for CASAA to issue some guidance on what we should do and when.

(2) The petition contains false statements. The very first sentence is FALSE. The FDA has only PROPOSED regulations.

(3) The petition is poorly worded and contains spelling, grammar, and syntax errors. It doesn't help us if it reads as if it was written by a third-grader.

I understand how you feel; we're all _____ (nervous, scared, angry). But we can't go off half-cocked on our own with a petition here and a letter there. We need to put forth a unified effort and we need to do it intelligently.

Please don't sign the petition. WAIT for CASAA's guidance.

If you're not a member of CASAA, please join. If you are a member, please donate!

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com
PLEASE STOP!!!

Thank you for shouting in bold red there and your statement. You were much more eloquent about it than I was in other places where people have been passing the link around encouraging people to vote.

As I expressed elsewhere, this petition, if it gets anywhere, makes all of us look bad, period. The content is horrendous, misleading, confusing, and written by someone who probably doesn't understand a few essential things too well. A civics class might also be in order considering the purpose of those petitions and the fact that we're talking about the FDA here. I think someone went shooting from the hip, all gung-ho, out of the gate, more brawns than brains and such a rushed approach with lack of tactical execution is going to do more harm than good if it gets enough votes.

I hope everyone here is a little more mature and has a better understanding of the reality of the situation because me trying to explain why people should *not* vote on this has been met with lots of accusations that "at least they're doing something". *sigh*

Ms.P

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Mid-Missouri, USA
Thank you for shouting in bold red there and your statement. You were much more eloquent about it than I was in other places where people have been passing the link around encouraging people to vote.

As I expressed elsewhere, this petition, if it gets anywhere, makes all of us look bad, period. The content is horrendous, misleading, confusing, and written by someone who probably doesn't understand a few essential things too well. A civics class might also be in order considering the purpose of those petitions and the fact that we're talking about the FDA here. I think someone went shooting from the hip, all gung-ho, out of the gate, more brawns than brains and such a rushed approach with lack of tactical execution is going to do more harm than good if it gets enough votes.

I hope everyone here is a little more mature and has a better understanding of the reality of the situation because me trying to explain why people should *not* vote on this has been met with lots of accusations that "at least they're doing something". *sigh*

I know. I started a firestorm on FB. :) It was horrible. Two people actually said it doesn't matter what the petition says, or how it's said - even so what if it contains some false information - at least "we" are doing something. I was just about to "feed the animals" when the entire thread - and one or two others - was deleted. Saved me. lol

StefanDidak

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2014
Oakley, CA, USA
www.stefandidak.com
I know. I started a firestorm on FB. :) It was horrible. Two people actually said it doesn't matter what the petition says, or how it's said - even so what if it contains some false information - at least "we" are doing something. I was just about to "feed the animals" when the entire thread - and one or two others - was deleted. Saved me. lol

Ha. Well, the only thing they had correct was that "they" were "doing something". It's the cream of the crop in activism, when something important happens that's going to affect millions of lives, just "go do something". Anything. Something. Doesn't matter what it is. Something. One person told me "then you go write a better one and we'll vote on that too". It really makes me worry what would happen with crowds like that if something happened outside of the confines of their computer screens and how they'd behave that way during, oh, an actual natural disaster or something of the sort. Eek.

Another really great comment was that it didn't matter because it would "force a response" just like with the funny Death Star petition that the WH had to respond to. Uh, yes, but that was satire and in no way serious, so you get a response in kind. OK, great, everyone had some fun. What response would they expect out of this thing? If I were in charge or that response it would be a chapter on civics and a bunch of links to free resources where they could read up on how the government branches work. But if that's all they're after we can provide that response without having the WH involved. :)

What I worry about more than the person who wrote that "petition" is the people who voted on it. I wonder how many actually read it. And the ones that did and still voted, how they could even think it made sense.

Ms.P

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Mid-Missouri, USA
Ha. Well, the only thing they had correct was that "they" were "doing something". It's the cream of the crop in activism, when something important happens that's going to affect millions of lives, just "go do something". Anything. Something. Doesn't matter what it is. Something. One person told me "then you go write a better one and we'll vote on that too". It really makes me worry what would happen with crowds like that if something happened outside of the confines of their computer screens and how they'd behave that way during, oh, an actual natural disaster or something of the sort. Eek.

Another really great comment was that it didn't matter because it would "force a response" just like with the funny Death Star petition that the WH had to respond to. Uh, yes, but that was satire and in no way serious, so you get a response in kind. OK, great, everyone had some fun. What response would they expect out of this thing? If I were in charge or that response it would be a chapter on civics and a bunch of links to free resources where they could read up on how the government branches work. But if that's all they're after we can provide that response without having the WH involved. :)

What I worry about more than the person who wrote that "petition" is the people who voted on it. I wonder how many actually read it. And the ones that did and still voted, how they could even think it made sense.

A voice of reason at 3 AM. Refreshing.

Someone in the New Members forum is claiming credit for the petition. And someone else has posted another petition on another site. When I was there, 32 people had signed. But that petition has absolutely no substance. He claims it will bankrupt small vendors, put thousands out of work, and lead to deaths (of people continue or resume smoking, I presume), but offers no facts, nor any data, to back them up. He also had no responses to his post. Except mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread