Another Victim of CC Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordong11

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2012
Delray Beach, FL (SE FL)
There is no doubt a vaping supplier has Credit Card Fraud problems. I have ONLY used my bank account debit card for vaping supplies in the last 2 weeks for online purchases, and in the last 3 days I have had 7 fraud purchases. I have fraud purchases from Navyfield, Vopium, and Charity water (1st fraud, must been testing). Total $215, I'm glad my account went into the negative which raised the redflag. Please be careful when using a bank account debit card, and Vendors please check your security. Please do a better job in policing yourselves and staff access to card numbers. I have only bought from well known vendors and I won't single out. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

Added: Use either a credit Card or goto the store and buy a pre-paid card or gift card, then buy supplies. I think my bank guarantees only $300, so I should be ok, but will be a while before i get that money back.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i always use my credit card rather than my atm card when purchasing ANYTHING online, at restaurants, gas stations, pretty much everywhere. using your debit card/atm card for anything other than YOUR banks atm is putting you at risk. certain vendors wil lbe more of a risk than others, but this is a general rule of thumb. better safe than sorry. also, credit card purchases can be disputed, debit card purchases are much more difficult to dispute due to the fat that your debit card has REAL money on it. a credit card has credit.

edit: trusted, big name banks are safe atms too. its just the wacky one-off ATMs that im told are less than savory.

FYI this info is not the end all be all, its just what ive been told. its helpful to me so im passing it on.

edit #2 sorry about your fraud! glad to hear it wasnt a huge issue to get your money back. :vapor:

Last edited:

gordong11

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2012
Delray Beach, FL (SE FL)
It pisses me off, I am not buying from unkown vendors and I have been buying online for a long time and never had an issue. It's probably a rogue employee stealing card numbers because I I always check the SSL security before a purchase on any site I buy from and like I said I haven't bought from tiny vendors, but one and that was a month ago.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
It pisses me off, I am not buying from unkown vendors and I have been buying online for a long time and never had an issue. It's probably a rogue employee stealing card numbers because I I always check the SSL security before a purchase on any site I buy from and like I said I haven't bought from tiny vendors, but one and that was a month ago.

I feel ya. I too have used my debit card online a lot for years no problem then after I started vaping my account was cleaned out twice in less than 6 months.

WCSR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Earth
I've read several threads on here of people talking about this happening to them. Maybe its time we start calling out the vendors. Only if you know for sure which vendor was responsible. Just seems to me with the frequency that this is happening maybe its time to specifically warn others of who to avoid.
Or... The people that have experienced it need to compare notes via PM, and then try to narrow it down. Then turn it over to their CC companies and let the rest of us know.

b0redagain

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2011
Denver, CO
I've read several threads on here of people talking about this happening to them. Maybe its time we start calling out the vendors. Only if you know for sure which vendor was responsible. Just seems to me with the frequency that this is happening maybe its time to specifically warn others of who to avoid.
Generally, it's the card processor, not the vendor. Perhaps if we find out the card processor we could convince the vendor to make a change to another processor.

CigFreedMike

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2012
New England
Thanks for posting this. I haven't had that problem (yet), but I stopped using my atm card for internet purchases because of this post and I really appreciate the warning. Over the years I've had a few fraudulent encounters with my cards but the credit card agencies were pretty good about it. I would think they spend a lot of time figuring out these things, fortunately.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Below is a re-post of mine from yet another fraud thread. Feel free to PM me if anyone cares to compare vendor purchases. In no way would it be proper to name a suspected vendor in open forum, but if enough matches are found, perhaps we could give the vendor/vendors a heads up privately.

I can personally attest that a hacked CC is a complete PIA. I actually was notified of suspicious activity while on vacation! Good thing I had funds available through my debit card, or I would have been in a real fix. To make matters worse, my AMEX card had expired at the end of May, and since I hadn't used it in a long time, I hadn't noticed.

This was last Thursday, and I still haven't received the new card. I have five different bills that are on auto pilot with this card, and I can not reauthorize these bills until I receive the new card. Sigh.

In light of this, I had my bank issue me a separate card today that will only be used for online purchases. At least when the new card is compromised, I'll still have a good one in place.

Good news is, while a hassle, we should keep in mind that cardholders are not responsible for any fraudulent charges due to online purchases, and is limited to $50 (if memory serves) to cards presented in person so long as notice of fraud is given to the lender promptly.

3 big credit card data breach secrets- MSN Money

Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, which protects consumers in the case of credit card fraud, federal law limits liability for fraudulent charges to $50 in most cases. But if the card is not presented in the actual transaction -- i.e., the card number is stolen and used online -- then cardholders aren't responsible for any fraudulent charges.

Debit cards are covered by a different law, the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (.pdf file). Under the EFTA, consumers have no liability for unauthorized access when the card (or "access device") was not lost or stolen.

I am not implying that card issuers would try to hold consumers liable for fraudulent transactions as the result of a data breach. But cardholders who do run into any problems as the result of one should realize that federal law is on their side.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
You might also want to contact all the companies you bought from -- not in a "it's your fault" way, but to say that you made purchases from X number of vendors in the last month and someone at the processing company stole your info. You have no idea which vendors' data got ripped off but if they hear similar things from several clients they might want to take a look at the company they are using.

By the way, many of these skimmers are huge business, stealing thousands of numbers. They don't always get used immediately so it could be the smaller company you used a month earlier.

gordong11

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2012
Delray Beach, FL (SE FL)
You might also want to contact all the companies you bought from -- not in a "it's your fault" way, but to say that you made purchases from X number of vendors in the last month and someone at the processing company stole your info. You have no idea which vendors' data got ripped off but if they hear similar things from several clients they might want to take a look at the company they are using.

By the way, many of these skimmers are huge business, stealing thousands of numbers. They don't always get used immediately so it could be the smaller company you used a month earlier.

I have done this in a very not your fault way, and not a one has responded, I just hope they do something to upgrade their security. My bank does guarantee 100% against fraud but takes a while to get money back

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Folks, for those of you who had your cc numbers stolen, please download malwarebytes or microsoft essentials and run both on your computer. Microsoft is free but malwarebytes isn't...can be cheaply purchased on ebay. I had this happen only to find out that I had a keylogger on my computer. They went on an apple itunes spending spree and tried to buy tracfone minutes. Little did they know, I don't have overdraft on my "vaping account" and a rep called me. I recovered the money and my bank went after them...and caught the kid (yes kid) that stole my info. I had to write a statement out so that it could be used in court to prosecute him. One of the bank computer guys came out and went through my computer and found what the kid implanted, removed it after further tracing it back to him for evidence. He told me about the 2 programs, I asked a few folks about them also, and haven't had a problem since.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Good info, Hairball. Malwarebytes is probably the best malware utility you can run. It's available in a free version that notifies you when (after) an infection occurs, but everyone needs to pay the $24.95 lifetime fee to activate the real time scanning feature. Once you do that, it prevents you from going to rogue sites that implant keyloggers and trojans. Paying the registration means the difference in NOT getting infected versus only being told AFTER you are infected.

I get blocked by Malwarebytes several times a week when I click a link. My browser tells the the web site can't be found, and MWB pops up in my taskbar and tells me access to a rogue site was blocked and displays the URL of the site.

Another good practice is to get a pre-paid debit card. Green Dot or Walmart are good ones. You just transfer money to the card before you make an online purchase. Otherwise, it has no money on it to steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread