Anti-THR Lies: Ecig proponents need to learn lessons from other activists

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
But if you only look at lung cancers, which are a lot more likely to have smoking as a contributing cause, does that hold up?
No, but this is important in the issue of passive smoking, where non-smokers' exposure to HPV is not very dissimilar to smokers' exposure and is presumably larger than non-passive smoke exposed never smokers, for socioeconomic reasons.

Reactions: nicnik

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
????

I thought MS was a genetic faux pas?

Andria
Genes are only part of the story in MS - as one study says, "the mechanism through which HLA genes influence the risk of MS may, at least in part, involve the immune control of EBV infection."

Also, I meant to write "HPV and cervical cancer" up there (now corrected). Sorry, I just woke up.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Genes are only part of the story in MS - as one study says, "the mechanism through which HLA genes influence the risk of MS may, at least in part, involve the immune control of EBV infection."

Also, I meant to write "HPV and cervical cancer" up there (now corrected). Sorry, I just woke up.

Ok... I know what HPV is... but EBV is a new one on me... What is it? I know that viruses can do awful things to genes, so I suppose it stands to reason that a "genetic" condition could have an interface with a virus.

Andria

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Reactions: AndriaD

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Virus in cattle linked to breast cancer in women - The Times of India

When the data was analysed statistically, the odds of having breast cancer if BLV were present was 3.1 times greater than if BLV was absent.

"This odds ratio is higher than any of the frequently publicised risk factors for breast cancer, such as obesity, alcohol consumption and use of post-menopausal hormones," said study lead author Gertrude Buehring, professor at University of California, Berkeley's School of Public Health.

They found that 59 percent of breast cancer samples had evidence of exposure to BLV.

By contrast, 29 percent of the tissue samples from women who never had breast cancer showed exposure to BLV.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
It could use a few studies that confirm this, otherwise it's just one. Also, there's a lot more information in the actual study than in the mass media.
PLOS ONE: Exposure to Bovine Leukemia Virus Is Associated with Breast Cancer: A Case-Control Study

"A recent study of the potential of next generation sequencing (massively parallel sequencing) to identify new viral agents of cancer resulted in data that argued against a viral etiology of human breast cancer based on analysis of transcriptome data [47]. However, since transcriptome data rests upon mRNA transcription, BLV was likely not detected because it is so latent in vivo that any mRNA produced would probably be below a detectable level. In previous studies of BLV-infected lymphocytes circulating in the blood of infected cattle with persistent lymphocytosis (a premalignant state), mRNA transcription was detected in only 1 in 50,000 infected cells [48]."

And:
"One potential challenge confronting the elucidation of BLV’s route of transmission to humans is the long agricultural association of humans with cattle, which began over 2,000 years ago, while milk pasteurization in western countries was not standard practice until around 1925 [58]. This would have allowed ample time for BLV to enter the human population and become established, yet still be reentering the human population under certain circumstances. The current reservoir for transmission to humans could, therefore, be cattle, humans, or both."

Reactions: nicnik

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Yes, the Cancer Society knows about viruses and cancer. But that doesn't mean their studies have been properly done to prevent confounding. They cynically exploit it instead.

William C. Phelps, PhD, seems to have been working with papillomaviruses since 1983. He worked with big names like Peter Howley and Karl Münger at the Laboratory of Tumor Virus Biology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD. (And, did you know that Howley was then on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Council for tobacco Research?)
Phelps WC - PubMed - NCBI

And then he was with Big Pharma, first Burroughs Wellcome Co. and then as head of the department of Virology for GlaxoSmithKline.
William C. Phelps, PhD

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
There really needs to be laws against all that incestuosity between gov't, education/research, and corporate interests. It's not in AMERICA'S interest at all!!!

Andria
Are you referring to William C. Phelps? He's the relatively good one of that lot at the Cancer Society. The rest believe in blaming smoking and lifestyle for diseases, but not infections (except for non-smoking health cultists who get sick). And what's your plan - that if someone gets a job in industry, they're forever banned from getting a job at the National Cancer Institute or at a university, and vice versa? It just goes to prove how worthless it is to rant about "incestuosity" as if it's automatically a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread