Anxiety/Panic?...not again. Say it ain't so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbishop

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2009
SLC, UT U.S.A.
Your symptoms sound EXACTLY like mine. I have discussed this problem in this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0463-feeling-strange-major-panic-attacks.html

I was particularly struck by the statement about how you would at one point just take a couple of drags then BAM, major panic attack (panic state probably lasting several hours?), like something was building up in your system for a couple of days and then it went over a threshold limit...

Finances are low at the moment to prevent much further experimentation right away, and I lost an e-cig so I should get another battery and atomizer since my spare battery doesn't work properly - plus I'll need to order more juice from JC. But the only thing that is probably going to work for me is the Johnson Creek Tennessee Flue Cured 24 mg VG formulation. I hardly dare experiment with my e-cig using my current mix which may contain up to 40 or 50 percent PG unless I am on my clonopin and even then I'm still wary. Personally, I'm still very strongly inclined to believe the symptoms are a peculiar response to the PG used in the formulation. Experiments suggest the VG doesn't give me this problem, and I've also found that very restricted use of the e-cig can still cause me to begin to experience these feelings even though I'm getting so much less nicotine than from smoking that by the time I find I'm in a borderline panic state and need to go back to the analogs I get a nicotine high because my level is so low. This is not to rule out the likelyhood that too much nicotine from e-smoking may also produce panic symptoms, only to say that I'm personally convinced that, in my case, it is the PG that must be the source of my unfortunate problem with these desirable devices.

Consider trying JC's VG formulation in a clean cartridge and see how that does for ya. And good luck. Thanks for reporting this as there must be others who will experience this unfortunate reaction.

Hangtime

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2009
Anxiety sucks, I deal with it daily. I dont take any meds for it and everyone is different. I just try to center my mind. Can't say it always works but sometimes it does. Deep breaths and concentrate on nothing is how I center my mind. Hang in there and try not to stress about anything, if vapeing makes it worse, its simple, dont do it. IMHO panic causes stress and stress is a bigger killer than anything.

edlogic

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
jax fla usa
www.edlogic.com
at first i had no trouble with panic attacks - but then i tried adding vg and flavoring and bam it hit me like a freight train - i did not recognize which one it was until i tried another bottle of juice that i had not added anything and i can vape that with no trouble at all

so i am trying to see which one it is that is causing the fuzzyheadedness / panic attacks - the vg or the flavoring -

after vaping a while with no trouble - i added a drop of vg to the cart and vaped that - no prob - so after a bit i added another drop of vg to the cart and still no prob for several minutes

but now after about 15 minutes waiting around i feel a little bit of the effect
so now i am starting to think that vg is a problem for me

i will have to keep experimenting and try adding a little flavor next time and see

edlogic

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
jax fla usa
www.edlogic.com
at first i had no trouble with panic attacks - but then i tried adding vg and flavoring and bam it hit me like a freight train - i did not recognize which one it was until i tried another bottle of juice that i had not added anything and i can vape that with no trouble at all

so i am trying to see which one it is that is causing the fuzzyheadedness / panic attacks - the vg or the flavoring -

after vaping a while with no trouble - i added a drop of vg to the cart and vaped that - no prob - so after a bit i added another drop of vg to the cart and still no prob for several minutes

but now after about 15 minutes waiting around i feel a little bit of the effect
so now i am starting to think that vg is a problem for me

i will have to keep experimenting and try adding a little flavor next time and see

since i added 2 whole drops of vg that time and it was several minutes before i started thinking that it might be the vg - i thought i should try the flavoring

i tried something different this time with just pg and flavoring and the ejuice that i vape with no trouble -

this time i felt a little trouble right away
now i am really thinking it is the flavoring

see this thread post http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...strange-major-panic-attacks-7.html#post430623

T-BAYJ

Jul 16, 2009
Tampa Bay , FL
I'll be a good candidate for testing the effects of anxiety with vaping and anxiety , being that if the wind blows the wrong way ..I'll get anxiety

been diagnosed with agoraphobia years ago ..which is a lot worse then GAD
dont take any antidepressants because I dont trust 'em and side effects

been known to munch on some xanax to help with it , which isnt great , but better then treating it the old fashioned way ...with alcohol

in a day or two will be getting my first kit (510) and 100 ml of 24mg juice and I plan to vape like chong smokes if thats what takes to get off these damn analogs
I dont care if I have to pop xanax like tic-tacs ..ive got to get off analogs

I once about 12 years ago had a nicotine overdose on the patch , working in the sun started sweating made the patch saturate till it littraly made it fall off ..and it was a horrible experiance .got so de-realized felt like I was in a state of severe psycosis

after some time with my kit . I will post back to let others know my results

edlogic

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
jax fla usa
www.edlogic.com
since i added 2 whole drops of vg that time and it was several minutes before i started thinking that it might be the vg - i thought i should try the flavoring

i tried something different this time with just pg and flavoring and the ejuice that i vape with no trouble -

see this thread post http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...strange-major-panic-attacks-7.html#post430623

i just mixed 50 percent regular marlboro flavor 36 mg and 25 percent pg and 25 percent vg

i vaped this over the last hour and no problem - so now i am quite sure that the problem i am having is the flavoring that i added before

now i am adverse to putting any flavoring in

edlogic

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
jax fla usa
www.edlogic.com
which flavorings did you use?

i don't know if i should mention the company in a public post so i will ask anyone that wants to know to private message me about it

i will say that it is coconut flavor - i have not tried the cherry and vanilla flavor from the same source but i would surmize it would have the same effect

i guess i will use the flavorings in food rather than vaping

i will say that it is from a very popular supplier that i found mentioned in other places in this forum - not an ecig or ejuice supplier but a general oil / flavor supplier

on the bottle it says artificial - so it is not real stuff

if a moderator sees this then i would like to ask them if i should mention the company or not

btw - i did send you a pm answer to your question

Last edited:

Chorizo

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
IN
Yeah, I take pills for that stuff. I have "Anxiety Disorder, NOS" which means they can't figure out what the heck is wrong with me.

When I first got my e-cig, I was totally worried about the nicotine increasing my heart rate, if my heart rate goes up, I panic because I am certain I will die. This is probably TMI, but whatever. It's late, I'm tired, blah blah blah.

It's weird to worry about it because, logically, these things are better for your health than an analog. But on the other hand, you KNOW what an analog does to you, the e-cig is an unknown and that's kinda freaky.

I wore gloves while handling the liquid, I try to vape low to no nic just for the fact that I flip out if I spill it on my hand, plus that ridiculous increased heart rate thing. I still worry what these things do to me, but, as I see it, it's better than smoking a Camel light.

I feel bad for you because, yeah, panic attacks suck. And having them return after such a long break must have been a bit unsettling, to say the least.

"Having anxiety attacks about having anxiety attacks" is actually called Panic Disorder.

Stimulants (like caffiene and nicotine, niether of which I can manage to keep away from) are bound to increase previously existing anxiety. Doctors tell me to quit the coffee all the time, but I won't do it. If I just have one cup, I'm fine, two or three or four too close to one another, and I can't go anywhere or do anything or think straight because the anxiety gets so bad.

Anything in moderation. . .

Anyway, I don't know what the point of this post was for me. Maybe try low or zero nic. I used the patches to quit for six weeks and did so successfully, but went absolutely crazy and missed my habit so I went to e-cigs. I like them, but, like you (just not as severe) they worry me a bit. So maybe try zero nic juice and a patch at the same time? Using juice with nicotine AND a patch would be a terrible idea, so I would go with zero nic, satisfy your mental addiction and the habit portion of it with the e-cig, and get the nicotine from the patch? Just a suggestion.

Also, e-cigs DON'T have the other crap in them that analogs do. An analog is almost like smoking an anti-depressant. Nicotine stimulates dopamine receptors in the brain and then there's these added chemicals that inhibit MAOI receptors.

I went batsh** when I quit, anxiety through the roof, crazy mood swings. It was awful, even with the patch, the habit was not there, that was crucial for me to have, apparently.

Geez, I rambled. Someone feel free to remove this if you want.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Go ahead, ramble away, the space is free...sometimes takes a lot of words to say what you mean. I agree with Edlogic, I stay away from the flavorings as much as possible, I went with tobacco flavors exclusively even though I never tasted tobacco that tasted like juice or vice-versa.
I want my juice to be just as bare-bones as possible, am so upset with JC's "new" stuff, it just isn't the same any more, but I have to go with it just because I feel they make good stuff, I never felt comfortable doing "imports", I don't know, that's just me. I just want the least harmful ingredients possible, the most reliable PV (Janty Stick, for me,) with plenty of parts on hand. That way I can eliminate that Panic from the mix as much as possible. 24 mg juice is my limit, and I have begun to bring that down slowly with plain VG (cannot use PG) so we'll see. But that panic can come from over-doing the nicotine density, I do know that. It is an awful and very lonely thing to have to deal with, no meds for me. Yes, I have to have my 100% Columbian to go with my PV. I'd be in dire trouble doing without either or both. Like in the bathroom crying trouble.

MissVapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
Vapin Hot Florida

Im almost positive it IS the flavoring..I am prone to anxiety and NEVER experience it with VG.. but have had bad reactions w/some of the loranns and PG liquids from other companies.

RavenII

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Chicago
Wow!...I thought this thread was dead, I only came to read the reaction to the FDA news after seeing E-cig news on Engadget...

Lots of enlightening information and insight...I posted all my stuff in the classifieds section. If it sells..it sells. If not?...well, I MIGHT go back to it...

Come to think of it...the anxiety which lasted 3 days (which could have and probably was self perpetuated) began after I mixed what was left of my WetYourStick and EliquidPlanet tobacco flavored together...I wonder if that's what it was.

Just curious...is the tobacco flavored, literally flavored because of the tobacco? or do they mix flavorings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread