Any members live in Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
I have a good idea of where they will probably be but was hoping someone would say which market, to save me some time as only have 2 days!

dc, your asking for 'samples' made me smile, I was once told by a chinese colleague that my bartering skills were as good as a local's, as I had got something so cheap, whether I will get any freebies, we shall see.

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
Hi Betty

I'm from Hong Kong and I don't think I've ever seen anything e-cig related there at all.

But then again, I don't live there at the moment...

Only 2 days in Hong Kong? totally not enough!

Hi Aedilangiro, you are totally correct, not a single electronic smoking device to be found anywhere, and boy have I looked :( I suppose they are just not popular here, cigarettes are still cheap, and there is not such a large smoking ban as in Europe and USA. Still many other nice things to get instead and the weather has been great :) I am always happy to come to Hong Kong its such a great place :thumb:

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
Hi Betty

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I suppose I will do a more extensive search for E-cigs in HK when I go back to visit later this year. But you're right, cigs are cheap at US$4 a pack.

However, I do think it may be possible for a viable market to exist there sometime in the future. The Hong Kong government is actually very responsive to public safety issues. They dealt with SARS and Avian Influenza admirably and passed legislation to outlaw spitting on the streets, throwing cigarette butts; it really changed things for the better.

So, if getting rid of tobacco smoking using E-cigs were marketed correctly in HK, we'd probably have quite a decent response. PLUS, HK people LOVEEEEEEEE new gadgets.

Enjoy your stay!

Morgan

Rorschach

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
New York, NY
I should really look all this up, but if you dont mind me asking...Hong kong has its own government that is seperated from the chinese government?

Hey DC

Yes, the Hong Kong government has its own government, separate from the Chinese government. HK is in the SAR, which is the Special Administrative Region. China will not meddle in the political-economic affairs of the city for 50 years (40 years now, actually).

We're under a Legislative Council and the Chief Executive (Donald Tsang currently) serves as our head honcho.

Of course this is all within reason. If HKers go buck wild and start throwing knives (we don't legally have guns) at China, then the Chinese government would step in.

In all honesty, with the way things are going, when 40 years are up, China won't even bother doing anything to HK as by then, China itself will be leaning in that direction anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread