Status
Not open for further replies.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
I got one of these from Plumbing section at WallyWorld, less than 20$.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ronson-Tech-Torch/17133679

image.jpg

Last edited:

dripdaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
If you have a harbor freight near by I got mine for like $6 from there.

I saw that one in my initial shopping but I wasn't sure if it would be suitable due to the performance I've seen from other HF stuff. Does it perform as it should and seem like it wiil last a while?

dw'struth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2013
London, KY

BrokenLung

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2012
TN
The harbor freight one stands on its own, has an adjustable flame, and has hands free operation aka you don't have to hold down a trigger to keep it going. I have been using mine for about a year now without any troubles. I can't say 100% of their units will work as good as mine has; but you have 3 months to return it if you don't like it. I also did not buy any fancy butane, I just use the ronson stuff (when I was looking for a torch lots of people recommended fancy butane but I needed it right away). Also butane burns more cleanly than propane, not sure if that makes a difference for what we are doing but seems like last time I used a propane torch indoors I remember it being a little smelly. But I would say about any torch posted in here will do the job for ya.

Hope that helped

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I believe that is what most people call "Overkill".

lol

Not really.
With a standard propane torch like this you can sweat copper plumbing fittings, thaw frozen pipes and so on.
Simply turn the flame as low as it will go and still have a sharp blue tip in the flame and your good to go with respect to pre-oxidizing ss mesh or working with micro-coils. Pretty much the same price to get set up as the butane units and so much more durable and versatile (-:

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Not really.
With a standard propane torch like this you can sweat copper plumbing fittings, thaw frozen pipes and so on.
Simply turn the flame as low as it will go and still have a sharp blue tip in the flame and your good to go with respect to pre-oxidizing ss mesh or working with micro-coils. Pretty much the same price to get set up as the butane units and so much more durable and versatile (-:

You can also use it to start your campfire and to make a honey baked ham (melting the sugar over the ham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread