Any thoughts on a good starter kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

millerb

Oct 26, 2010
New Mexico
I would appreciate a reccomendation on an affordable starter kit. I prefer the using a cartomizer due to my inexperience.
I am using a hand-me-down as we speak. I would like to stay under a hundered dollars, cheaper if possibile but I dont want junk either.
I would like something with a good throat hit and lots of vapor!
Thanks in advance for all your help- I seem to be a little overwhelmed w/all the info on the web and here in the forums.
Im sure this wont be my last purchase but id like to have something w/two batteries and a wall charger. I am going to be doing some traveling over the holidays and my friends and family detest analogs- I need to be stocked up soon!

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
Welcome, millerb!

I suggest watching Mistress Nomad's videos Mistress Nomad's Videos for Newbies (Especially Broke Newbies)

These might clear up some of the confusion and give you a better idea of what to expect. You can get a great starter kit, extra supplies and plenty of juice to start out with for well under $100.

mle

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
Colorado
Hey, I'm in the market for a starter also. I'm looking at the Easy (cigeasy) and can't find any bad reviews. It's a kr808-1 (uses cartos). You might want to check it out - seems very reasonably priced and it looks like people are really impressed with shipping speed. It doesn't come with a wall charger but you can purchase one from them (7.95) Hope this helps!
Electronic Cigarettes from Cigeasy - Home of the Easy E-Cigarette

Last edited:

Icoth

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
CA
As woman of heart suggested, watch the vids. If you have time you should also check out the other stickies and the library (linked in the stickies.) If you know or can figure out what you're using now, tell us your impressions. The forum could probably give you a more personalized recomendation.

The quick and dirty answer, buy either a KR-808 or an ego/ego clone and some 510 cartos. In either case buy some extra empty cartos some juice and fill your own. The prefilled tend to be expensive and inferior.

librarising

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2010
New York
How much do you smoke?

If you're a light smoker (1/2 pack-1 pack a day, i highly recommend the kr808d-1. It is a great system that really mimics cigarette smoking. I am just using these on an occasional basis even though I am a heavy smoker but I'm using in conjunction with the ecigs below.

If you are a heavy smoker, Riva, Ego and Vgos have much larger batteries, so you don't have to constantly recharge and swap out batteries.

The 510 is Also For A Light Smoker. I am capping and bolding the letters because for some odd reason, people tend to immediately say 510 when a newbie asks, and for a newbie (like myself at one time), who was a heavy smoker,on that recommendation buys a 510 kit, only to have to buy a Riva/Ego/Vgo 5 days later, after having to change batteries every 2 hours. Do not throw away your money.

Last edited:

GrannyFrets

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
South Texas
Hiya Millerb, like you I'm a newbie to all this. I tried to read and learn so I could make the best choice but all of it made my head spin!! I just wanted something simple so I could get started and learn as I went along. To me at this point, simple was my main goal. That being the case, I chose to go with the kr808d. It's two pieces..the battery and the cartomizer.. screw them together and you're ready to go. I was a heavy smoker and can see where you might be recharging batteries often but mostly I use the usb passthru..love it love it love it!! There is also something called a personal charging case which would be very helpful on trips. I regret that I didn't get that too...but its a learning process and I'll get it eventually.

I got my starter kit on Friday..I've been a smoker for 42 years. A heavy smoker the last few years. I love smoking, I really wasn't wanting to quit and I've tried the pills, the patches, the gum..yadda yadda yadda..you know the routine. Friday, I unpacked my package, plugged the passthru into my computer and haven't looked back. Easy peasy!! I can honestly say I never thought it would be this easy!!

librarising

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2010
New York
Hiya Millerb, like you I'm a newbie to all this. I tried to read and learn so I could make the best choice but all of it made my head spin!! I just wanted something simple so I could get started and learn as I went along. To me at this point, simple was my main goal. That being the case, I chose to go with the kr808d. It's two pieces..the battery and the cartomizer.. screw them together and you're ready to go. I was a heavy smoker and can see where you might be recharging batteries often but mostly I use the usb passthru..love it love it love it!! There is also something called a personal charging case which would be very helpful on trips. I regret that I didn't get that too...but its a learning process and I'll get it eventually.

I got my starter kit on Friday..I've been a smoker for 42 years. A heavy smoker the last few years. I love smoking, I really wasn't wanting to quit and I've tried the pills, the patches, the gum..yadda yadda yadda..you know the routine. Friday, I unpacked my package, plugged the passthru into my computer and haven't looked back. Easy peasy!! I can honestly say I never thought it would be this easy!!

GrannyFrets, congratulations! I smoked 3PAD for 43 years and a 510 pass-through made me stop smoking without even trying. On the third day I lit a cigarette and put it out half way through. I've been smoke-free now for over 2 months and it's so liberating. :)

Matodd

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
West Virginia
My suggestion is probably a little different than others. I'm going to suggest the eGo type device. I started with the Kr808 and quickly moved up. While I like my KR808 I was constantly recharging batteries or chained to my passthrough. The eGo is a little more expensive the than the Kr808 or the 510 most starter kits come with two batteries and I've found that the charge last anywhere from 5-6 hours. With two hours of recharging. You can purchase the 510 cartomizers for them and juice and still be around the $100 you are looking to spend. I got mine from litecigusa.net and I believe it was around 54 bucks. I use the mega cartomizers because I don't like refilling often.(I chain vape! :)) This may not be the best option for you but I wish that I had started with this set up it would have saved me a lot of money. Because it's what I'm happiest with in all aspects. I'm sure others will agree or disagree but ultimately its up to you. Just wanted to give you another newbie opinion to think about.

M

librarising

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2010
New York
My suggestion is probably a little different than others. I'm going to suggest the eGo type device. I started with the Kr808 and quickly moved up. While I like my KR808 I was constantly recharging batteries or chained to my passthrough. The eGo is a little more expensive the than the Kr808 or the 510 most starter kits come with two batteries and I've found that the charge last anywhere from 5-6 hours. With two hours of recharging. You can purchase the 510 cartomizers for them and juice and still be around the $100 you are looking to spend. I got mine from litecigusa.net and I believe it was around 54 bucks. I use the mega cartomizers because I don't like refilling often.(I chain vape! :)) This may not be the best option for you but I wish that I had started with this set up it would have saved me a lot of money. Because it's what I'm happiest with in all aspects. I'm sure others will agree or disagree but ultimately its up to you. Just wanted to give you another newbie opinion to think about.

M

If you go the route of a bigger battery I would go to the Riva 510, which can be purchased for much less than an Ego. Liberty-Flights had them for under $30 and just sold out but will probably get them back in. I have bought a couple of kits and they are wonderful units and the battery has more life than the standard Ego. There are other places that sell them for around $40.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
A nice 2-piece would be a KR808D-1. See my post (#7) at:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...me-find-right-automatic-mini-starter-kit.html

The USB passthroughs are sweet -- I use one in the car and another at work. Make sure that your car cig lighter-to-USB adapter is rated for 2A output, if you get one, and same for an AC-to_USB power supply for in-home use. Walmart has a good $10 AC-to-USB supply, with two USB ports on it.

The 510/Riva/eGo family of PVs are also, obviously, popular. Advantage of a KR808 is its true 3.7V output, which leads to better heating/vapor/throat hit for a given resistance atomizer. Don't sweat it if people knock auto batteries -- I've used both auto and manual, and the autos have done well (maybe it's just that KR808 autos are better/differently built compared to others, beats me).

There are bigger battery 808s, too -- basic 808 is around 250 - 280 mAh, XL is 380 mAh, I've moved up to a Greenworld G400, 900 mAh.

Welcome, and good luck!

Last edited:

+1 on above. I have the Ego and several batteries of the KR808 style and. These guys V4L Vapor4Life-Because it's your life - E-Cigarettes/Smoking Alternatives

are all over the Kr808 and offer my favorite battery for $17 which last me 5 to 6 hours of almost constant vaping. With 2 your good for the entire day. (most folks would not need 2) using there wow carts, not much out there gonna match there vaper.
As far as customer support is concerned, if you even slightly indicate there might be a problem with one of there batteries, they'll tell you a fix and none BOOM YOU MAY END UP WITH 2 QUICK!! Best customer service I've ever seen. They always have a sale going on and just finished a 23% off halloween sale. Tough to beat!! JMO

Have fun and enjoy:laugh:

WaywardMage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
www.linkedin.com
I just thought I'd hop in here with my own recommendation. Cignot has an eGo USB Passthrough starter kit for $50. It's got the standard 650mAh eGo battery that has a USB charge hole in the bottom so you can use it as a passthrough, but also you can detach the cable and you've got a fully functional stand-alone eGo. The kit comes with bits for three different vaping styles: 2 atomizers, 5 cartridges, 2 cartomizers, drip tip, and 5ml of juice. I think's a great way to get introduced to the different vaping methods.

A co-worker of mine just purchased this one yesterday.

It's up on the front page at Cignot, but here's the direct link:
Joye eGo Passthru Kit

Matodd

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
West Virginia
If you go the route of a bigger battery I would go to the Riva 510, which can be purchased for much less than an Ego. Liberty-Flights had them for under $30 and just sold out but will probably get them back in. I have bought a couple of kits and they are wonderful units and the battery has more life than the standard Ego. There are other places that sell them for around $40.

Agreed Riva are less expensive, but I could only speak from the experience of an eGo glad someone also mentioned the Riva I'm sure that it is a good product as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread