Any tips for keeping drip tips crude free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freekshow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
I know that I can not be the only person getting fed up with getting various debris inside of my drip tips and inevitably into my cartos inside my dct.I tend to do all kinds of different projects and always seems to get saw dust,metal shavings,and generally bits of this and that invade spaces i dont want them to be in.I have tried covering the drip tip with a carto condom,however that has just led to further problems ranging from frustation,carto flooding,and having to re-attach ill fitting d.t's.

I have tried making a check valve type drip tip,but that didnt go so well with not having a lathe and specialty type tooling.

ok I'm headed off to the work shop again,any suggestions would be great

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Put a carto condom on it when not using? Maybe some kind of filter material like poly fil. Just don't suck it down your throat and choke on it. I work in a dusty enviornment, plastic dust, and fight the same battle. I keep mine in pocket when not using. I'd rather have a little pocket lint to deal with versus styrene dust getting on my coil. I'm using Ody and Penelopes so I don't have a lot of other options to mod the mouthpiece. Not sure what you tried for a check valve, but those sippy cups for toddlers have check valves in them that might be moddable for what you want.

freekshow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
thank you for the tips,I was able to get my original idea up and running.It is a simple clear plastic drip tip that generally comes with the smok tech dcts,I started off by drilling out the mouth-end of it with a 1/4" drill bit about half of the total length(actually i did the drilling in 3 size steps to avoid breakage) I used a titanium bead from a captive bead ring(body jewelry)I forgot to measure it(oops) but the bead makes a great seal in the bored out throat,on top of that is a 1/4(o.d)"X1/2"L aluminum spacer,I left a gap of about 3/16" between the spacer and bead that still allows a decent draw weight but also keeps crud from getting into my cartos.

I am already planning on making further revisions to the design as I had to glue the spacer in place.I am wanting to use a slightly longer spacer and different cutting to allow a twist lock type feature so that the spacer can be locked down tight against the bead so that there is no rattling from my pocket.So far i am happy with the concept considering I only used items I had on hand.

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Ever since I started vaping I've toyed with the idea of a drip tip that's made out of a soft silicone that when you bite down a little it opens up a slit on the inside to keep dust and whatnot from getting in there. Or a one-way valve that only lets air come out, or a drip tip with a little rubber stopper that is strapped to the bottom of the drip tip when not in use. Surprised nothing like that has ever been put on the market. The one thing I've done to try and augment the not having lint all in ma pv situation is to pull my jean pockets out before I throw em in the wash. It helps but doesnt prevent dust gotten from working :glare:

freekshow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
I have found a new way to keep the crud out of my drip tip.Using the same unit that was drilled out 0.25" at the mouth end,I ended up removing the ball bearing(as it seemed to collect way too much of the vapor) and I added the silicone cap and pip from the inside of a generic stardust type deal (I could not get it to stop leaking) and added that to the top of the spacer that is inserted into the driptip.I will try to track down and get a pic loaded so that sense can be made of my madness

Scottinboca

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Planet Vapton
If I notice crud in my drip tip I use the wash method. I take it off the atty/carto and put it under running water. Then I rinse it off using paper towel. If there is still particles stuck I twirl up a corner of the paper towel and wipe it out. It works for me every time and only takes 1 minute.
:lol:

freekshow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
mainly my issue has been getting stuff down into the carts which the driptips are attached to,as I love using carto-tanks.I've gone as far as using a chunk of paper towel as a plug for the driptip however that didn't last long since the p.t. would just pick up more crud from my hands since washing my hands every time i wanted to vape would keep me standing at a water source for way too much time.
I generally do clean outs of the driptips on a regular basis throughout the day.
I have tried other ways of capping the tips such as slitting a carto condom for a camelbak bite valve type set-up,however it seemed to collect way too much of the vapor causing liquid suck through(ackk).and as stated the check valve set-up had the same issue as well.I am trying to keep the capping as low profile and simple as possible in efforts to not make it seem like a chore.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
A driptip with a smaller hole (not for dripping) would minimize crud getting in there. As for a valve, there is a driptip that is a ball and a socket that bends however one desires that could be modded that it has an open and closed position. Another way to look at it would be something like a cap that you twist to open close, like a Kraft Parmesan cheese can. One last idea, A neodymium disc magnet on a ferretic driptip, stick it to the side of the driptip when in use, pop it on the end to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread