• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Anyone else knit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainkeltoia

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2011
Maine
I'm a knitter kinda... mostly simple stuff at the moment, a little bit of light colorwork, mostly hats, scarves, kerchiefs, that kinda of thing, a couple pairs of wrist warmers...one sock (I couldn't bring myself to make the other one) and bags. Going to start trying to make some holders for my PV -- maybe make a compartmental bag to hold PV and juice (maybe sew in a liner to prevent leaking/spillage). Anyone else knit or have patterns to share? I'm on Ravelry also http://www.ravelry.com/people/RainKeltoia

rainkeltoia

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2011
Maine
I tried crochet first, when I was a kid, but it didn't work out lol I've been knitting for about 4 years now, actually helped me quit smoking the first time -- then I went back to it :mad: for 2 years. But I still knit occasionally, especially in the winter. :blush: I'm working on a scrap blanket at the moment, its pretty large but I still have a ton of 1/4 skeins and hanks of yarn to go through.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
I love sock knitting. You should try the magic loop way, look at knitting pattern central hundreds of free patterns and directions for "magic loop sock knitting". I knit about 6-8 pairs a year using 1 long circular needle it really beats using 5 DP's. DP's are a lot of work they are ok to use but alot of work.

flbutterfly1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2010
Interlachen, Florida
ahhhhh knitpicks they are my fav I haven't ordered for a while though. The magic loop is really easy just cast on 60 all onto one needle, push all stitches onto the circular part split stitches in half by pulling the plastic part until there are 30 sts on each needle. be careful not to twist and begin knitting keep the stitches at the beginning of each needle tight. thats all there is to it and socks are really easy if you use the short rows toes and heel patterns, uses 30 sts and is really easy it knits the heel and turns it all at the same time. then when you get to the toes its the same thing.

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
NY
+1 for jealous. I live about a mile from Schaefer yarns, and keep meaning to drop by to see if I could do a factory tour.

I used to be really into knitting....now I'm good for about a pair of socks a year- if I'm lucky. I knit them toe-up with a figure 8 cast on, short row heels and Magic Loop- mainly in DK weight so I have a prayer of getting them done. I resisted toe-up for a long time- and twisted many a sock before I switched. SO much easier, and faster than top down, and I think the short row heels are a little more comfy.

This is my favorite way to knit a heel- just use half the stitches
The Easiest Way to do a Short Row Heel « If You Want to Destroy My Sweater…

The PV case sounds fun!!! I've been mildly obsessed with buying little change purses lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread