• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

THE Bug out Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well finally got most of the stuff together so here goes.

First, lets break down the type of bags- as I call them.

EDC- Every Day Carry bag. This is a small bag or pouch that has basic items in it. Things like maybe a fire striker, water tabs, emergency blanket, Knife etc. The very basic survival items. Personally, I dont carry one.

Disaster Bag- This is a bag that you have ready to go at a moments notice. Things in this bag are personal IDs, food, water, entertainment items etc. This is a bag you would use if you had to evacuate your home and go to a shelter. Water purification, fire starting and shelter building are not needed in this bag. Things to occupy your time, snack foods, water, important papers etc. This is not really a survival bag.

BOB- Bug Out Bag. My definition of a BOB, is a bag that is well packed with basic survival gear, but for temporary use. Basically a bag that will get you from point A to point B, quickly and safely. Generally its packed for 72 hours use. You should have 3 days of food, 3 days of water, basic shelter, fire making capabilities, good survival knife etc. Its a temp bag to get you to a new location where you have items already stored and ready for use.

SHTF Bag- This is my personal favorite, and the one I pack. This bag is packed wit all the gear you would need to leave your home or permanent shelter location, and go live, day to day. This bag is packed with basically all you can comfortably carry.

Now that the basic definitions are done, lets get to the bag and items.

BAGS AND POUCHES:

I have gone through a couple different style bags, trying to find the perfect bag. For me, I ended up with a Tac-Force Ruck Sack Back Pack. Its large, its adjustable, it is covered in molle webbing allowing total customization.

The basic Tac Force comes with the main pack, 2- zip off side pouches, 1- zip off top pouch, sternum straps and waist belt. between the main pack and zip off side pouches, there is room to mount and carry 2 rifles. Instead of using the supplied molle straps that velcro the guns into place, I added a molle shotgun scabbard, and used the molle system to attach it to the left side. On top of the scabbard, I added a sheath that holds the Katana Machete. The whole thing mounts to the pack, and then the side pouches get zipped on, sandwiching the scabbard.

In addition to the zippers for the side pouches, all pouches have a secondary quick clip system as well. If you had to unzip the pouches, the quick clips would keep the pouches attached to the pack. This is good in case you have a zipper failure in the field.

To balance the pack, on the other side, I used the supplied gun straps to mount my tomahawk and shovel as well as my back up knife.

On the center of the main pack, on the top smaller pouch, I added a molle deployment bag which I use to hold my entire first aid kit. The deployment bag has many pockets to keep the first aid items organized.

On the bottom pouch of the main pack, I added a molle buttpack using the molle web system. The buttpack has one large main pocket, 3 side pockets and 2 zippered top pockets for smaller items.

On the waist belt I have added a molle gadget pouch, a molle canteen cover, and my main fixed blade knife. I also added 2 drop leg holsters, one on each side.

The holsters I picked have the main drop, as well as a secondary drop to keep the holster balanced. On each platform there is a main holster with extra mag pouch, another mag pouch and a small pouch that I use to carry my compass.

To help keep the waist pack up and secure, I have added to adjustable straps that go from the sternum strap to the waist belt. This makes the entire system really solid when completely loaded.

Thats my complete bag and carry system. A bag of this size is not needed, but for me, it works perfectly. I do have a smaller molle back pack that i used at first, and it would make a great BOB, but it was just too small for a SHTF bag.

I also, have some extra room and empty pouches on the pack that I plan on using if I come across any items to scavenge. There is enough room left to carry any food I might come across.

Main Tac Force Back Pack:
001.jpg

Side pouches:
003.jpg

Top pouch:
004.jpg

Extra Molle Pouches:
005.jpg

Drop Leg Holsters:
012.jpg

Front of pack with extra straps and flashlight holders:
007.jpg

WATER:

For water, I have a canteen, 3L water bladder, purification tablets, canteen cup, canteen stove for cooking and to purify water and a lid for the cup.

Water tabs do have a use by date, so make sure for long term use, you have a way to boil water to purify.

water.jpg

FIRE:

For fire, I have a couple fire rods, some bic lighters and I always have my zippo on me. Eventually fuel will run out for the zippo though. For tinder, I have some petrolium jelly soaked cotton balls and some char cloth.

I may or may not add a fire piston. I am pretty good at starting a fire with the fire rods, especially when I have some good tinder. Youtube is loaded with videos showing you how to do it.

Once you get your fire rods, take time to practice with them. They will do you no good if youdont know how to use them when you really need them.

fire.jpg

SHELTER:

The third most important item for survival is shelter.

For basic shelter, I have a military poncho and poncho liner. These can be used to make shelter and keep warm. I also have a 3 part sleeping bag system. The system has 2 sleeping bags that can either be used independently or one inserted into the other for more warmth. The third part is a military Bivy Bag. this is basically a waterproof skin that the sleeping bags go into. Using all 3 pieces you can lay on the ground, even if its wet, and stay warm and dry.

Instead of a tent, I decided to go with a Hennessy hammock. This hammock is both a hammock as well as a tent. I also added 4 rapel rings and 2 carabiners to make set up of the tent less than a minute.

The Hennessy Hammock: YouTube - Hennessy Hammock 101, the definitive guide, all the tips you need to know for setup and use.

Hennessy Hammock Quick set up: YouTube - hennessy hammock ultra fast set up technique, easy, adjustable and great tension!

Sleeping bags, stuff sacks and hammock:
shelter1.jpg

shelter3.jpg

shelter2.jpg

shelter4.jpg

FOOD/PREP:

The food I have packed now is basically for camping. If I was going into a SHTF situation, I would rather have high calorie bars instead of the low cal cereal bars I am currently packing, but you get the idea.

The food packs into 3 different ziplock bags and the Spam and seasonings and stuff are in another ziplock.

6 tuna pouches
3 cans of spam
3 uncle bens rices
6 oatmeal packs
3 trail mix packs
6 cereal bars
9 granola bars
9 coffee bags
3 tea bags
6 instant coffee packs
9 orange drink mixes
6 hot chocolate
24 chicken bouillon cubes
3- dual spice, shakers
creamer
splenda packs

I also have a 7 piece mess kit, but this could easily be dumped at any time as long as I have the canteen stove and cup.

food1.jpg

food2.jpg

food3.jpg

CLOTHING:

For clothes, I probably pack more than most. The shirts I packed are long sleeve and can be cut if need be. I also have a pair of lineman boots that I will be using. Make sure if you get a set of boots, go ahead and get them broke in before packing away to use for buggin out. More than likely, I will have a second pair of boots tied to the pack somewhere.

clothing.jpg

PROTECTION/SELF DEFENSE/TOOLS:

This is the category that I have way too much stuff packed. I have thinned down the items some, but still have:

2 XD45's, 6 magazines, Ruger 10/22 with 6 magazines, pistol bayonets, GI Tanto fixed blade, CRKT fixed blade, CRKT Zillatool, Gerber Gator folding knife, Cold Steel Tomahawk, Cold Steel survival shovel, Gerber EAB Knife, Cold Steel 2 handed Katana Machete, fishing pole, lures, auto hook setter, gun cleaning kit and knife sharpeners. I also have a couple super bright LED flashlights. I also have a compass and binoculars.

016.jpg

FIRST AID:

1" Adhesive Bandage (30)
3/4" Adhesive Bandage (75)
1/4" Adhesive Bandage (50)
Small Adhesive Butterflies (3)
1 1/4" x 1 1/4" Adhesive bandage (1)
2" x 4" Adhesive Bandage (1)
1" Fabric Bandage (10)
3/4" Fabric Bandage (20)
"H" Fabric Bandage (4)
Knuckle Fabric Bandage (4)
5" x 9" Trauma Pad (1)
4" x 4" Sterile Pad (1)
3" x 3" Sterile Pad (2)
2' x 2" Sterile Pad (3)
Sterile Eye Pad (1)
Alcohol Towelettes (16)
BZK Towelettes (15)
Insect Sting Relief (3)
Cold Compress (1)
Single Use Thermometer (1)
Burn Cream (2)
Non Aspirin Tabs (6)
Aspirin Tabs (6)
Ibuprofen (6)
Anti-Biotic Ointment (6)
Wood Finger Splints (2)
Cotton Swabs (10)
Adhesive Tape (2)
Exam Gloves (4)
Emergency Blanket (1)
Scissors (1)
Hemostats (1)
Sterile Roll (1)
Tweezers (1)
Skin Sheild Liquid Bandage (1)
Anti-Biotic Cream + Pain Relief (1)
Tums (3)
Super Glue (2)
Hand Sanitizer (1)
Medicated Blistex (1)
Fabric Strips (3)
Tooth Ache Medicine (2)
40 page Survival booklet (1)
Snake Bite Kit (7)
Alcohol Bottles (2)
Carry Bag (1)

Firstaid.jpg

HYGIENE/MISC:

Hygiene items will run out quickly, but at least for the first little while you will feel human.
hygiene.jpg

Misc items include paracord, duct tape, reading glasses, solar charger, extra batteries, 4 darwins, e-juice, sewing kit, zip ties, zip locks, large black garbage bags, extra driver bits (zillatool uses standard 1/4" hex bits).

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Whats missing from the pack, but on order is a hand crank flashlight, and charger adapters for the solar charger to charge the flash light batteries. I am also considering adding a small book about edible and healing plants.

I will also get a couple pics of the back pack fully packed and ready to go.

I love the kit Mutt - dump the little bandages and get something for major trauma. I have a small 10ml bottle of plain jane quickstop powder and 2 30gram packets of celox and a handful of kerlix gauze for puncture wounds. Also, bad water/bad food = ........ and your killing yourself with no immodium. Befriend a nurse bro, you need some roxynol for pain and phenergan or zofran or compazine for nausea in there also.

Back in the gang days, a couple of the guys used to carry tampons for any bullet wounds. Dont know that anyone ever used them for that, but they carried them. I always said it was a crap excuse and that they were just carrying their ole ladies things and had to come up with a manly answer.

heres some pics of the kit all assembled:

001-1.jpg

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread