Anyone else like 3.7V more than 5V on their Prodigy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I love the 510 and 901 atty at 3.7 volts with 18650 on V1. I love the 801 atty at 5+ volts on the V1. I think they are very comparable in vaping experience.

Advantage goes to 510 at 3.7 volts because the 18650 lasts so long and 510 atty doesn't leak like the 801. I always drip and never use carts BTW.

NekoGurrl

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Muskego, WI
510 is fantastic at 3.7v, 901 great flavor, but KR8/Atomz on the V1 with a 18650 are a dream come true for me. Especially a freshly charged 18650, 4+ volts is so nice and on a 3000mAh battery it seems to stay at that voltage longer.

Just ordered the new mechanical switches for both my V1's (1-3.7/6v, 1-5v) and another for my Protege. With the better current flow they offer, should breath new life into these work horses.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Yeah, If I'm doing 3.7volt its def. with a 510 atty. It really is the only way to go at 3.7volts. At 5volt im prefering the 801. I dont get much flavor with the 510 at 5volts. Its there but very little. So during working hours I usually vape 3.7volt/510atty. Night time mostly 5volt.

-Tim

+1 Billion ... Ok ... Maybe just 1 million ...

Either way ... That is the exact setup I prefer :) 510 @ 3.7v and 801 @ 5v+ :)

rjgarcia

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2009
Little Rock, AR
Any batteries 3.7v for v2 ??

Not yet.. The switch has about 2 Ohms of resistance to bring the voltage down to the 5 volt range. What this means is that if we put a 3.7v battery in with the existing switch, it will also reduce the voltage and the atty won't perform.

I expect there will either be a new switch, or a new round piece, I know very helpful description, that is part of the switch to remove the resistance. Once we get this, if it is made available, we may be able to find an appropriately sized battery. :D

-Robert

rjgarcia

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2009
Little Rock, AR
Thanks for info, I use 808 carts and got the V2, it is to high voltage for me.It just burns them up, Too Hot. I,ll just use my protege.

Thanks again

That is what I am using as well. It seems I am running through two carts a day though, so I am working on cutting my juice. The first day or so I was like 8-o all day.. :D

-Robert

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
I think I must be odd man out in this. I'm using a Prodigy I with the resistor switch, 18650 batteries, and 801 addys. The non-resistor switch, in my opinion, ran too hot and killed attys, at least the way I vape. I want it ready, and I don't want to stop because the barrel gets warm. If that means running it cooler, so be it.

The batteries are 4.2 to 4.4 volts fully charged. Vapor production begins to fall off around 3.7 volts, and then is when I swap the batteries.

This makes for a very cool vape with reduced vapor, but it's still better than an 801 with a standard battery. Another benefit is extended atty life. It's not unusual now for me to get at least a week of one, whereas I was blowing one in two or three days at 5V. Oh, and I'm not blowing through the juice like crazy like I was at 5V.

3.7 also lets the flavors through that get masked (singed?) at 5V.

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
Hello guys. I would like to share my thoughts on the subject: Battery voltage. The atomizer was desgned around the 123 photo camera battery, 3.7 volts. If I was an enginner I will have a bench power supply set at 3.7 volts. I will perform all my tests and adjustments at that voltage, 3.7 volts on atomizer performance and design objectives. An average atomizer heating filament has, on average, 3.0 ohms. It means we need to supply it 3.7 volts at 1.23 amp. Most of the batteries that come with the E cigs may be short on amps, guys. Those battery are being overloaded causing too much voltage drop during a draw. The so called MODs performed much better because they use BIG batteries plus double the voltage at thesame time at the cost of short atomizer life. Get some rechargable 123 batteries, hook them up in parallel for more amps put them in a nice battery case and use a passthrough, etc. RaverJC, I agree with your observations!

fiddler

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
New York City
My current take on PS devices:

Prodigy V1 with 18650 and no resistor - still the champ.

Protege - shorter battery life but otherwise almost as good. My take along vape.

Prodigy V2 - used only occasionally when I want a monster hit. Vape is just too harsh for regular use, even with short drags. Needs more resistance.

Passthrough - I don't use it much, cable is a nuisance.

boomboom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2009
Alberta, Canada
My current take on PS devices:

Prodigy V1 with 18650 and no resistor - still the champ.

Protege - shorter battery life but otherwise almost as good. My take along vape.

Prodigy V2 - used only occasionally when I want a monster hit. Vape is just too harsh for regular use, even with short drags. Needs more resistance.

Passthrough - I don't use it much, cable is a nuisance.

+1, however, the V2 is a contender for champion with an 801 atty

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
Great, now I am even more confused!:(

I currently use a 510 and love the draw. From what I read one of these devices has a dual voltage option which may be good for me since I have never vaped above 3.7. Was waiting on the V2 but may be happier with a dual voltage model. Now I can't remember which device that is.

Does this device also work with the 901 atty? Looking for something to use that atty with since INHO it is absolutely useless on the SD MK2@, I bought a 510 adapter and use that.

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
The PD V1 was the dual voltage model, but is currently out of production. It had a 901 option.

I'm exclusive to the same set-up as Tim and Steve. 510/3.7 day & 801/5V evening. Well I was, but I've lost both my switches in the last few weeks. I'm hobbling by currently on an ancient PS PT and a small stash of 510 batts I bought right before my V1 arrived. Gave away my laser mod a couple months ago since I never used it because I hated the 10440s. I'd forgotten how crappy stock batts are.

Once my V1 is back up and running, I'm digging in to wait for a re-release of the V1 or another PS model that can use 18650s. I'm just not happy with anything else. I may try a box or two of the cartomizers just to try them, but I think the V1 has ruined me for any other model. Are the cartomizers compatible with the V1 adapter?

Last edited:

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
On the V2 if the resistor is visible it should be easy to solder a jumper wire across it. Just a strand or two of copper wire will do it if space is a problem. I plan to do this when my order of a V2 ever gets here. I will do this only if an 18650 battery will fit the V2's battery well, will it? Would anyone who knows the answer please let me know? I'll appreciate it very much.

Last edited:

rfw2003

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Yantis, Texas
www.4x4mayhem.com
On the V2 if the resistor is visible it should be easy to solder a jumper wire across it. Just a strand or two of copper wire will do it if space is a problem. I plan to do this when my order of a V2 ever gets here. I will do this only if an 18650 battery will fit the V2's battery well, will it? Would anyone who knows the answer please let me know? I'll appreciate it very much.

18650 battery will not even come close to fitting in the V2, and also on the V2 there is not a resistor on it, it uses an undisclosed material for the contact disc in the mechanical switch that is a natural resistor that lowers the voltage down to approx 5.15v under load.

R.F.

tattooed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
VA
I'm totally lost on which to buy, the V2 or the Protege. I've never had a high voltage device but the thought of not having to take a 20 second long drag to be satisfied is what intrigues me most. So I guess consistent/big vapor production is what I'm looking for. Battery life would be nice too. I was just about to order a V2 and now I'm wondering if the 510 in the Protege would be better.

Is a 3.7v option in the foreseeable future for the v2? I'd feel more confident in buying it if I knew I might be able to downgrade if I needed. If not, I'll just get the Protege and continue wondering what the fuss is over high voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread