Anyone read this nonsense ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
m. guardiannews .com/commentisfree/2013/apr/03/e-cigarette-smokers-inhaling-unknown

Inhaling the unknown huh ?

I guess since every single analog smoker is fully aware of all 7,000 chemicals and additives they are smoking - it must be safer than smoking the unknown - I wish there was a sarcasm button

Last edited by a moderator:

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
What a bunch of hogwash. Nobody is selling them as medicine. He is a liar. He is an ANTZ. Citing the FDA study from 2009? C'mon man, you are clearly pushing an agenda. How about the health effects of Chantix, you sanctimonious slug. What a hatchet job.

couldn't have said it better myself! :)

JuniorNA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
yep, i have to deal with my "off the boat" italian mother who literally asks me every day when i'm going to stop with the "electronica siggaretta" because "who knows what the chinese put in there"

I go mom, it's nicotine delivery, its the same as the patch except i can control it, the juices are USA made, who cares if the hardware is from china, they do a good job.

Here is what its like.

Her - Hello, you stilla smoking?
me - actually it's not considered smoking, its vaping
her - yea sure, "you don'ta knowa what they put in there (i'm spelling it like she sounds)
me - mom the juice is USA made, all pharmaceutical grade ingredients, and all 100% edible and FDA approved ingredients.
her - well if you so smart, why are you smoking or vaping in da first place
me - good point ma , but that's NOT the point
her - i read so mucha stuffa and they do these study, some people found cyanide and acid
me- that's BS and since my juice is USA made, and trusted by thousands of people, it's the safest it can be
her - so , when you gonna stop vaping ?
me - MA, get out of my house

and then it starts all over :) we say it all tongue and cheek cause we are serial ball busters, but she truly thinks these are going to kill me faster than analogs.

Fear of the unknown (this whole mess of a post, was my point )

O'Face

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Indianapolis, IN USA
Don't know if I am one of the lucky ones, but my ma' has been one of the most supportive influences with my vamping. She never smoked and never cared too, but she lghts up when I ramble on about voltages, devices, watts, ohms, and different juices. I loved reading this thread because it helped to remind me how lucky I truly am:)

Thanks Ma'! You Kick ...!

O'Face

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2013
Indianapolis, IN USA
m. guardiannews .com/commentisfree/2013/apr/03/e-cigarette-smokers-inhaling-unknown

Inhaling the unknown huh ?

I guess since every single analog smoker is fully aware of all 7,000 chemicals and additives they are smoking - it must be safer than smoking the unknown - I wish there was a sarcasm button

Well at least he was honest to his opinions, but it would be nice if the "journalist" was at least informed on the subject he wrote about. If anyone has any questions please refer to CASAA, and they can at the very least, calm the hypocritical storm from this POS article.

zyglrox

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Florida
E-cigarettes are masquerading as medications – so let's subject them to the same scrutiny.
That first clause is a load of hearsay perpetuated by people who get impressions that were not given, but hey, I love me some scrutiny, so lets get down to it for the millionth time.

The US Food and Drug Administration analysed the components of e-cigarette cartridges in 2009. They identified trace levels of tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) – cancer-causing compounds commonly found in traditional cigarettes, albeit at a much lower concentration.
Yes, they did. In fact, the concentration was no greater than that found in the medically-approved nicotine inhaler or amounts found in patches, i.e., within safe levels according to the government and medical community. It's also worth mentioning that it's still orders of magnitude lower than those found in cigarettes - a factor of 1400 times, to be more precise.

Although concerning, this isn't a huge surprise – similar levels are found in nicotine patches.
Why the concern? You mean to say that simply because it is approved as safe for medical use doesn't mean it's safe? And yet we shouldn't use e-cigs until they've been proven safe for medical use? See the quote below, from an earlier excerpt.

E-cigarettes may look legitimate, but they haven't been through the same stringent safety checks as medicated nicotine replacement therapies.

*does double take*

...perhaps you meant to say "Although surprising, this isn't a huge concern."

But the FDA also found diethylene glycol, a component of antifreeze and brake fluids. Classed as a poison by the World Health Organisation, at high enough quantities it can cause kidney damage, nerve dysfunction and respiratory failure.
Isolated incident - narrow study. The issue here is either that the juice manufacturer wasn't using USP grade PG, or it was one case of a bad batch mislabeled as being USP grade when it clearly was not. This is a contaminant found in industrial grade PG, which one would hope is not being used by most juice manufacturers. If this was a common contaminant found in e-cig juice, then how come we haven't seen any clear cases of DG poisoning in e-cig users? Ohhh, that's right, because it hasn't been found in follow-up studies!

In March 2013, researchers from the University of California examined in detail the aerosol contents of e-cigarettes. They found particles of silver, iron, aluminium and silicate, and nanoparticles of tin, chromium and nickel. The researchers noted that concentrations of these elements "were higher than or equal to the corresponding concentrations in conventional cigarette smoke", and that "many of the elements identified in [e-cigarette] aerosol are known to cause respiratory distress and disease".
Why yes, they did... ...in a questionably-narrow study with an excruciatingly minute sample size in which the conditions produced were completely unlike those present during normal e-cig use.

Other papers concentrate on the social effects of introducing a highly addictive drug to a new audience. The Journal of Adolescent Health identified e-cigarette ad campaigns that disproportionately appeal to a younger market, including "celebrity endorsements, trendy/fashionable imagery, and fruit, candy, and alcohol flavors".
...because none of those things appeal to adults? I didn't know adulthood was so bleak! When I see a commercial featuring Ronald Mcdonald puffing away on an e-cig, I will change my tone. But last time I checked, Courtney Love and that Blu guy mostly appealed to the "adults only" crowd. I also seem to remember enjoying a watermelon just last week. I also like keeping up with the joneses, chewing bubble gum, and eating gummy bears. I'm not even gonna touch on the alcohol... ...that doesn't even make sense. All of this is beside the fact that no vendor who wants to stay in business or find a solid standing in any community is willing to risk selling their products to anyone under the age of 18.

Instead of being an opportunity for current smokers to step down to something less harmful, they could be a gateway into smoking for young people who would not otherwise try cigarettes.
Or maybe they'll just use e-cigs instead. Ever think of that?

So much more I'd like to address at length. But I just don't know what kind of damage that might do to my health. Typing up posts in a fit of rage has not been subjected to rigorous scientific testing and I worry about what it might do to my body.

Nothing in this world frightens me more than an ignoramus with a pen and an audience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread