Anyone remember when a "starter kit" was actually for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I'm looking at trying an Aspire Pockex pocket AIO sub ohm unit (it all sounds Greek to me lol) but it's on sale at one of the suppliers I use, and it looks small(ish) which I like. I looked at the bigger Aspire that Toolman mentioned but it seems a bit big for my personal taste. Given it's current low price I might give it a whirl and see how it goes. It also seems foolproof (proof from MOI lol) and possibly not too much fiddling (I have arthritis in my thumbs so fiddling with wrapping coils 'n such is one reason I wasn't keen on those)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm looking at trying an Aspire Pockex pocket AIO sub ohm unit (it all sounds Greek to me lol) but it's on sale at one of the suppliers I use, and it looks small(ish) which I like. I looked at the bigger Aspire that Toolman mentioned but it seems a bit big for my personal taste. Given it's current low price I might give it a whirl and see how it goes. It also seems foolproof (proof from MOI lol) and possibly not too much fiddling (I have arthritis in my thumbs so fiddling with wrapping coils 'n such is one reason I wasn't keen on those)

You do understand that "sub ohm" kinda means direct lung inhaling I hope.
    It's quite different than mouth to lung inhaling like you were probably doing with a 510 atomizer.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2010
    A Brit, abroad, (USA)
    You do understand that "sub ohm" kinda means direct lung inhaling I hope.
    It's quite different than mouth to lung inhaling like you were probably doing with a 510 atomizer.
    Yeah.. no I didn't lol Although I inhale on the 510 the same way I used to smoke (take a big drag and pull it down, is that the same as that one I - and you - mentioned?) I don't hold it in my mouth at all really - never got the hang of that. I could never smoke cigars 'properly' because I just pulled the smoke down and then coughed for about 5 mins.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    We've gotten so involved in our various preferences that we tend to forget when were were among those that want a small cigarette like experience and genuinely need it to make that big first step away from smoking. I think many of our recommendations to newbies scare them off. Most of us here on ECF started off with simple gear and many grew to wanting more as we learned more. We should encourage new vapers to walk before telling them to run so they can gradually get to where they are comfortable as they learn more. Every new vaper we overwhelm with powerful complex setups who returns to smoking is a sad loss IMO.

I wish I could like especially the part above...many many times!

There are several of us, usually the same small group most times, who give suggestions to newbies for starter/beginner vaping kits like WE used when switching to vaping and/or those that others we know have had success with. They usually include anything from the super simple JoyeTech 510 kits or Evod Double Starter kits, to small mods like the Eleaf iStick Mini 10W and maybe Protank Minis or Evods for their tanks...all of which are super easy to use by newbies! Some of the newer kits than those, (ie. TopTank Evod Kit, Innokin iTaste CLK, Kanger Evod Mega Kit, etc.) though still not the newest kits/set-ups, are also easy to use and provide a satisfying vape for newbies and even for many of us who've been vaping several years or more. Those are also frequently recommended to newbies.

However, we're always quickly out numbered by those who usually either flat out put down that type of stuff, or say something like (paraphrasing here) "you need more up-to-date gear, or you'll just have to buy it in the near future anyway," or "you don't want to start with that stuff, get something that you can use for a long time". So instead...they'll recommend things like mods that are 75W or higher, tanks that take some pretty expensive coils or are RBAs, and/or even subohm set-ups..for total newbies!! The terminology used when recommending those is also WAY above what any newbie vaper can understand most of the time. Many don't even know the correct names for the parts OF a set-up yet, so it's all Greek to them!

But, when so many recommend the newer, higher power, more complicated stuff, and even coil building right away...the newbie usually follows those recommendations, instead of those that just several of us offered. I can't count on both hands the number of people locally and online, that I've helped to find a kit better suited to their "newbie" vaping needs. That's after they've either been convinced by vape shop employees to buy some of the above "more up-to-date" and usually more expensive stuff, or have followed some of the recommendations on here, and been either frustrated because it's too complicated, or they're finding themselves coughing like crazy when trying to vape with the set-ups.

I 100% agree with your last sentence, too..."Every new vaper we overwhelm with powerful complex setups who returns to smoking is a sad loss IMO." :(

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I don't hold it in my mouth at all really - never got the hang of that.

I'd bet if you really paid attention to how you inhaled while smoking, and when using your 510 attys...you'd find that you probably DO have it in your mouth for a second. I know when I smoked for 42+ years...I'd take a drag on my cigarette to get the smoke into my mouth, and as I took the cigarette away from my lips...that's when I'd inhale the smoke down to my lungs. For just that second, it was in my mouth before going down. That's the same as MTL (mouth-to-lung) vaping. Also, with vaping...the nicotine in vapor is more readily absorbed by the cells in your mouth and nose, than by your lungs. So keeping the vapor in your mouth for a second or so, (and then inhaling it into your lungs, or not), then exhaling through your nose and/or mouth...helps you absorb more of it. With the nicotine in smoke though...it's the opposite. It's absorbed better by the cells of the lungs.

With subohming you don't do that at all. It's going right down to your lungs as you're taking a hit off your vape.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I think that the simple starter kit reached it's peak with the Ego/Ego twist and simple top fill clearos. Not optimum flavor, not cool, just easy to use and maintain. Unscrew the battery and charge it, unscrew the top cap and fill it.

Ironically, the people still smoking that have resisted vaping up to this point are the ones that need simplicity the most. Late adopters of technology are typically the least interested in the details and will only tolerate a short learning curve. They just want an easy option and will likely abandon setups that require much knowledge or fiddling to use them.

Seeing veteran vapers return to ECF recently and get overwhelmed makes it obvious that simple solutions for smokers are difficult to search out among all the interesting but unnecessary options. When those with quite a bit of experience can't sort out the current stuff, how does a smoker who is late in starting out going to succeed? They are just trying to replace smoking with a safer alternative. Compared to a patch or a pill, it's gotten much more complicated to get an appropriate first setup let alone keep it working well.

We've gotten so involved in our various preferences that we tend to forget when were were among those that want a small cigarette like experience and genuinely need it to make that big first step away from smoking. I think many of our recommendations to newbies scare them off. Most of us here on ECF started off with simple gear and many grew to wanting more as we learned more. We should encourage new vapers to walk before telling them to run so they can gradually get to where they are comfortable as they learn more. Every new vaper we overwhelm with powerful complex setups who returns to smoking is a sad loss IMO.
    [emoji106] [emoji121] [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

beckdg

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    I think that the simple starter kit reached it's peak with the Ego/Ego twist and simple top fill clearos. Not optimum flavor, not cool, just easy to use and maintain. Unscrew the battery and charge it, unscrew the top cap and fill it.

Ironically, the people still smoking that have resisted vaping up to this point are the ones that need simplicity the most. Late adopters of technology are typically the least interested in the details and will only tolerate a short learning curve. They just want an easy option and will likely abandon setups that require much knowledge or fiddling to use them.

Seeing veteran vapers return to ECF recently and get overwhelmed makes it obvious that simple solutions for smokers are difficult to search out among all the interesting but unnecessary options. When those with quite a bit of experience can't sort out the current stuff, how does a smoker who is late in starting out going to succeed? They are just trying to replace smoking with a safer alternative. Compared to a patch or a pill, it's gotten much more complicated to get an appropriate first setup let alone keep it working well.

I liked the MVP lineup for most of the reasons you speak of.

Truth be told most of us just want a cigalike that performs to our needs.

Regardless of the fact my journey started with immediate knowledge these weren't going to work for me long term.

Guns don't kill people, virgins do! -Jim Jeffries

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I think simple setups are a good idea for anyone starting out. It may be an "inferior" vape in some eyes, but a lot of confusion, trouble shooting, and having difficulty can be avoided. With that said, yes, most vapers will eventually move on to something else, but simple avoids so much frustration in the beginning, and smaller cigalikes will provide more of a MTL experience with higher nic, without many "hassles" as it were. They may well be more expensive to run if you buy a tobacco company cigalike, but there are some great, inexpensive pen style devices that are easy to operate (IMO). I had to do a lot of trouble shooting to start, as my son gifted me his setup and it was DL. I had no issues with the *equipment* it was just completely the wrong setup for my style of vaping and state of my health at the time. I was getting nic overload and the coughing fits weren't pretty. I'm so glad I came here to get recommendations. I'd say simple is better, starting out, and it will likely be cheaper if you select the right setup.

I do think once you have some options in mind, showing them to the person you want to help and going over features would be a good idea in helping said smoker narrow things down....

Best of luck!

Anna

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    I contacted Aspire awhile back and suggested they make devices in the style of the iCares and iCare solo BUT that work with the tried and true and plentiful Nautilus coils. We'll see how much weight I carry at the company LOL.

For a super tiny setup using a Nautilus tank:
    $26.26 Authentic Artery Nugget V2 50W 1500mAh VV VW TC APV Mod - 5-50W / 0.5-8V / 200-600'F at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $17.91 Authentic Aspire Nautilus 2 Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer - 2ml / 0.7ohm / aluminium + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Or for really inexpensive Nautilus coil compatible tanks:
    22mm:
    $8.33 Vika Fantasy Styled Tank Clearomizer - 3ml / 1.6ohm / 316 stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $13.22 Kabuki Styled BCC Bottom Coil Clearomizer - 3ml / 1.6ohm(3.3-4.2V) / 316 stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

19mm *(says Cleito, trust me it is Nautilus):
    $5.67 Cleito Mini Styled Tank Clearomizer - 2ml / 1.6ohm / stainless steel + glass / 19mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

17mm:
    $6.19 ASSA Mini BVC Clearomizer - 2.5ml / 1.6ohm (3.3-5V) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    "Beginners" you say? I must be getting old. Back in my day, con men referred to their victims as "marks."

Actually, I take your point. I'm not going to offer advice regarding this or that equipment, you're getting that already, with much of which I agree.

I will observe, however, it is nothing more than the market in action. Given a 200 watt mod can be vaped all the way down to 5 or 10 if you wish, making only the big one saves the manufacturer from building two models, with attendant manufacturing and carriage costs. There are still any number of one-battery mods these days. It's just, given the advances in electronics, they now top out at 60-75W rather than 15; and generally are now (at least marginally) capable of TC.

Why build more than one board? And once you have a good board, why not use it through the whole range of which it is capable?

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I provided EVODs to a couple of people and one person used it some awhile and went back to smoking. Recently he went out to the vape shop and spent over $100 on a new SMOK kit and seems to be using regularly and not smoking. He's in his 50's and poor too. I think he needed at least a bit more than the EVOD (or one working 100%, that's the problem with them) but also is drawn towards fancy and shiny. Whatever it takes, but he may be in for a shock when he realizes exactly how much juice it uses.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    Tomball Texas
    Still kickin'!

Hiya back!
    Okay, so now I have to know.... Just who were you before the name change? Is it a secret identity? Are you Clark Kent? Peter Parker? Are you :w00t: Elvis? Please be Elvis:) Come on and tell. Inquiring minds want to know:D

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 14, 2014
    T for Texas!
    Okay, so now I have to know.... Just who were you before the name change? Is it a secret identity? Are you Clark Kent? Peter Parker? Are you :w00t: Elvis? Please be Elvis:) Come on and tell. Inquiring minds want to know:D

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    His original name is out there for all the world to see as long as one has show signatures turned on. :D

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia

Well done, 440. Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread