Anyone saving any money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I gave up worrying about saving money because vaping has been one of the best choices I've ever made. I'm not just buying for myself, I'm supplying others who would surely go back to smoking if I didn't and I feel I'd rather have them vaping than the other. Every once in a while they throw some $$$ my way so it's all good to me. I love them and want to do it. I do however have to let them know this stuff doesn't grow on trees and show them how to care for things, they've done really well. :) There are others I've helped that, like me, have taken the bull by the horns and want to know it all so I've recommended all my haunts as well as ECF to them. I'll do pretty much what I can to help a smoker who wants to quit unless they absolutely show no real interest after my first attempt. Should they want to try again I'll be there for them. Guess I can't help myself.

I have been saving. Fortunately I found an ADV juice early on as well a a direct price for flavoring. Between that and having mods I'm currently happy with sans any minor purchases all I have to do is purchase replacements in the event of failure. However minor consumables like wick and wire I have enough to last ages. I was smoking 3-4 packs a week before switching and am currently up about 200$ but I also have juice supplies for months of vaping. so other than buying goodies I'm at the point where every week is just more and more dollars saved.

I could however just as easily chase the vape and been at break even or in the red but saving money landed higher on my priority list to me and my wife.

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
I just read thru some of this thread and boy, what a great bunch of responses. After two+ months I'm just about even with what I would have spent on analogs. However, I have 3 great mods, four great clearos and a few bottles of juice. Plus coils. So I am now in the "saving money phase" I hope. After 60+ years of smelling bad I feel I am way ahead of this game.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Saving quite a few now...but I when I first started, I was doing a lot of exploring on what I like and don't like....so I was buying this and that
Gotta be careful on not riding the hype train..cause everything is subjective in e-cig Kingdom...

You are so right about that. If e cigs become a "hobby" you can sure spend big bucks quickly. One of my hobbies is paper crafting, and if you know nothing about it, you wouldn't believe the money you can spend on "paper." Well, if you include buying computerized machines that can cost hundreds of dollars and you use them to cut the paper, lol. And every few months a new "latest and greatest" comes on the market!

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Hubby and I are saving money...now. For the first 2 years it was just maintaining (and straying over kinda often). We smoked the most budget brands we could find. As the price would go up on one brand, we'd shift to the next cheapest. We ended up on Clippers the last few years of smoking. Between us we went through about 3 cartons a week...I smoked about 2 PAD and he smoked around 1 PAD. The cartons cost $15 each..so that was about $45 a week, or $180 a month (rounded off). So we figured so long as our PV supplies didn't run over $180 a month we were doing good. I learned DIY for my juice pretty quick and that helped cut costs a lot. Hubby didn't get bit by the "shiny new toy" thing and is pretty happy with whatever. I got the bug bad and bought a LOT of stuff for over a year. All sorts of interesting things...VV, VV/VW, bottom feeder, assorted juice toppers, and even RBAs. But last October we kind of put the brakes on things and reverted back to eGos and eGo type passthroughs. We both use carto tanks. We both vape only one flavor each. I make mine, he buys his. We started stockpiling cartomizers several months ago...so we have enough to manage pretty well for awhile. Last month for both of us we spent about $70. And that included another new eGo PT for me. So right off that was $110 savings for that month. We have property taxes to worry about this month, and since we don't need cartomizers right now...I'm figuring our expenses for vaping in Feb. should run just about $45. So that's pretty good for two people. I'm stocked up on nic juice and flavors and PG and VG...all we need is another 50ml. for hubby and ..er...a little something for me. So that will make February's savings about $135....

mse12

Verified Member
Apr 4, 2012
US-TN
It's all about the end game with saving money. The first year will probably be hectic buying and trying everything. After you get the kinks worked out and know what you like the savings add quickly. I spent probably $1500 in the first six months of vaping. I've probably spent half of that over the last year and a half. If you smoked a pack a day it would be close to $2000 a year give or take. So after the initial investments it calms down. I make my own juice, I use RBAs, and I only buy something every now and again. It definitely comes out much cheaper in the long run.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I quit cold turkey almost 14 years ago so this is sticky for me. I have spent A LOT of money since we started vaping only a month or so ago. So I am definitely spending more than I did since I started vaping but by my calculations at a paltry $4 a pack I saved $25,000 by quitting smoking so far. So I'm not sure how to look at it - am I spending more money than I did before, or can I still spend almost $25,000 on vaping and still call it even? :)

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I quit cold turkey almost 14 years ago so this is sticky for me. I have spent A LOT of money since we started vaping only a month or so ago. So I am definitely spending more than I did since I started vaping but by my calculations at a paltry $4 a pack I saved $25,000 by quitting smoking so far. So I'm not sure how to look at it - am I spending more money than I did before, or can I still spend almost $25,000 on vaping and still call it even? :)

I haven't included price increases in my savings.
Although if I included medical costs I'd be under by about $25K. But if I figure my insurance has paid out enough to have covered all my adult premiums and the next 3 months will pay for 2 people's premiums for the year I could say quitting smoking has really saved.
I guess it's all in how you want to spin it. :)

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
Once I found the gear that worked for me, yes. I was about on par with what I spent on cigarettes at first. But now I buy juice and only juice. I have enough wire. I have enough cotton for about 10 years. I have saved twice what I have spent. I could go crazy and continue to buy gear but it would only be different gear not necessarily better gear.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
I did not start this to save money. The wife told me she didn't care as long as I was not smoking. I hope she was serious. :p

I am sure I will start saving money sooner or later. I started DYI, I have more gear than I need and more on the way. I am sure there will even be more coming.
I feel healthier and can vape in the house. Win Win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread