Anyone vaporizing tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdad

Verified Member
Jun 19, 2011
Honolulu, HI
I've searched and not much comes up. I bought an Iolite to vaporize tobacco in the hopes that it would help me quit smoking. So far, I've only tried American Spirit rolling tobacco (Organic and Perique) and it tastes disgusting.8-o Needless to say, I'm disappointed and wonder if it's even worth the trouble to order some good pipe tobacco to try. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Also, would vaporizing pipe tobacco even be better than smoking cigs? My thinking is it's not burning so that's a positive but the nature of pipe tobacco (being more fermented?) might mean more TSNAs so perhaps the health benefits of vaporizing might be nearly zero? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
sdad, Tropical Bob reviewed the ploom. Here is the link. He used snuff to refill the pod and a couple of drops of PG. Maybe you could try that and see if it makes for a better vape in the Iolite.

Vaping tobacco has got to be better than burning. In some old thread about snus a bunch of information about TSNA's was dug up and they are in a whole lot of things so who knows if they are responsible for the increase in cancer.

Then there is the polonium theory that says that radioactive polonium in the tobacco (from petroleum based fertilizers) is the reason for the big C in smokers.

Organic tobacco should be safe. I have used some air dried tobacco that is grown locally to try and make e-juice and the truth is that it stinks. The curing of tobacco, which the stuff I have used doesn't go through, changes the smell and flavor but that is also what increases the TSNA's.

Maybe adding some flavoring to the tobacco that you are using might help.

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
I would be interested to hear more on this topic. While I have grown quite fond of e-cigarettes, why did we give up tobacco all together? It seems, if we could just get past smoking it, we'd have what we're after. I suppose with the proper moisture content, you could even get a decent cloud on the exhale...

food for thought, nonetheless.

TezJaguar

Oct 22, 2011
USA
You are right, vaping tobacco is entirely plausible. This guy even vapes it uncured: iolite and home grown tobacco! - YouTube

If tobacco is uncured, it has even less TSNAs than swedish snus. Around the same amount as NRTs, which is less than .025 ppm. Uncured tobacco also contains relatively high amounts of--brace yourself--anticancer compounds called cembranoids, which are mostly lost during fermentation.

Semisynthetic and biotransformation studies of (1... [J Nat Prod. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Bioactive natural, biocatalytic, and semisyntheti... [Planta Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
Biocatalytic and semisynthetic st... [Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
ULM professors see anticancer potential in the most unlikely sources ? tobacco leaves

So, in other words, it might actually push cancer risk in the other direction!

lxor

Sep 14, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I have been vaporizing tobacco for nearly 2 years as often as 15 times a day. I usually use a stationary vaporizer and inflate bags with tobacco vapor. I have tried using the iolite for vaping tobacco with mixed results. The problem with iolite is that you cannot easily vary the strength of the vapor, and you cannot allow the iolite to heat up the tobacco and let the ammonia/tobacco additives to evaporate prior to vaping. Truth be told however I have used the regular American Spirit tobacco and have found it to not have much ammonia or other adulterants.

What I do with my stationary vaporizer (V-Tower Extreme) is to let the bowl sit and heat up 10+ minutes at 185-205 degrees Celsius, after which time I connect the bag and turn the fan on to inflate it.

I experimented with pipe tobacco a little bit, and was able to get a really tasty vapor. The trick here was to use a short mouthpiece coming out of the vaporizer. I cannot remember what temperature I used, however in theory a temperature adjusted vaporizer should give you excellent control over the vapor or smoke coming off the pipe tobacco. Learning to smoke a pipe properly in contrast can take 3 months or more. Inhaling pipe tobacco vapor the lungs might not be a good idea as most if not all pipe tobacco has flavoring additives, I've tried resulting in a lot of coughing.

Keep experimenting. When I first got my vaporizer I was disappointed with the results, now I love it, and its much less addictive than cigarettes as the tar and nicotine don't sit in you lungs like after a cigarette.

Still there is nothing better than realizing that you don't need tobacco, nicotine etc, and that cravings come from continued use of tobacco and nicotine, not its absence.

Last edited:

Xenos

May 9, 2012
East Coast
From what I understand of the mechanics of it, that's pretty much how a hookah works-the coal never actually makes contact with the shisha (it sits on a foil barrier over it), and then the vapor is drawn down through the pipe, filtered in the water, and drawn into your lungs via the hose.

You CAN scorch it, if you smoke too fast (the coal gets very hot-you'll know when it happens, you get a very harsh taste, and usually a nice big COUGH), but on the whole, I have found it to be far more pleasurable than smoking even my own hand-rolled pipe toby cigs.

Hell, my wife does not smoke, nor does she appreciate it-but she loves her some hookah! Might be something to look into-most cities have a local hookah bar, so you can "Try before you buy" as it were.

It's lucky I was-my local establishment is ran by a fella from Lebanon-as luck would have it, I was living in Jordan when I was first introduced to hookah (by a Bedouin fella named Abu Kliah'd), so it was not only a welcome remedy to the homesickness (I miss it over there), but also a nice opportunity to sit down and shoot the... er... well, you get what it is I am trying to say.

Anyway, I would STRONGLY suggest a hookah and some shisha for what you are speaking of-you can get it in various strengths of nicotine, so as to get your proper fix.

WORD OF WARNING-you get A LOT more nicotine in a session of hookah (usually between 45min-1hr) smoking than you do from even chaining 5 Davidoff back to back to back. I find the sensation to be... Quite fun when I have a couple bottles of the local brewpub selection in me as well.

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
google thermovape
Well the heater core only has a 3 month warranty and I don't see that part sold on its own. I think the butane catalyst tech is a bit more robust. Granted the Iolite is as expensive, the ploom is better but going the low tech route I have seen the sneak-a-vape as low as $15. The best part is that it looks like something you could put together on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread