Apexium INR18650 2600mAh (rated 25A continuous)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Apexium INR18650 2600mAh (25A) review @ lygte-info.dk

Apexium%20INR18650%202600mAh%20(Yellow)-Capacity.png

Made this VS VTC5A comparative screenshot:
2h12b4.jpg

Definitively not a bad power cell seems to be. :pop:
Apexium site link: Apexium Battery | Home :: Apexium
I wonder who is the OEM making these.

Cheers :)

Reactions: stols001

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Well said. Thanks for the time you took to test the battery.
Just pointed out an outline about a performance significant product. This is all, but :blush: thanks.

Great performance, could this somehow be a Panasonic made cell? Either this, or some other OEM is getting really good. Unknown cycle life, though.

Reactions: Letitia

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
I know HJK for many years, he was one of the first one to test batteries with protection for flashlights as well as chargers and flashlights. Unlike Mooch, who takes more care about safety and get more into details regarding Voltage drop and temperture, HJK test his batteries and present his results hardly with no comments or recommendations.
For the vapers society Mooch tests are more relevant and meaningful.
Btw...so far I could not see, or identify any ethical and relyability problems in Mooch results. And just for general Information...also the UL and TUEV are getting paid for testing products.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
That battery looks like Molicell.
Molicell's battery cycle life is close to 1000 times.
Not sure, but look from the optic very similar to Molicel.
Regarding Cycle Characteristics - on Molicel website they talk always about 600 Cycles up to 80% from nominal capacity...

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hostility? No. I just pointed out that lygte has a very good reputation as a battery reviewer for years.
    Oh, and unlike others he doesn't get paid for the job btw.;)

Ummm...for the past 3-1/2 years that I have been testing for the community I haven’t been paid to test. But how could it possibly have any relevance even if I did?

My patrons pay my bills for about two weeks a month. I don’t make any money from this as I take off from my day job (which pays twice as much) for that time.

The occasional fee paid by a battery wrapper to move to the front of the testing queue pays for the time off from my day job to do the rush testing.

Even if I made some kind of profit, I don’t do reviews. I do science, creating data. There is nothing subjective that can be used to “hide” poor performers for money.

But I will always urge everyone to find a tester they trust and I am happy you have found one!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Who cares? He's not the only one who provides reliable testresults.
    And lygte is far longer in the business than him;)

Wow, some emotion involved here. What has my testing done to elicit this?

There are several testers, each with different approaches and qualifications. Folks who read the results from one tester getting confronted by someone who reads the results from another tester is a strange thing to see.

If a persons asks if a particular tester has posted something about a cell then your first question was answered before you asked it, wasn’t it? ;)

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Wow, some emotion involved here. What has my testing done to elicit this?

There are several testers, each with different approaches and qualifications. Folks who read the results from one tester getting confronted by someone who reads the results from another tester is a strange thing to see.

If a persons asks if a particular tester has posted something about a cell then your first question was answered before you asked it, wasn’t it? ;)

One of the reasons I switched completly between Mooch and HJK was, because I had the feeling that HJK does not go critical enough with Characteristics that were important to me. When I read Mooch test and I see his testing and published results, and I have the feeling, someone is taking care of me :D
    I think that also those repeat tests are very useful and important, since we have experienced how some Chinese are working.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    @Mooch
    Emotion? Again no. You don't have to justify what you do nor the way you do it.
    I just pointed out that there are others, that do the same job albeit on a hobby basis, that have as good a reputation as you.
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    I've never ever questioned your reputation nor your testing results with a single word.
    Nevertheless HKJ presents reliable facts for years, and to question his results is at least quite odd to me.;)

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    @Mooch
    Emotion? Again no. You don't have to justify what you do nor the way you do it.
    I just pointed out that there are others, that do the same job albeit on a hobby basis, that have as good a reputation as you.
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    I've never ever questioned your reputation nor your testing results with a single word.
    Nevertheless HKJ presents reliable facts for years, and to question his results is at least quite odd to me.;)
    HKJ doesn't present reliable facts. A reliable fact is that HKJ's calculated internal resistance numbers are about equally as reliable as a fantasy, and, to me, that raises a few questions about the reliability of HKJ's testing methodology (if we can assume there is a methodology present in what HKJ does). ;)

• Optimistic

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    … I had the feeling that HJK does not go critical enough with Characteristics that were important to me. When I read Mooch test and I see his testing and published results, and I have the feeling, someone is taking care of me :D
    I think that also those repeat tests are very useful and important, since we have experienced how some Chinese are working.
    If you need to rely on someone else to “take care of you”, sooner or later you may have to swallow some hard, displeasing facts. Be your own master and fully take responsibility for what you believe in is a good advice I can provide you. :)
    HKJ doesn't present reliable facts. A reliable fact is that HKJ's calculated internal resistance numbers are about equally as reliable as a fantasy, and, to me, that raises a few questions about the reliability of HKJ's testing methodology (if we can assume there is a methodology present in what HKJ does). ;)
    HKJ has a very automated methodology for making tests, and sure you may find some faults among his mess. He also dedicates some of his time to publish reviews and answer questions in BLF and CPF forums, which is amazing.
    If you need a reliable way to calculate cell DC internal resistance, do so by inferring it from the very own discharge curves at some given discharge point, preferably early to avoid the influence of heat too much. Use some common sense, too. For example:

2h12b4.jpg

At the 0.25Ah point in the discharge curves, the average 30A discharge curve voltage for the Apexiums is 3.495V, whereas for their 1A curves it is 4.04V. Thus, Apex2600DCIR = dV / dI = |(4.04V - 3.495V)| / |(1 - 30)| = 0.545 / 29 = ≈18.79mΩ.
    For the SonyVTC5ADCIR = |(4.045V - 3.485V)| / |(1 - 30)| = 0.56 / 29 = ≈19.31mΩ.
    This provides a quite close effective figure within some error margin, of course.
    elboinas.gif

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    If you need to rely on someone else to “take care of you”, sooner or later you may have to swallow some hard, displeasing facts. Be your own master and fully take responsibility for what you believe in is a good advice I can provide you. :)

HKJ has a very automated methodology for making tests, and sure you may find some faults among his mess. He also dedicates some of his time to publish reviews and answer questions in BLF and CPF forums, which is amazing.
    If you need a reliable way to calculate cell DC internal resistance, do so by inferring it from the very own discharge curves at some given discharge point, preferably early to avoid the influence of heat too much. Use some common sense, too. For example:

2h12b4.jpg

At the 0.25Ah point in the discharge curves, the average 30A discharge curve voltage for the Apexiums is 3.495V, whereas for their 1A curves it is 4.04V. Thus, Apex2600DCIR = dV / dI = |(4.04V - 3.495V)| / |(1 - 30)| = 0.545 / 29 = ≈18.79mΩ.
    For the SonyVTC5ADCIR = |(4.045V - 3.485V)| / |(1 - 30)| = 0.56 / 29 = ≈19.31mΩ.
    This provides a quite close effective figure within some error margin, of course.
    elboinas.gif

I come from the IT part of the universe so, to me, "automated methodology" translates to "automated mess-o-dology". :D

The way to calculate the DCIR that you suggest isn't a reliable way at all. That's just because you can clearly see at the 250mAh mark in the 30A curve the effect of getting additional voltage due to the Apexiums' heating up has already gotten close to maximum effect. But I was referring to the fact HKJ lists the calculated DCIR as being 0.04 Ohms. You know as well as I do that this can't be right so my point was this proves you have to take the "reliable" part of HKJ's data with a grain of salt (or two or three or four or five). The same applies to knowing how to correctly use thermal imaging. I almost bursted into flames laughing over how hot HKJ thinks part of my Nitecore NEW i4 battery charger runs. :D Some folks can't see the difference between someone who does stuff for a hobby who lacks key basic understandings and a genuine professional expert who has all the serious technical background we could ever hope for plus some. And then there's these folks who come to online places bragging in this way about something or someone to infer certain things about stuff they typically haven't even the slightest clue about (not pointing at you). I have seen it all happen before, and I have seen it happen a million times over. That said, I remember Mooch wrote in an old discussion thread here on ECF or on reddit (I can't remember which), the VTC5A has a DCIR of about 18 mOhms. Going by how the initial sag looks like, the DCIR of the Apexium is probably more than a tad higher.

• Optimistic
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread