APV durability/destruction testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
I want to see this. You want to see this. Everyone would love to see this. I, however, will not buy a bunch of mods for the purpose of breaking them. But I think something like this would be valuable and entertaining. It goes like this...

There is a series of standard tests that the mod will go through, starting with something as gentle as a tip over on a desk and escalating to 8ft drops onto cement, and possibly more intense than that. After each test, the unit will be checked for damage to it's form, fit and function. Notes are taken and if the device still works, it moves on to the next test.
The mods that make it through all tests are given an award of durability. This is valuable and will inform potential buyers which mod may suit them and their environment. For instance, a construction worker may not want a mod that failed at an early stage of the testing since dropping the mod off a roof is a real possibility, and at the same time it would be HIGHLY entertaining.
Mods that pass all tests can be pushed until failure if so desired, for science of course.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Nice idea, but unfortunately I think this thread is more likely to be filled with personal stories rather than empirical tests. I have no doubt that a Reo would survive just about any of these tests, and the Provari would sure do reasonably well too. Provari's are also waterproof, even though I would never have the guts to test a 250 dollar device in water

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
Nice idea, but unfortunately I think this thread is more likely to be filled with personal stories rather than empirical tests. I have no doubt that a Reo would survive just about any of these tests, and the Provari would sure do reasonably well too. Provari's are also waterproof, even though I would never have the guts to test a 250 dollar device in water

Water will get in past the button I would think. Right? A youtube channel could be made for the testing, or if the community was willing to do its own testing, we could share a list of standard tests and post the results here, but we both know that won't happen.

Moonbogg

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Whittier, CA, USA
Nope, the whole p3 board is sealed in Silicon. Even if I had the battery cap off and dunked it, it would be fine according to several stories I've heard here

I don't intend to be argumentative, but have you removed the battery cap and looked inside? You can see the circuit board. Its at least partially exposed. I don't know if the important parts are sealed or not, I'll have to look into that. I think a water test should be included.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
Right, what I mean is, is that provape actually paints silicon over the board so the physical board is sealed even though it's exposed. Personally I wouldn't trust it, but I've heard of several occasions where a 2.5 was dropped in a puddle and still kept vaping after that.

It's not being argumentative, it's being inquisitive. That's how knowledge is acquired and therefore shared

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Being old and clumsy (mostly drunk), all my devices have been a torture tested quite frequently. From experience, it should be noted if the atty should be included in the test. I think not as this is where my items seem to fail most.

In the past, one of two Sigelei V5"s and two copper mods have failed due to what is only normal drunken stupor use. The electrics in the Sig quit after a fall from the bar and both copper mods suffered 510 failure while using a Taifun when they landed from falls and the GT hit the ground sort of near the top. Copper 510's are no match for the stainless threads of a heavy atty. Taifun survived!

After several falls since October, the wrinkle finish of my Reo Grand has suffered only minor damage, and then, only to a corner. No more shirt pocket carry.

If you would like your mod torture tested by a true Derelict, send it to me as long as I can use a dripper on it.. I can guarantee it will be abused but do not expect it to be returned in useful condition, unless it is a Reo.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I can give you this much.

IPV mini 2x - Knocked over on table at least a dozen times each, often in tandem. Thanks puppies!
No noticeable damage and no change in function.

One of the IPV mini's - Drop from Cab height- top(ford ranger) onto Asphalt. Minor pick marks, no scratching, no mechanical damage. Orchid was upset and popped its tip.(found and reattached)

The IPV mini seems to be made of a decent heavy alloy with all internal parts mechanically supported.(NO hot glue dependency)

I think I will be more concerned with my Cloupor mini when it arrives. I also passed on the iStick brigade for now as it has a ways to go in proving durability and true performance.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I just got my dovpo e-lvt last night and I can see why people say it's so durable and tough for an APV. This one is actually designed to be rugged. The first one that I know of that had that in mind. People have run it over with all kinds of cars and trucks, and one person even put it on their quadcopter and dropped it from 164 feet. After having it in my hands, though without testing it myself, I can see why it would survive those. And up to 30W on .3+ ohm devices. Yeah, it's a beast.

For anybody curious about just some of the tests people have done :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOXzJ-Hc9ow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVi_vfe1OHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKG8yXWtX58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread