Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I finally got a nice, dual coil going on my Aqua clone. With those little thumbscrews, I thought it would be impossible for me to do, but I got it done and I have it running at .8 ohms right now. Both coils light up at the same time, and both glow evenly from the middle outward. Everything fit under the bell just fine. I can get a few nice vapes from it, but something is still definitely wrong. First, it travels very badly. Leaks no matter what position I have it. If I leave it for long enough, something starts leaking. I figure I'll need to change out a few o-rings, so hopefully that'll resolve.

Next is the wicking. I must be wicking it wrong, but I've seen pics online and it appears that I'm doing it right. I screw down the bell, and trim the ends that stick out. Sometimes, the tank gurgles. Sometimes it gives dry hits. Doesn't seem to matter what I set the air control or the juice control to. It's frustrating me to no end! I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet, as when it works, it works fabulously well. I don't know what to do about it though.

I wrapped my coils around a 1/16mm drill bit. Microcoils, with the coils all touching. Really, they're the best looking coils I've wrapped in a while, and I managed to get them mounted without completely messing them up. I wicked with Muji cotton pads. Just enough for some resistance, but not as much to make it difficult to pull through. Kind of like I would with the Kayfun. Is this where I messed up? Should there be more, or less? I can't tell, as I'm getting both gurgling and dry hits, depending on its "mood".

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Larger coils work better for the Aqua because of the large size of the wick channels. 5/64" is a good match. Wet the tails and place them in the channels before installing the chimney. They should fill the channels (without over stuffing) and shouldn't extend past the bottom of the vertical channel, just short of it.

The Aqua is prone to flooding when top filling. It can be bottom filled to eliminate flooding with some practice. In short you flip it upside down, unscrew the tank and chimney section together leaving the chimney sealed in the top cap, then fill around the chimney and reassemble.

If it's flooded, flip it upside down, and take a few strong drags on it while firing your mod to clear the air passages. Fair warning: You might get some liquid in your mouth.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
So, I shouldn't be trimming the wicks after installing the chimney. I should be trimming them to only fit in the vertical parts. I do top fill for now, as put a juice I liked in it, and was afraid of loosing too much of it as I was getting the hang of the Aqua. I'll try a less loved juice next time and give bottom filling a whirl. Going to replace all the o-rings tonight in the hopes of it not leaking while traveling. This is important to me, as I've got 2 hour commutes. Is leaking typically an issue, even with good o-rings? Just want to know if I should be leaving this tank for home use only.

As for the larger diameter coils, I've had an EXTREMELY hard time with the larger diameter coils. Couldn't seem to get them mounted without mangling them. Guess I'll give it another whirl...

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'd have a close look at the seals before tossing them. There's only 2 to deal with, and if it's new, I doubt they've failed. I've run some hot builds in mine still using the seals that came installed on it with no leaks.

Part of the reason to use larger diameter coils, is that they will have larger diameter wicks, therefore filling the wick channels more adequately. If the seals are good, then the leaking must be coming up through the wicks and flooding the chamber. The channels should be full be cotton. But again, stuff the channels before installing the chimney keeping the wicks just short of the length of the channel.

When it's adequately wicked, leaking is a non-issue, especially once you've mastered the bottom fill. :)

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
Yeah, I almost CANT make my Aqua leak. It's fantastic. My coils range from 1.6mm to 2mm. When you wick the coils, and the wick is sticking out, cut them even with the outside edge of the Aqua. You length will be good then. Dont need to trim the wick at an angle or anything, that's the Fogger, with smaller channels.

Additionally, I top fill everytime and its a breeze. Yes, you "could" get an extra half ml in there bottom filling, but its much more troublesome, so its not worth it for me.
The important thing with top filling is just to do it right. You dont need to close the airflow or plug the air holes. Just fill till its over the evap chamber. Start threading the cap in place, turn upside down and give it about 10-15 seconds for the air to come out. Finish screwing the cap on (while upside down), and you're good to go.
If its still leaking at that point, you have an oring problem.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I just talked to a friend who works at the corner store, and he just got an Aqua, which he's pretty unhappy with because of the leaking issue. I looked inside and he's got it set up with dual micro-coils and his juice is leaking all over the place. He's kind of a newb at vaping, so I invited him to bring it over and see if we can work out his issues with it. He's been buying juice from me for a while now and he's a good kid so I'll try and help him out, but I'm a genny girl, and I'm certainly going to show him that. It might not be his thing, but I'll show him and let him try it. He might even like that dripper I tossed in the cigar box months ago.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I finally got a nice, dual coil going on my Aqua clone. With those little thumbscrews, I thought it would be impossible for me to do, but I got it done and I have it running at .8 ohms right now. Both coils light up at the same time, and both glow evenly from the middle outward. Everything fit under the bell just fine. I can get a few nice vapes from it, but something is still definitely wrong. First, it travels very badly. Leaks no matter what position I have it. If I leave it for long enough, something starts leaking. I figure I'll need to change out a few o-rings, so hopefully that'll resolve.

Next is the wicking. I must be wicking it wrong, but I've seen pics online and it appears that I'm doing it right. I screw down the bell, and trim the ends that stick out. Sometimes, the tank gurgles. Sometimes it gives dry hits. Doesn't seem to matter what I set the air control or the juice control to. It's frustrating me to no end! I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet, as when it works, it works fabulously well. I don't know what to do about it though.

I wrapped my coils around a 1/16mm drill bit. Microcoils, with the coils all touching. Really, they're the best looking coils I've wrapped in a while, and I managed to get them mounted without completely messing them up. I wicked with Muji cotton pads. Just enough for some resistance, but not as much to make it difficult to pull through. Kind of like I would with the Kayfun. Is this where I messed up? Should there be more, or less? I can't tell, as I'm getting both gurgling and dry hits, depending on its "mood".

so you seen a video on the aqua that showed installing the chimney first, then trimming wicks? I never seen or heard of that method. as previously mentioned, don't do that. the aqua is a great atty, at least my authentics are and never leak at all. I have a few aqua videos on utube so if your interested just search for vapdivrr and you will see them. good luck

IMO, the bottom fill is the best method for the Aqua. You don't waste any juice and it won't leak or flood. Also, you can fill it up to the maximum capacity of the tank every time. It takes a little bit of practice, but once you learn how to do it properly it's actually pretty easy. If you do the top fill, you have to be careful not to put too much juice, because then the action of screwing down the top will force juice into the chamber and flood it. With the bottom fill, there's no chance of this happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiR-tckIXvM

I also highly recommend getting the PMMA transparent tank from FT. It's dirt cheap and will make your life a lot easier. If you do order this from Fasttech, make sure you get the extra packaging shipment option because otherwise there's a good chance it will arrive in pieces.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1651000

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread