Are both of my batteries already dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSHARQ

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2011
US
I've owned my e-cig for about a month now. I vape a few times per day, taking about 5-8 puffs on average each time.

I have 2 batteries and yesterday the one I was using died, so I just figured the charge was gone and I plugged it in to recharge for 2 hours last night. I also charged my second battery for 2 hours last night.

Today, I just tried to vape for the first time since charging them and they are both dead again.

Do my batteries need to be replaced already? I really thought 2 batteries would last longer than a month. If I need to replace my batteries this often, I may have go back to analogs because I can't afford this.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
What model? And are they manual or auto batteries? And if you are using a non-original atomizer or cartomizer on them, what ohms is the atty or carto?

And something to check if you have a slim ecig - get a magnifying glass and check the mA output of the charger cable (should be on a label on the part the battery screws into). It should say something between 150-250mA. If it says something more like 420mA then your vendor or his mailroom person is a jerk (I have had 2 vendors sell me Ego cables instead of 510 cables, and one was INSIDE their 510 kit). Those destroyed the charge-holding ability of FIVE 510 batteries before I found both culprit cables.

Similarly, using atomizers or cartomizers that are low resistance on slim batteries can damage the batteries.

If you have auto batteries - have you ever spilled liquid on the end of the battery? That can gunk up the drag switch and make it turn off slowly causing charge to be wasted, or at worst kill the battery with a short.

When you charge your batteries, do you charge them on a stable power sufficient supply? Do you wipe the end of the battery before putting it into the charger (if not, your battery thread or charger may have a thin film of dried juice causing bad charging, or worse, wet juice causing shorts)?

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Yes that's auto. Slim? If so then that is probably their name for a Joye 510-T, possibly a clone. Did you check the charger output numbers (for the part the battery screws into)? (and I looked at their site - that is a 510-T)

And basically anything else I listed above.

See if you can get them to replace your batteries.

Otherwise - you should be able to use any Joye 510 batteries and I recommend MANUAL. The manuals are totally sealed metal on the threaded end. You would need to get a new charger cable. The "T" (tank) chargers can damage normal 510 batteries so I would not take a chance with your current charger on normal Joye 510 batteries or any batteries from elsewhere. If you can stand the longer length, the Joye 510 mega xl manual batteries are great (60-70% more charge and about 128mm long ecig) but they need a different PCC.

But first see if that place will replace your batteries.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Or both have gotten wet with juice or the charger cable is faulty or incorrect cable. (which is why you should check the mA or A output of the screw-in part of the cable. There should be a label or printing on it.) And as suggested above - try another atomizer on them. Maybe your atomizer is now dead or faulty (and yes that can happen in a month).

Re atomizers - I now use cartomizers for 95% of my vaping. Boge 3 ohm cartos are very nice on 510 (slim ecigs can't use the hotter 2 ohm ones). Cartos hold more than 510-T tanks, they keep your flavors totally separate, and no atomizers to clean. I only use attys to test juices and to vape a few that are thicker than I will put in cartomizers. I can get 7-10 days use out of a cartomizer. They are a continuing expense but at under $3 each I think they are worth it for all-day juices.

Re my own loss of charge issue -
Two of my four 510 cables were incorrect (from 2 different vendors) and they damaged the charge holding capability of all three 510 batteries I charged in that room. I always charged my 510 mega xl in another room and that battery was fine. These were all sealed manual batteries and never used with anything too low resistance. I checked my charging cables and found one incorrect cable with too-high 420mA (aka .42A) output (was actually an Ego cable sold to me as a 510 cable, and I stopped checking after finding that one). I replaced 2 batteries and got a new cable which I checked. Then THOSE two batteries got damaged. I checked the remaining logo-decorated charging cable that came with my original rebranded 510 (probably clone) 510 kit (the cable I never suspected) and IT ALSO was an incorrect cable (420mA output - an Ego cable). 2 more replacement batteries and another cable later, and finally everything is right.

Last edited:

DummyMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
North Carolina
Dormouse, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question in the same vain as your answer! I have eGo 650ma batteries. The charger is a correct 420ma one. I have 2 900ma eGo batteries that came with a 500ma charger. I don't think using the 500ma on 650ma battery or the 420ma on the 900ma battery would matter. The 420ma would charge the 900ma battery slower & I doubt that the 500ma would kill the 650ma. Do you agree? The 500 ma is about 11 % higher than the 420 ma.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
And ego charger is an ego charger...doesnt matter if it is a ego-T or not. And the standard 510 chargers give a much better charge then the ego chargers do. (though it takes FOREVER, sometimes overnight)
Just no using 510 T chargers for standard 510 bats. But 510 T can charge on standard 510 chargers. And wierd as it is, you can also charge a 510T on an ego charger...but it charges in like 20 minutes.
But the chances of 2 510-T bats BOTH being bad, or dieing at same time is near impossible...I'd be using a different atty to check. If led is lighting up when you draw, its a bad atty. But if the charger is bad, then the led wouldnt stay on during charging.

I dont expect new ppl to understand a word of that...:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread