Not open for further replies.

Augmented Dog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Didn't work for me, either.

Bottom line of the article seems to be that coil casings should be made of a more heat resistant material to reduce, or eliminate metals from the casings being vaporized and inhaled.
Beyond that, once again, the studies seem to have been initiated by avid smoking cessation proponents.

Last edited:

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    From the Linked Article...

The recent study found that the concentration of carcinogenic compounds in vapor from e-cigarettes is ten times lower than that of a traditional cigarette. They also found that some metals such as lead were of a lower concentration.

However, other metals can be found in higher concentrations in the wispy haze released by e-cigarettes. The concentration of nickel in e-vapor was nearly four times higher than cigarette smoke, with an emission rate of 130.5 nanograms per hour. Increased exposure to nickel has been shown to induce gastrointestinal distress and respiratory diseases among other ailments.

Two other metals were found to be unique to e-cigarette vapor — chromium at 28.1 nanograms per hour and titanium at 50.16 nanograms per hour. Both were absent from cigarette smoke entirely and come with their own set of health concerns including bronchitis and pneumonia.

The higher concentration of nickel, chromium and titanium in e-cigarette vapor comes from the heat applied to the metal casings of the cartridges used in the device, said Saffari.

“Vapor is less harmful, but the small amounts of metals that we found [are] still a concern. It’s not healthy for e-cigarettes to be left unregulated.”

One thing e-cigarette manufactures could do to address Saffari’s results would be to change the materials they use in their casings, though he anticipates that more heat resistant materials would be an additional expense.

I am Somewhat Confused by what the Study Author refers to as the "Casings". But I am Assuming he means the Atomizer Coil.

Unfortunately, I can Not View the Original Study. If someone can post a Link to the Original Study it would be Greatly Appreciated.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    This is a lot of work to fix the OP'S link - I'm a nice guy. :D.

Fixed now, yes it's working NOW!.
    No need to copy and paste, just click on.

science20.
    com/inside_science/are_ecigarettes_less_harmful_yes_and_no-144437]Are E-Cigarettes Less Harmful? Yes And No

Last edited by a moderator:

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Could be some truth to this, since vaping I've become my very own wind factory.
    "Increased exposure to nickel has been shown to induce gastrointestinal distress"

Though its looks as they only looked at, over the counter throw away e-cigs and focus in on the coil wire.

They used wrong wording because they don't know what there doing or saying it's all to new to them, what in the world is a casing though it sound if it's about the wire being thin and heat that less heat would address the issue, there goes 500 watt vaping stick. :D

"One thing e-cigarette manufactures could do to address Saffari’s results would be to change the materials they use in their casings, though he anticipates that more heat resistant materials would be an additional expense"

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Edit in. I miss you.

Off to grandma's house I go, stop by once in a while, say hello.
    You bring some sanity to the table, the circle just gets bigger and bigger.

Thanks MM. It's Nice to be Missed.

I just Burned Out on "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned". He is in EVERY Thread. And doesn't want to Discuss things. Just Slam and Smear those who do Not think the way he does.

I had to take a Break from Him and His Ways.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Thanks MM. It's Nice to be Missed.

I just Burned Out on "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned". He is in EVERY Thread. And doesn't want to Discuss things. Just Slam and Smear those who do Not think the way he does.

I had to take a Break from Him and His Ways.
    Yes Yes Yes "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned" has given me a few like's WOW, I fell off my chair.

I'm very thick headed and persist relentlessly for I shall overcome, and to my surprise I've seen a small change in the "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned" relentlessly persist towards me has slowed down and "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned" swears I am one of many MM men. :D "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned" is not so sure of himself these days. My meds must have final kicked in after two years, I'm seeing results.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I would assume the "Casings" to be the metal Cartomizer assemblies of the cig-a-like type ecigs.

I do remember now when I used carto's that chain vaping did make the case very warm at times, could be the why answer.

My tanks do produce heat and it is a thought, stay away from certain metal and plastics, I think.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yes Yes Yes "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned" has given me a few like's WOW, I fell off my chair.

I'm very thick headed and persist relentlessly for I shall overcome, and to my surprise I've seen a small change in the "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned" relentlessly persist towards me has slowed down and "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned" swears I am one of many MM men. :D "The One who Shall Not be Mentioned" is not so sure of himself these days. My meds must have final kicked in after two years, I'm seeing results.

Either Your Meds. Or Maybe His!

:lol:

00gt1

VapeMeister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So it seems this article is a positive review assuming casings are updated. I agree with the article in the sense that there should be clear disclosure and standards on making juice and what build materials can be used in the cartos. That just seems like common sense. I wouldn't trust some kid mixing juice up and repacking old cartos as new. Who knows the quality control he used. Some sort of standard (not necessarily regulation) needs to be established for safety reasons.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I would assume the "Casings" to be the metal Cartomizer assemblies of the cig-a-like type ecigs.

It's Hard to Say. And that is why I would like to Read the Actual Study. The Metals that the Study said were detected in the Vapor can all be Found in Most Atomizer Coils.

But without knowing how the Vapor was Created in the Study, Volts/Resistance used and Watts Created, it is Difficult to Speculate on how Relevant the Study is.

The Stainless Body of a Cartomizer is Extremely Chemically Stable. I wonder in the Author is Confusing the Source of the Nickel and Chromium as coming from the Stainless Steel Carto Body with it Actually coming from the NiChrome or Kanthal Atomizer coil?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread