Are ecigs an attempt of "civilising" smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Thought-provoking article

«Abstract: This paper explores the ascendancy of electronic cigarettes as part of a wider set of processes
involving the “civilising” of tobacco use. I centrally argue that the growing popularity of e-cigarettes can
only properly be understood when placed in the context of a broader set of historical developments that
have centrally involved the “sanitisation” of smoking. In relation to this undertaking, I explore the curious
convergence between devices which are intended to stop smoking (nicotine replacement therapies) and
technologies designed to keep smoking (electronic nicotine delivery systems). I argue that regulatory and
classificatory distinctions between nicotine “therapies” and “drugs” have increasingly come to collapse,
highlighting the importance of exploring the social and psychological uses of tobacco in understanding,
and informing, policy debates about tobacco regulation. The paper centrally draws upon the work of Norbert Elias and his concept of “civilising processes”. Where many analyses of changing patterns of drug use, consumption and regulation adopt the lens of medicalisation, this paper explores the utility of Elias’s key concepts in explaining long-term transitions and developments in the practice.»

http://www.cambio.unifi.it/upload/sub/Numero 7/17_J_Hughes.pdf

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thought-provoking article

... but that's about it :- ) "Civilising" is too close to "socializing/collectivizing" where 'civil' has it's root in the private individual citizen (not the military or gov't). But it's THR-Phillips-type psychologizing and some fair "provoking" points.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The premise that some social trend is more influencial than my own self interest won't go very far with me.

A year ago I see a cowerker with a vape pen. He says it got him off smokes. I wanted to quit. I asked him to get me the same. The day I start I go from 25 to 5 cigs a day. Six weeks later my dependance on cigs ends. A year later I feel better, have more energy, saved a lot of money, etc. and it wasn't that hard.

May be with the younger crowd things are different.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I actually wasn't looking to quit, just to smoke where I couldn't. I moved to NE Ohio and was tired of going outside in the cold to smoke; then BLU came out. Then I got really nice custom leather seat covers for my daily driver and didn't want to ruin them. Vaping took over smoking when I got a Halo Triton kit, so I inadvertently quit...

Reactions: nicnik

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
"Civilizing tobacco use" is far from the truth.

No longer are we smoking. No longer are we using tobacco.

Yes nicotine is a derivative from tobacco, but it also found present in our everyday foods such as pototoes.

Not going to argue vaping has attracted attention to youth, but that is where parenting comes in.

I'm getting tired of this nanny state thinking, people need to stop being lazy and step up to be actual parents instead of expecting everyone else to the job for them

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
We have the nanny state because corrective action by others is a criminal offense. In Prague, If a hooligan touches Nikola while she's dancing, he's going down after a warning. No one gets arrested. Hooligan's face and feelings are hurt. If a hooligan is blowing clouds at little old ladies at the cereal Island at the Walmart and I ask him to stop and he doesn't, my corrective action- which would be to remove him from the Island, would be considered assault and I'd be arrested. The hooligan knows this so will continue to blow clouds at little old ladies. Should a law be passed banning indoor vaping and said hooligan knows this, he may think twice about his actions, as he probably doesn't want to be arrested again...

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
We have the nanny state because corrective action by others is a criminal offense. In Prague, If a hooligan touches Nikola while she's dancing, he's going down after a warning. No one gets arrested. Hooligan's face and feelings are hurt. If a hooligan is blowing clouds at little old ladies at the cereal Island at the Walmart and I ask him to stop and he doesn't, my corrective action- which would be to remove him from the Island, would be considered assault and I'd be arrested. The hooligan knows this so will continue to blow clouds at little old ladies. Should a law be passed banning indoor vaping and said hooligan knows this, he may think twice about his actions, as he probably doesn't want to be arrested again...

Again... and this hooligan acts this way because? His parents didn't teach him/her morals and/or how to be respectful. Grew up to be a little sh*t and now we have to pay for that laziness.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Again... and this hooligan acts this way because? His parents didn't teach him/her morals and/or how to be respectful. Grew up to be a little sh*t and now we have to pay for that laziness.

Hooligans don't have parents, just donors...
There was no law against tagging in Prague, which was a big problem. The police carry billy clubs. They started to use them. The tagging mostly went away when little Johnny, who was a tagger, explained to his friends why his hand is in a cast...

Last edited:

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
Hooligans don't have parents, just donors...

Which goes to show down the line, their donor skipped on their responsibility, and where does that thinking come from? Those donors parents who also skipped out on their responsibilities.

Just a long line of parents not being actual parents to the child. Again...

Why not correct the problem at the source, rather than "bandaid" it....

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Which goes to show down the line, their donor skipped on their responsibility, and where does that thinking come from? Those donors parents who also skipped out on their responsibilities.

Just a long line of parents not being actual parents to the child. Again...

That's where the government and nanny state comes into play in the US...

Reactions: defdock

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014

You may consider moving to a "stand your ground" state....

Reactions: DC2

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If a hooligan is blowing clouds at little old ladies at the cereal Island at the Walmart and I ask him to stop and he doesn't, my corrective action- which would be to remove him from the Island, would be considered assault and I'd be arrested.
The trick is to get the hooligan to make the first move.
Whatever happens after that is self-defense.

Never initiate contact.

But even if you were allowed by law to remove said hooligan, that is not a solution.
Not a lot of people are physically able to deal with such issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread