Are mech clones dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Hi everyone,

I've kept away from clones ever since I started vaping, because I wanted to experience the real thing. However, I recently got a genuine interest in mech tubes (I already have a mech mod, it's just not a tube, it's a squonk box), but most of the ones that actually appeal me are not that affordable.
I'm thinking about trying a Ronin clone, and I know it won't be anywhere near as well-made as a genuine one, but putting that aside, what concerns me is safety.
There are venting holes, but I'm more concerned about other things, like maybe machining too cheap that it can fail and short somehow, or a switch that gets stuck, anything of the sort. Basically something that I can't see, so can't prevent, but can actually happen and get bad.

Reactions: stols001

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Unless badly made IMO safety levels of MECH IS equal... CLOSE VS authentic....

MAIN because 90% of the safety of a mech is 100% dependent on the user..... and the CHOICES the user makes in the batteries and builds. The actual mod if maintained is just a metal box or tube that you carry your batteties in and atomizer on.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Clones can sometimes be just as good as an authentic. Before putting a battery in you will want to take the mod apart and look at the parts, look for any problems that you can see. Make sure there is nothing inside that will rip a battery wrap, like burrs or sharp edges, and then check your switch and make sure it is functioning. That kind of stuff. This is something you should if it's a clone or authentic.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Imo the most important thing to keep an eye on would be the insulators in the button and 510 pin. If they start to deform or get brittle then it's time to stop using it. There's hardly any (nondestructive) way for a mere mortal to check if the insulator material in the clones is any good.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think in most cases the main difference between an authentic and a clone is that the clone manufacturer has found a way to manufacture their product cheaper than the authentic so that they can pass the savings onto the buyer and they can still make a profit.

So how does the clone manufacturer save on costs? By using inferior or lower quality parts? Less attention to detail or lower quality machining? That can be hard to determine if purchasing online, maybe even if you are able to inspect the authentic vs the clone side by side.

I agree with 93gc40 that "90% of the safety of a mech is 100% dependent on the user..... and the CHOICES the user makes in the batteries and builds. The actual mod if maintained is just a metal box or tube that you carry your batteries in and atomizer on."

I also agree with Zaryk, "Clones can sometimes be just as good as an authentic."

Last edited:

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Thanks guys, I'll just go for it then! I never had a mech tube so I'll do extra homework to really understand what to look for in the switch. I know how to build safely for a mech and have good VTC5As, I also know I need a protruding 510 (it's a hybrid top-cap tube), which I have on the Drop RDA. Thanks again for your insights!

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
the ronin clone is good,also, imho, the rx machina is a good tube mod

Good to know!

I've seen the RX Machina around, but I'm really not a fan of its aesthetics, and I really wanted a hybrid top-cap. I've heard the Hellvape Trishul is quite good for the price point, and it would be an authentic product, back by a real branding, so maybe prone to a better build quality, but I already ordered the Ronin clone. It may be a second tube though, depending on how I'll like the first one!

Reactions: stols001

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Good to know!

I've seen the RX Machina around, but I'm really not a fan of its aesthetics, and I really wanted a hybrid top-cap. I've heard the Hellvape Trishul is quite good for the price point, and it would be an authentic product, back by a real branding, so maybe prone to a better build quality, but I already ordered the Ronin clone. It may be a second tube though, depending on how I'll like the first one!
I do not care for the Machina's aesthetics either but, it is a well made authentic aa well as affordable a stick. I have an AV clone. Well made. I like it. I did give it a thorough inspection and cleaning before I used it. Also had a machiene shop drill a couple extra vents in the top portion of the device aa it only vents through the bottom cap. They charged me like $5 and even buffed the threads and gave it a polish. Great service. It turns out The Machinist doing the work was a Mech mod user himself. He treated my AV clone as if it were his own. Man did I get lucky. I hope you enjoy whichever clone you choose as I really do believe for the money a good quality clone is perfectly acceptable.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well part of the thing with clones, is knowing that some will absolutely suck, and others won't. I can see this being sort of a harder equation given that it's your first tube mech including what to look for and watch out for and that the particular clone you are interested in is good. So I see no reason not to start with one if that's what you want and can afford and etc. Good luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread