Are rebuildables really all that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbiz79

Feb 8, 2013
Hornell, NY
After 8 months of vaping and reading more information than one person should consume, I'm left wondering, should I try out a rebuildable? I like my vivi nova on my vamo but is there something that much better out there? Is it worth the learning curve and the purchase of a multi-meter along with wick and coil materials? I like what I am doing now but my curiosity has me pondering rba's daily. Maybe I should try carto tanks first...or dripping. With a limited vaping budget, what's the next step? I would love to hear what all of you out there have to say.

Renzuli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
North Las Vegas
Welcome to ECF , but not everyone uses rebuildables . The Vivi's are sort of low end rebuildables , because you can re-coil/wick them , fairly cheaply . If your happy with them , I see no particular reason to go down that road , at this point in time . I use a few rebuildables IE a Penelope , and a regular Ody , as well as a dripping Ody . I like them , but they are not cheap to buy , or to re-wick . At least not as cheaply as the Vivi's , and some of the Ego type stardusts , that are re-buildable , like the Vivi's . Good luck , with your decision . And there are several very inexpensive one's out there , if you want to try them out , and make up your own mind .

tartanraven

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The flavour and vape production from RBAs is in a word...incomparable. As for price...you can buy AGA-Ts all day for under $30. Mesh and wire are not expensive whatsoever when you consider the amount of vaping you get from a SS mesh wick versus fibre. All of us that use rebuildables have or are dealing with the learning curve, but it is conquered in a very short time with a little due patience. The payoff is that you have the satisfaction of tailoring your vape to how YOU want it. Sure you can rebuild some of the clearos (Yes people, for the eleventy bazillionth time..a Vivi is a CLEARO) but WHY? It's like putting ground effects on a Smart Car.

Stephenst4470

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Detroit, Mi
casaa.org
After 8 months of vaping and reading more information than one person should consume, I'm left wondering, should I try out a rebuildable? I like my vivi nova on my vamo but is there something that much better out there? Is it worth the learning curve and the purchase of a multi-meter along with wick and coil materials? I like what I am doing now but my curiosity has me pondering rba's daily. Maybe I should try carto tanks first...or dripping. With a limited vaping budget, what's the next step? I would love to hear what all of you out there have to say.

If you already have a Vamo you're not really going to need a meter, you can just use the resistance check on the device.

IntelligentDesigner

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
Raleigh, NC
When I can, I vape nothing but my RBA. When it's wrapped right, it blows away my other atomizers. But before that, I was quite happy with my ViVi. I still am. And I still use it at work since I don't have to worry so much about it tipping in my pocket and spilling. So if you're happy with it, I'd say stick with it.

If you're a tinkerer and like playing around and all with different flavors and juices and stuff, then an RBA might be recommendable, but I stress only to the mechanically inclined, even if only somewhat. If you're not at least somewhat dextrous with your hands, you'll probably find an RBA more trouble than it's worth and give up before you get good at it.

If your mod has a built in resistance test, you don't need a multimeter. If you have a gas stove, you don't need a micro torch. And the wicking and coil materials are far cheaper than new atomizers.

They can be acquired pretty cheaply. I have an AGA T+ that was only $30 + the cost of wicking materials and shipping. People who use it say it offers performance every bit as good as the $150+ models. I'm not too terribly sure if they're readily available yet since the Chinese New Year put a back log on the orders, but you can search or ask someone who knows.

So, if tinkering and collecting and the pursuit of an ultimate vape interests you, I'd recommend trying a cheap model. If you're happy with your ViVi and would rather spend the money on something else, then stick with what you've got.

tartanraven

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If you already have a Vamo you're not really going to need a meter, you can just use the resistance check on the device.
^^ This. Plus after some time, you will know what resistance you have just from experience. If I wrap 3 coils of 30g Kanthal on my wicks, I know without a metre that I have a .7-.8ohm coil. If I were to be using 32g that would be 1.2ohm...etc

tartanraven

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
St. Louis, MO
When I can, I vape nothing but my RBA. When it's wrapped right, it blows away my other atomizers. But before that, I was quite happy with my ViVi. I still am. And I still use it at work since I don't have to worry so much about it tipping in my pocket and spilling. So if you're happy with it, I'd say stick with it.

If you're a tinkerer and like playing around and all with different flavors and juices and stuff, then an RBA might be recommendable, but I stress only to the mechanically inclined, even if only somewhat. If you're not at least somewhat dextrous with your hands, you'll probably find an RBA more trouble than it's worth and give up before you get good at it.

If your mod has a built in resistance test, you don't need a multimeter. If you have a gas stove, you don't need a micro torch. And the wicking and coil materials are far cheaper than new atomizers.

They can be acquired pretty cheaply. I have an AGA T+ that was only $30 + the cost of wicking materials and shipping. People who use it say it offers performance every bit as good as the $150+ models. I'm not too terribly sure if they're readily available yet since the Chinese New Year put a back log on the orders, but you can search or ask someone who knows.

So, if tinkering and collecting and the pursuit of an ultimate vape interests you, I'd recommend trying a cheap model. If you're happy with your ViVi and would rather spend the money on something else, then stick with what you've got.
This......I have 11 RBA's and six of them are AGA-Ts. I also have two bliSS and a ZAP and ZAU....I would be remiss to say that the more expensive ones are better. The AGA-T is a wee beastie that with a glass sleeve, will last a very very long time.

Stephenst4470

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Detroit, Mi
casaa.org
^^ This. Plus after some time, you will know what resistance you have just from experience. If I wrap 3 coils of 30g Kanthal on my wicks, I know without a metre that I have a .7-.8ohm coil. If I were to be using 32g that would be 1.2ohm...etc

Still nice to check for hot spots, etc...
The Vamo is great, I have a ton of mods inculding Provaris and a Buzz Pro but I still build all my coils on the Vamo, really easy to move voltage around and check resistance. It's like buying a meter for $40 and finding out it Vapes great too!

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
First off: RBAs are not neccessarily good. GENESIS style atomizers are. They just happen to be the majority of the more popular RBAs, but they are not the same thing. Former is a category, latter is a style within that category.

Now, to answer your question: yes, genesis style atties make night and day difference compared to a Nova. I love my Novas, rebuilt all of them too, but they dont hold a candle to my AGA.

Plus if you ask me, a VAMO is kinda wasted on a Nova. A Twist would have sufficed. You can get an AGA-T+ that looks like it was made specifically for the VAMO for $25. Rest assured it vapes as well as any $150 RBA you see, MAYBE even better. Im not kidding.

adamtheegreat

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
Ewa Beach, HI
Definitely think about getting into RBA's. When I got into it, I ran into all sorts of problems. But overtime, I got better at building coils etc. And now, I got my rba on my mechanical mod set at .8ohms and I'm loving it! RBA's increase everything. Flavor, throat hit, and vapor. Just remember, it's going to take practice...a lot of practice. But once you get it, man... you'll be set!

rockb4

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2013
us
I've dipped my toes in the water by purchasing a A7 mini and a Vision Eternity. Each came with additional coils. I have not had to use the additional coils yet, but at least I can see how it works.

I use these on my VAMOs and love the taste. I usually vape through new flavors and rinse the coils and dry burn every couple of days.

The eternity can hold up to 40 drops which is plenty of vaping. Not sure about the A7 as I usually put 5 to 10 drops in at a time, some bottles have bigger drops than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread