• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Are you a liberal or conservative Christian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Hi everyone,

I just want to know what kind of Christians are most prevalent here. I myself am a strict fundamentalist and take scripture literally (though the creation stories I take as phenomenal). I know that most Christians are fundamentalist but fundamentalism is only dangerous if you take out random verses out of the Bible and ignore the whole story. Please share!

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio
I have never labeled myself as a certain kind of Christian. I have conservative views on many things, I believe the Bible is the living Word of God, I take what is written as the absolute truth and the standard to live by.

I don't even use the word christian much because it can mean so many different things. I attend a Baptist church but I don't consider myself a Baptist, I am a follower of Jesus no matter what church I attend.

So it looks like I would be closer to a conservative if I had to pick a label.

Interesting question, by the way.

Arizona Dad

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2009
Southern Arizona
I have to agree. Taking one or two verses to prove (or disprove) your idea and ignoring the rest is not a responsible way of going about it. I know from attending many churches over the years that there are a lot of pastors and preachers who do this. I believe that the Holy Bible is the true word of the Lord. I also have to confess that having read it many times, I still don't understand a lot of it. As to labels (no offense gashin), but I don't like them. Let's just say I'm a follower of Jesus Christ and try my best to live as He would want me to live (although I KNOW I fall short and stumble many times). I just thank Him for giving me the chances He gives me. Would that make me a conserliberalative? (Sorry, just couldn't resist) (grin)

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Well I guess I'd classify Catholics and universalists as being liberal. There is an official Catholic teaching that says Muslims, pagans, and atheists can be saved as long as they do good - and they don't take Jesus' words as they are... they rationalize everything he says liberally to fit whatever they want according to what's popular at the time (i.e. their acceptance of Anglican clergy in marriages and their conferences with Eastern religious leaders). Recently I brought my Catholic friend to a non-denominational Bible study - he liked the study of the Old Testament but as we were leaving, the Pastor told him that as long as you believe that Jesus is the one and only Savior, you're saved. He disagreed with this even though it's the whole point of Jesus' life and death!
I have to agree. Taking one or two verses to prove (or disprove) your idea and ignoring the rest is not a responsible way of going about it. I know from attending many churches over the years that there are a lot of pastors and preachers who do this. I believe that the Holy Bible is the true word of the Lord. I also have to confess that having read it many times, I still don't understand a lot of it. As to labels (no offense gashin), but I don't like them. Let's just say I'm a follower of Jesus Christ and try my best to live as He would want me to live (although I KNOW I fall short and stumble many times). I just thank Him for giving me the chances He gives me. Would that make me a conserliberalative? (Sorry, just couldn't resist) (grin)

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
On a political level, I'm a conservative, more right wing.

On a religious level I'm also conservative. I think God means what He says. I take the Bible literally unless a certain verse can't be taken that way (i.e. the trees clap their hands, etc). Most prophecies have already been fulfilled, and all of those were fulfilled literally, so I believe the rest of them will be too.

I believe the Bible contains no error, and it's a good thing, otherwise we'd have no truth to compare to what others say, the only way we can know who is telling the truth (confirming the Scriptures) and who is lying (contradicting the Scriptures).

BIBLE...

Basic
Instructions
Before
Leaving
Earth

I also belong to a bible based non-denominational church. I can only say that I know who I am and that is a child of the true most high God.

If it is not in the word, It is not truth. And yes, I also agree about people "Cherry picking" verses when there is so much more before and after the verses that were cherry picked. That does seem to be going on alot lately. All we can really do is pray for those that are doing it so that they may stop cherry picking verses from the bible to fit their own service agendas.

I believe what the bible teaches. I believe that it contains no errors in the original manuscripts. I believe in calling sin, sin and not trying to justify it by taking verses out of context. I believe there are people going to heaven and there are people going to hell. I am a Christian striving to have the mind of Christ. There is only one definition of a Christian and that is what the bible says.
As far a labels are concerned, I want to be labeled a Christian...
Acts 11:26...and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And for an entire year they met with the church and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.)
So whatever you would consider God to be, that is what I am:)

czarmoney

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Downriver, MI
I would say conservative, but being politically liberal I can have some "liberal" Christian ideas too I suppose. For instance, the Creation story and the debate between 6 day creationism, and young earth and new earth and so on and so forth. I take the stance that it doesn't matter, just that we except that it was created. And I think that the bible is the inspired word of God, but that we also have to consider the hand that wrote physically wrote it and the period in which it was written.

That being said I do believe there is absolute truth, the trinity, salvation through grace, the resurrection, the crucifixion. I think if to get a better answer you need to define what you think a conservative and a liberal christian are and believe. Though really I'm sure thats as diverse as the conservative/liberal axis in the political realm.

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
I am conservative politically.
As to what type of Christian I am, I guess I would be labeled conservative but I do not care for labels much within the church.
I am of the reformed faith and believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, every single word of it. I believe that God created the heavens and the earth, I believe that Jesus Christ is God who came in the flesh and that his death paid for my sins and his ressurection ensures that I also will live eternally with Him.

I guess you can say it best by just reading this

1. I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:

2. And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:

3. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:

4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:

5. The third day he rose again from the dead:

6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:

7. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:

8. I believe in the Holy Ghost:

9. I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:

10. The forgiveness of sins:

1l. The resurrection of the body:

12. And the life everlasting. Amen.

and this

We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made; who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, and the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and the dead, whose kingdom shall have no end.

And we believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, who proceedeth from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets. And we believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Those two creeds pretty much say it all for me.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I tend to listen to God more then the bible, i live with God everyday and in my mind thats better for me then to just take the bible word for it. I guess im very open minded and i love God and Jesus. I think i LisaLisa put it very good in what she wrote:)

Yea, you really can't go wrong if you pray and ask for guidance and have faith. There might come a day when our faith is all we have.

sloth

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Guam
hi guys,
when i was little i was raised in a baptist church i was really conservative, but as i grew older i started to become rebelious. even though i was rebelious i still had the fear for God and believed in him. just recentlly though i feel the need to get closer to GOd because my sins have done nothing to me but bad. im not sure what i would consider myself, but i am a believer.

quick question, do u think vaping is sinful? i started smoking wen i was 16(21 now) and i know it is sinful, im glad i quit n started vaping, but how did u guys start vaping?

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
hi guys,
when i was little i was raised in a baptist church i was really conservative, but as i grew older i started to become rebelious. even though i was rebelious i still had the fear for God and believed in him. just recentlly though i feel the need to get closer to GOd because my sins have done nothing to me but bad. im not sure what i would consider myself, but i am a believer.

quick question, do u think vaping is sinful? i started smoking wen i was 16(21 now) and i know it is sinful, im glad i quit n started vaping, but how did u guys start vaping?

Hi Sloth! See this thread here, it's all about vaping from a christian perspective. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...995-christian-what-your-thoughts-article.html

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't know if I can answer the liberal/ conservative/ fundamentalist thing - definitions of the words being rather fuzzy and up to interpretation.

I'm a big fan of C.S. Lewis. He was a great storyteller and a great teacher of Christianity. But the main reason I love him, is that his logic would put Mr. Spock to shame. So when it comes to questions of faith, I try to use, to the best of my puny ability, Lewisian logic. (I just made that word up:) ) Here's a good read if you are not already familiar with Lewis' Trilemma: Lewis's trilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is how I think he would have answered the OPs question:

Either the whole Bible is true, or the whole Bible is false.

The Bible says that it is the inspired word of God. If this is so, then the whole book must be true, as He says it is.

If parts of it are false, then the whole book has nothing to do with God and is the collected ravings of madmen and it is all wrong and none of it matters in the slightest.

Now from historical, archeological evidence, and my own personal observation and experience, certain parts are unquestionably true. Therefore, the whole Bible must be true.

The fact that any published writing has stood the test of several thousand years is nothing short of miraculous.

So I guess that would make me a conservative Christian.

~A

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I don't know if I can answer the liberal/ conservative/ fundamentalist thing - definitions of the words being rather fuzzy and up to interpretation.

I'm a big fan of C.S. Lewis. He was a great storyteller and a great teacher of Christianity. But the main reason I love him, is that his logic would put Mr. Spock to shame. So when it comes to questions of faith, I try to use, to the best of my puny ability, Lewisian logic. (I just made that word up:) ) Here's a good read if you are not already familiar with Lewis' Trilemma: Lewis's trilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is how I think he would have answered the OPs question:

Either the whole Bible is true, or the whole Bible is false.

The Bible says that it is the inspired word of God. If this is so, then the whole book must be true, as He says it is.

If parts of it are false, then the whole book has nothing to do with God and is the collected ravings of madmen and it is all wrong and none of it matters in the slightest.

Now from historical, archeological evidence, and my own personal observation and experience, certain parts are unquestionably true. Therefore, the whole Bible must be true.

The fact that any published writing has stood the test of several thousand years is nothing short of miraculous.

So I guess that would make me a conservative Christian.

~A

Yep, I'd say you're a conservative. :) I"m a liberal, very liberal because I don't believe all of the bible is literal. I think most of it is symbolic.

Like Hell for example, most christians believe this is a literal place or torment, and I do not.

I realize this view will be about as popular here as a fart in a crowded elevator, but that's what I believe.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
......... I"m a liberal, very liberal because I don't believe all of the bible is literal........

I realize this view will be about as popular here as a fart in a crowded elevator, but that's what I believe.

If that is what God told you, either by speaking to you directly, or by giving you a brain to reason it out - then who am I (or anyone else) to tell you it's wrong? :)

I believe that God speaks to each of us in the language that we will best understand. I am what D&D players would call a "rules lawyer" so I need the linear, black and white parameters for my brain to process something. (Call it a touch of OCD LOL) You, on the other hand, may find strict parameters impossible to funtion in. God knows this, and he tailors His message to the listener.

~A

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
If that is what God told you, either by speaking to you directly, or by giving you a brain to reason it out - then who am I (or anyone else) to tell you it's wrong? :)

I believe that God speaks to each of us in the language that we will best understand. I am what D&D players would call a "rules lawyer" so I need the linear, black and white parameters for my brain to process something. (Call it a touch of OCD LOL) You, on the other hand, may find strict parameters impossible to funtion in. God knows this, and he tailors His message to the listener.

~A

I totally agree, amen to that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread