Nov 22, 2008
Mexico

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
The report below says that people with mental health problems are about twice as likely to smoke as people without. It's very hard to get anyone who does suffer from one to quit as they are only now realising that cigarettes are used as a means to self-medicate. Will e-cigs be doled out to smokers who are mental health patients and perhaps low quantity nicotine carts to non-smokers too? could be. It seems there is still a lot to learn about nicotine and how it affects the brain. I hope they keep researching about how it might help sufferers of alzheimer's.

denialism blog : tobacco and mental illness

nqhqhz

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2009
Ireland
The report below says that people with mental health problems are about twice as likely to smoke as people without. It's very hard to get anyone who does suffer from one to quit as they are only now realising that cigarettes are used as a means to self-medicate. Will e-cigs be doled out to smokers who are mental health patients and perhaps low quantity nicotine carts to non-smokers too? could be. It seems there is still a lot to learn about nicotine and how it affects the brain. I hope they keep researching about how it might help sufferers of alzheimer's.

denialism blog : tobacco and mental illness

There's a good deal of science pointing to such a possibility. What makes e-cigarettes and other similiar delivery methods better to those who want to self-medicate and regain dopamine control than pills is that it mimics the self-titration feature that people with schizophrenia find in smoking tobacco.

nqhqhz

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2009
Ireland
Nicotine patches to treat depressed nonsmokers??

Crazy!

I don't think it will work in the long run anyway. Smoking helps (a little) but smokers still get depressed :(

Depression is so bad that every little helps and every new treatment can save lives. As you well know, it causes people to completely kill themselves.

Nicotine can be harmful but it has been used for a thousand years in tobacco, whereas depression medications are relatively new and their side effects can potentially more negatively impact on your life.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
The study is consistent with earlier studies on nicotine's impact. Nicotine has seemingly contradictory impacts -- stimulation and relaxation. How can that be? It's one or the other. What researchers have come to believe is that nicotine normalizes a person using it. A depressed person is uplifted; a hyper person is calmed.

In fact, nicotine patches are being investigated for use with hyperactive children (ADHD).

Nicotine from tobacco smoke had the up-down impact for me. I smoked when troubled, and it made me feel better; smoked when celebrating, and it brought me back to earth. Strangely, I don't feel that's the case with e-smoking, using snus, dissolvable tobacco, etc. I've not yet discovered a nicotine delivery system with the impact of inhaling cigarette smoke.

Puffing a pipe of fine tobacco is the only time I feel "right" -- but even that can't match a cigarette I haven't used now for 18 months.

That would then suggest that all the other chemicals that they put in cigarettes, like ammonia, are pretty important to the cigarette smoking experience. Therefore, I don't think you will ever get the same hit unless you add these chemicals back in. You could always try putting some bleach in your e-cig TB :D *

* PLEASE DONT!

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
There is also now a study being done to determine whether nicotine is a performance enhancing drug

The effect of nicotine on high-performance athletes is to be studied by Massey University researchers.

Nicotine is known to raise the blood pressure and increase heart rate, potentially pushing more blood to muscles, Sport and Exercise Science lecturer Dr Toby Mundel said.

"It could make an athlete more alert later in a race so they could make better tactical decisions.
source: 3news.co.nz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread