As my username says...really was a coincidence but I'm so glad it happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesByChance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2011
NorCal
Hello to all of you. I have been lurking (non-registered) for about three weeks on this forum. Found it through GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more which leads me to assume that this forum is sponsored/hosted by them? In any event, the reaction of "WOW" does not even begin to describe my reaction to this forum. I belong to other forums and I thought they were very active but wow. Also the content that I'm finding on this forum is amazing. Seems there are some very educated people that are very good at communicating/sharing their knowledge/experiences. I also get the impression that the people contributing to this forum are very helpful and speak from experience and when not known, state so and to proceed at ones own risk. I read the 109 page (now closed thread) on the "Health, Safethy and E-Smoking" section regarding the list of symptoms (took like 4 days to get through all of it, reading off and on) and the information recorded there is invaluable to a new e-smoker like me. Really glad I found this forum.

A little about me. Been smoking for 28 years. Wow, it's been THAT long. I started actually AFTER high school. Pretty stupid, really and all because I was sad about a girl that would not go out with me who I haven't seen since. I've been a closet smoker. Some of my close friends don't even know I smoke. Hid smoking from my parents even to now. I'm 46 and still too scared to have my Dad find out I'm a smoker. Don't smoke at work, etc. My fiance knew I smoked but I had told her I quit. I remember when I would go and see her, at the very least, I'd have to shampoo my hair and wash my face, brush my teeth, change my clothes, use mouthwash before leaving. It was to a point where I was going to quit just so that I wouldn't have to go through all of that. Oh, and I'd use a latex glove so that the smoke smell wouldn't get on my hands! Mental, really!

So, just by chance, I meet someone that was smoking an e-cig and got a chance to talk to him about it. He was very informative and provided tons of suggestions. Said he quit smoking easily by transitioning to e-cigs, so I figured I'd start researching. Thank goodness for the internet, youtube and this forum. After tons of research, reading, watching video's, differences in juices (pg vs. vg), different voltages for batteries along with the different models and the different "izers", cartomizers, atomizers, fluxomizers, etc., I was ready to make my purchase. it was difficult, should I go the EGO-T battery path with the variable voltages (get two of those) and some fluxomizers (like the person that was so gracious in talking to me about e-cigs) or go with the V2 starter kit + the Powercig Passthrough. I decided on going the V2 route, just because it had everything and I didn't have to go through several sites to get started. My quit date is December 5th, when I had my last analog. I was going between analog and the v2's for about 3 days. Went from smoking ~ 14 cigs a day to 3 and then none. I've been analog free since then.

No real side effects other than chapped lips. I'm like a couple of the other people that I've read about where they have an active lifestyle, workout regularly and watch what they eat BUT smoke. I say this because I already stay hydrated drink tons of water, so maybe that could be why I haven't experienced other symptoms like dry mouth and strong thirst?

Request for Help:

I've searched the forums to try to find what I'm looking for and have found tidbits, like the charts that show voltage to ohms or resistance on cartomizers and also found that the V2 cigs (I have the extra long manual ones) are the KR808 battery type. I've learned that my batteries are 4.2 volts and the passthrough that I have is 5.1 volts. I am using the 18 and 12 mg cowboy flavor. I was concerned with throat hit and I wanted to at least cover a range to see which I could bear. I smoked marlboro lights and I'm finding I can go either way. Seem to be satisfied at either nicotine range. I went ahead and ordered some Amarreto 18mg 60ml on sale at americaneliquidstore.com and have been drip filling the carts with that. I never thought I would like "flavored" smoke but I'm enjoying it. The combination of the V2 and the e-liquid seem to be perfect for me. Good vape, almost perfect throat hit. I am finding that I don't like the cartomizers because I cannot see how much is left and wanted to go the fluxomizer route, so I ordered from gotvapes the GotVapes FLüXomizer™ DeLuXe CLEAR KR808 XL 1.8ml 2.4-2.6ohm and a drip tip.

Received package from gotvapes and was REALLY excited, wanting to try these fluxomizers out:
removed a fluxomizer from package
took apart, removing seals
fluffed wick
filled with e-juice (amaretto 18mg)
inserted ring to seal
inserted drip tip
ready to vape

Results:
Connected to extra long v2 4.2 volt battery
very smooth, so smooth that there was no throat hit but lots of vapor. Noticed a ting burnt taste. Took another drag and definitely no throat hit, and flavor definitely different from using the cartomizer. Took one more just HOPING it would give me the same experience as the carto's and this time, (I was by a mirror) I noticed that the atomizer (?) part was glowing orange and definitely getting that burnt taste with no throat hit. Not happy, kinda apprehensive now cause the orange glow.

of course, like a fool, connected to V2 PowerCig passthrough 5.1 volts just to see: Tons of vapor, really burnt taste and no throat hit. tried again and same but worst on taste. Okay, time to put away and do more research.

Searched forums and found the chart listing the voltages to resistance and found I seemed to be in the green with the 2.4-2.6 with the 4.2 volt battery but way out of range for the 5.1 passthrough. Looks like I definitely need to go with higher resistance but how high? From what I read higher the resistance the less vapor (does that mean even less of a chance with throat hit?) More research, I could not find anything on affect on throat hit. All things being equal (the e-liquid and the batteries, only difference was the fluxomizer) why would that affect the throat hit? I'm focusing on throat hit because for me, it seems to be the one that, along with the nicotine, satisfies my cravings. Without that but still getting the nicotine I don't think it would be as satisfying, so should I do the 2.6-2.8 ohm 808 fluxomizer or go for the 2.8-3.0 fluxomizer with the 510-808 adapter? I don't really want to spend more money right now on replacing the V2 batteries, eventually, I know I will but if I go up in resistance, will I find that throat hit again and how far up do I have to go? Oh, and I'd like to be able to use the fluxomizer on both the batteries and the passthrough.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I know there are many of you that would have idea's.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Whoa.... what a thread! Congratulations! Like madjack said with higher volts, about 3.0 ohm devices are better to use.

I recently tried one of those "fluxomizer" sort of tank/cartomizer combo. I personally couldn't stand it. The thing with cartomizers is just make sure they're moist. If after the first fill they start to taste off or the batting inside looks dry, just put in a couple drops...wait.. then a couple more drops until it looks moist again. You want them wet but not too wet. I think you'll have more luck getting that TH with a cartomizer then a fluxomizer as they seem rather testy but that's just my opinion. Also, a higher PG liquid can help you out with a better TH. Higher VG more vapor but kills some flavor/TH.

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
If the coil is glowing when you're using it, it's a sure sign it's underwicking. It's a very easy solution for this since you've done most of it already:

Take out all of the seals, and the inside seal that sits over the cup, snip the seal slots a little wider. You want them to be a /\ shape instead of straight. Just a tad wider and higher. With more space for the slots, you'll find it wicks much better and will be a much fuller flavour. Just tilt it sideways or upside down for a second or two when it starts to get dry depending on the thickness of the liquid.

I use CE2s aka fluxomisers with vg so it can wick very thick liquids even once you've snipped the seal slots. Oh, and on the first use, put two drops of liquid directly onto the coil as well, as if the wick is wet to start with it will soak up liquid a lot better than if it was dry.

You can also put either the middle seal back in upside down or put the doughnut seal over the cup instead of the main seal for it to wick extremely quickly. Obviously this means that your CE2s will be less portable as they will need to be kept upright.

As for throat hit, I'm not so sure because it hurts like crazy if the CE2s are underwicking. What ohms were your original cartomisers? I use 2.4 - 2.6ohm CE2s at 5v and it's pretty alright for TH even with lower nicotine levels.

Most of your TH comes from nicotine, then secondly it will be the wattage (ie lower ohms and higher voltage = more watts so more heat and therefore TH). So really, you'd want to lower your resistance for more TH but it sounded more like a wicking issue with the CE2 more than heat or nicotine levels, so I wouldn't recommend you lower the ohms with your CE2.

If you get an adapter it's much cheaper than buying two sets of everything, so I would do that. I own a 510 - 901/808 adapter that does what it's meant to for the same reason you want one.

I'd say 2.4 - 2.6ohm CE2s are fine but that's to my taste. I use 2.4 - 2.6ohm CE2s at 5v as my main vaping setup. I found you need to cut the seal slots to use a CE2 at higher voltages for it to keep up with wicking, and at any voltage if you use thicker liquids.

Give the seal mod a shot. I've cut every single CE2's seal slots I've owned so far and none of them have been a problem after that. Good luck my man, CE2s can rock better than most things once you've got them down.

Last edited:

JesByChance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2011
NorCal
Hi again! Thank you for welcoming me to the forum and for the feedback/suggestions. Leftfield, I will snip the seal as you suggest and give it another try. I've seen a couple of videos showing how to do this. Sitting at my sons ortho appt so I don't have it in front of me but there are two seals and one "mouthpiece" on the fluxo. The recommendation I've seen is to remove the middle seal and then the seal that sits on the cup. Throw the cup seal out and use the middle seal only with the flat side facing up. This is what I did and I know the middle seal does not have the nicks cut out of them, so do I just cut out ones myself or use the original cup seal and snip those grooves out a bit?

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
Yes. I should have been more clear, sorry.

Like you said, there's three seals: mouthpiece, middle one with no nicks and the cup seal. The one you're looking to cut is the cup seal one. You can use the middle seal but it's much less secure and will wick rediculously quickly. If you snip the slots on the cup seal you'll be able to put it back on and still have it wicking optimally without the danger of flooding the cup that fast.

JesByChance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2011
NorCal
Hey everyone! I feel really welcomed to this community. Thank you for the suggestions all but...

LEFTFIELD....YES!!!!! So, I sniped the seal and seated it with a small pointed philips (like for eyeglasses) and it didn't really seat well. Tried it out and it was better but still not quite like the cartomizer. Played with it a little and decided, what the heck, I'll add more juice and give it one more shot. This time, I used something with more surface area to seat the seal on the cup and voila! AMAZING, it's a tad bit "better" than the hits I'm getting from the cartomizer...the fluxomizer is working working working!!! I was doing the happy dance! Wow, I'm so surprised that just a little adjustment makes all that difference. By doing the adjustment and seating the seal "better", what is it now doing that it wasn't previously? Also, I was SO tempted with just removing all the seals and just using the drip tip to cover it. What would be the detriment of doing that had I done so. I don't plan on doing it anymore because it's PERFECT! Thank you so much!!

Going to be offline for a while but wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread