Asking a question and introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my name is Lynne and I am pretty new to forum. I work as a stop smoking advisor and have heard consultants and nursing staff say to my clients "we have conducted autopsies and found oil in the lungs and those who have been vaping". I thought this was impossible because of alcohol based glycerin? I have researched this and found no evidence to back this up. Except one report from ITV in 2011 about a Wardley (Gateshead) man who had lipoid pneumonia and would have died from this anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I've been vaping almost 5 years and I've never heard that claim.

Health care professionals are people so they may be biased or they may be misinformed by an article they read.

AFAIK there is no oil in liquids made for vaping. Everything is water soluble. Maybe those people were vaping "other stuff" or using grocery store flavorings made for candy/frosting etc.

VG is very viscous and does resemble oil but it is water soluble. PG, also water soluble, is used in asthma inhalers and has antibacterial qualities.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
You might ask these consultants and staff members why they are making Unsubstantiated Medical Statements which are hard to explain as being anything more that FUD?
Yes. And also ask the consultants and staff members why they're conducting autopsies? I don't think they're allowed to do that, even in the UK.:eek:

But then, if they just make up stories about vaping, I guess they feel they can do what they want.

Seriously, though - if you're job is to assist people in stopping tobacco, you really need to call them out on this. And speak to the top person in charge. Wow.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
@jemlyn There is a global conspiracy to sling mud at vaping driven by those who stand to lose the most by it's success, namely
tobacco and pharmaceutical companies. That story about oil and autopsies is absolute BS.

I smoked for 20+ years, and I would be bed-ridden with savage bronchitis two or three times a year. Since I started vaping 9 years ago, I have not been sick once.
Vaping is in my opinion one of the most significant life saving technologies of the 20th or 21st centurys.

The reason why vaping is so successful as opposed to other nicotine replacement therapies is that the act of inhaling and exhaling smoke/vapor is where the main psychological addiction hooks lie, rather than just the chemical dependence itself.

As a health professional especially one associated with smoking cessation you should read of the two links I have provided below.
Bear in mind that vaping should considered 'harm reduction', obviously the only thing that should be going in your lungs is fresh air. But the ball park figure is that vaping is at least 95% less harmful than smoking tobacco.

E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review

Royal College Of Physicians Says E-Cigarettes Can 'Prevent Almost All The Harm From Smoking'

Hello @jemlyn. I work in a Morgue, and have done for nearly eight years. I have witnessed thousands of autopsies and have disseminated the results to the relevant authorities. I have NEVER seen findings as you have described.
I would like to thank you for your response. I have researched this and found no evidence except the one I mention and that was inconclusive. Thanks to all who responded, greatly appreciated.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hi @jemlyn,

I'd like to confirm @gandymarsh's statement that there is no oil in ejuice. As I understand it, people who vape other stuff (which may not be discussed here) do vape oil, but otherwise vaping is oil-free. The standard contents of ejuice are:
  • VG - vegetable glycerine
  • PG - propylene glycol (also used as the carrier in inhaled medical treatments, including standard asthma inhalers)
  • nicotine - the stuff we use is diluted with PG and/or VG
  • flavours - usually PG-based, sometimes VG- or ethanol-based
I can't promise that no one has ever used an oil-based flavouring or essential oil. We do get questions about that on occasion, and the questioners are warned (very enthusiastically) about avoiding anything oil-related. But barring the occasional ill-informed DIYer, there should be no oil at all in ejuice.

And we appreciate you as well. Thank you for taking the trouble to research the question.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I wouldn’t be shocked if some sort of oil was in someone’s lungs, but I wouldn’t believe it was from vaping. There are a million ways things get into our lungs from the second we’re born and start breathing.

My husband’s biopsy showed silicon in the tumor in his lung. Easily explainable because the machine he ran used a silicone based lubricant.

His autopsy showed no evidence of vaping at all, and it was clearly indicated in his records.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Welcome and glad you joined.
I try not to believe a thing I read until I weight multiple commentaries on the subject. I just read a Bustle article claiming: "The jury is still out as to how safe (or unsafe) vaping ----"
re:
These E-Cigarette Flavors Are Especially "Toxic," According To A New Study
11 Health Mistakes People Make When Vaping
It became quickly apparent to me that these articles cherry picked pretty much all the negative aspects of vaping and only giving minor credence to the positive more important life saving aspects at the end of the articles.
The writers were careful not to mention any of these types of articles (some were written after Bustles'):
E-Cigarettes Are Effective at Helping Smokers Quit, a Study Says
American Cancer Society Position Statement on Electronic Cigarettes
E-cigs 'definitely' safer than smoking
Vaping is the reason for massive decline in UK smoking
Government legalises e-cigarettes in effort to make New Zealand smokefree by 2025
Australian and New Zealand psychiatrists endorse vaping
http://blog.mtbakervapor.com/new-cdc-study/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread