Aspire BDC, Like I Need A Hole In The Head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
Hello Aspire BDC people...

I'm looking for a place that sells the Aspire BDC "4 Hole" design heads, ohms not important, And they are just the standard heads for the Davide BDC Glassomizer.

I vape 100% VG and the 2 hole design just wont wick for me.

Any help would be appreciated...

Please and Thank you!!! :)

good luck, the four hole head was pre-production and never officially released. while some folks may have received them it was either a mistake or , worse, to unload them. personally i have the 2 hole design and vape 100% vg juices(bobas bounty,etc.) with no problems so i wonder why you are having issues. you have to give it a few minutes after filling to allow the juice to wick but after the patience to let it soak i have had zero problems.........

GREEN ZOMBIE

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Calgary AB
What voltage are you at? You may have fried your coils/wick by putting out too much voltage, thus ruining the flavor on that particular head forever. For a 1.8 dual ohm, I wouldn't go past 4.7-5 volts, and my sweet spot is usually 4.5.

4 volts, ohms 2.2 on the 2 hole design, maybe I have a bad coil in the 2 hole design or it's just an older head

Edit: The Head is stated as 2.1ohm but tested at 2.2ohm... Just in case you guys noticed they don't make a 2.2 head... lol

Last edited:

JaneB

Unregistered Supplier
Nov 1, 2013
Colorado
vapeshop.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Bawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
boynton beach, FL
2 holed ones wont wick for me with 50/50 juice. i guess it needs water to wick, then we can actually say "hey relax its just water vapor". its not just a bad head. bought 6 heads, not one wicks. been through 8 now 2 that came with it and 6 that i bought seperately. 1 wicked for 24hours, and then went burnt. i have no more hair on my head, my lungs are bleeding from all the dry hits. starting to lose it a bit. starting to snap a bit. i have never been so frustrated in anything else in my life.

Last edited:

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    2 holed ones wont wick for me with 50/50 juice. i guess it needs water to wick, then we can actually say "hey relax its just water vapor". its not just a bad head. bought 6 heads, not one wicks. been through 8 now 2 that came with it and 6 that i bought seperately. 1 wicked for 24hours, and then went burnt. i have no more hair on my head, my lungs are bleeding from all the dry hits. starting to lose it a bit. starting to snap a bit. i have never been so frustrated in anything else in my life.

Been using the aspires for a few weeks and all my juice is 50/50, have no problem with dry hits, the aspires replaced my iclears due to not being able to keep up with my chain vaping, the aspires do, every hit is good with these, with my limited experience with them, find it best to wash heads 1st, then drop a few drops of juice in head before filling tank, then leave to soak for about 15 minutes, after that couple of hits without firing, good to go for me after that.

JoeDerty

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 28, 2013
    Carrollton, Georgia, United States
    on my mini aspire i hate hate hate it burnt taste alot and bad flavor! but my full size is pretty good im breaking it in now and i might just like it. The mini i tried 2 other coils and no luck yet ive wasted so much juice trying to break it in. Im done with the mini. Oh and i have to vape 100% vg as well so idk what to do i dont wanna give up on it because its almost perfect!

JoeDerty

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 28, 2013
    Carrollton, Georgia, United States
    i am actually trying to figure this issue out. i have a lot heads that don't wick i am going to start pulling them apart and see what the issue is. to see if i can get to the bottom of this

thats a good idea let it sit like your about to vape it then open one up and see if its even wet on the inside!

Bawn

ECF Veteran
    Nov 18, 2011
    boynton beach, FL
    IMG_1157.jpg IMG_1160.jpg IMG_1163.jpg IMG_1164.jpg IMG_1162.jpg

this head was previously used once, when it was not wicking. i have since then washed it last night and its been drying over night and was perfectly dry before doing this experiment, that is why the coils look dirty and dingy. bare in mind this coil was used for maybe 3 minutes before i pulled it out due to it not wicking.

i did the same thing i would normally do when putting a fresh head on it.
    here is what i did.

i put this clean head in the tank with 50/50 juice. let it sit for exactly 10 minutes which should be plenty of time for the liquid to soak in. i then gave it 5 very hard unpowered priming puffs. I never actually fired the head. i then pulled the head off and took it apart to see whether or not juice was actually making it to the coils or not. if you ask why didn't I prime it by dripping drops into the head

A: i wanted to see if any juice even makes inside the head without dripping any drops into the head itself

B: you should not have to drip juice inside the head before use. if the head functions properly, juice should flow freely into that head no matter what.

ok so my findings are this. the filler material does NOT get wet enough. No where near wet enough for the juice to transfer from the surrounding filler material to the wick. in the pictures you can see the filler material is very dry. its barely even damp to the touch. it is in no way saturated enough. the wicks are also very dry. the wicks and material is stained because it was previously used so bare that in mind. you can see where the coil was actually burning the filler material from its previous 3 minute use. if that filler material was wet enough, that burning wouldn't have happened in the first place. the filler material surrounding the head was actually making contact with the top coil. in one of the pictures you can see the heat shield lining that lines the lower portion of the head (the post section). you can see that's very charred.

so in conclusion, these heads are malfunctioning. as you inhale the negative pressure caused should create a vacuum which in turn pulls liquid into those little tiny holes which should soak the filler material and that material should feed the wicks. This however is not happening. These heads could in fact work but, they will need to start making those holes much much bigger to allow that filler material to really get soaked. even with 4 holes that small i think it would still be problematic with a thicker juice maybe even a thin juice.

Last edited:

bludogg

ECF Veteran
    Oct 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks for the effort jtracc, and good methodology. I've had the exact same issues as you with 50/50 and 70/30 juices. Got 1 out of 7 heads to vape...flavorlessly.

These things just don't wick and I had come to the same conclusions as to why, but it's nice to see the evidence. The holes need to be bigger and less dense filler wrap on the interior. The filler material should just be there to draw liquid through the hole, but it doesn't appear it's capable of soaking up enough liquid for this purpose.

I haven't had the leaks, but the dry flavorless hits. I can see how the filler wrap can be the culprit for both situations. The filler wrap needs to be tightly abutting the wicking holes. If it isn't you will get juice inside the head between the wrap and the inner side of the cylinder leading to leaks, but you will be getting juice to the wicks (well the bottom wick/coil at least) and possibly a decent vape, but no flavor as there isn't enough pressure to draw liquid into the coil/wicks with liquid inside the head already. If the filler wrap IS securely abbuting the hole well enough, but isn't efficiently transporting liquid (due to the material) to the coil wicks you will get dry flavorless/wispy vapes.

Edit: Also, to someone who has a head they are happy with, and wouldn't mind sacrificing a head for a test. Would you mind taking it apart after some vaping and comparing the filler wrap, top wick/coil, and bottom wick/coil. I have a suspicion that only the bottom wick/coil is getting fed, not by the filler, but by liquid leaking between the wrap and inner wall into the bottom of the atomizer chamber and the top coil/wick will be bone dry.

Last edited:

Bawn

ECF Veteran
    Nov 18, 2011
    boynton beach, FL
    Thanks for the effort jtracc, and good methodology. I've had the exact same issues as you with 50/50 and 70/30 juices. Got 1 out of 7 heads to vape...flavorlessly.

These things just don't wick and I had come to the same conclusions as to why, but it's nice to see the evidence. The holes need to be bigger and less dense filler wrap on the interior. The filler material should just be there to draw liquid through the hole, but it doesn't appear it's capable of soaking up enough liquid for this purpose.

I haven't had the leaks, but the dry flavorless hits. I can see how the filler wrap can be the culprit for both situations. The filler wrap needs to be tightly abutting the wicking holes. If it isn't you will get juice inside the head between the wrap and the inner side of the cylinder leading to leaks, but you will be getting juice to the wicks (well the bottom wick/coil at least) and possibly a decent vape, but no flavor as there isn't enough pressure to draw liquid into the coil/wicks with liquid inside the head already. If the filler wrap IS securely abbuting the hole well enough, but isn't efficiently transporting liquid (due to the material) to the coil wicks you will get dry flavorless/wispy vapes.

Edit: Also, to someone who has a head they are happy with, and wouldn't mind sacrificing a head for a test. Would you mind taking it apart after some vaping and comparing the filler wrap, top wick/coil, and bottom wick/coil. I have a suspicion that only the bottom wick/coil is getting fed, not by the filler, but by liquid leaking between the wrap and inner wall into the bottom of the atomizer chamber and the top coil/wick will be bone dry.

When I pulled the top cap off there wasn't even liquid at the bottom by the lower coil. The bottom coil isn't getting fed either. I think if these people are legit getting heads that work well those holes must drilled a little bigger then the one we are getting. I mean that filler material acts like a wall and blocks those two little holes. The material is very dense and doesn't absorb very easily.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread