Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
hi vapers,
i just bought an aspire speeder mod but i havent used it yet, i am not sure what battery to use, i am between a samsung 25r and a lg hg2. thank you for your answers :) im new at this

Those are both good batteries. With the Samsung, you can go up to 60 w per battery, so 120 w on the Speeder which I believe is a two battery mod. The HG2s can safely give you 50 w per battery, so up to 100 w on the Speeder. The HG2s have a slightly higher capacity (3000 mAh, compared to the 25R's 2500 mAh), meaning they'll last a little longer before you have to recharge.

It's also important to buy your batteries from a reliable vendor. There are a lot of counterfeits around, and using a reliable vendor lowers your risk of getting stuck with one. Their prices aren't any higher than anyone else's, so there's no downside. Note that there are a lot of counterfeits on Amazon and Ebay, so never buy your batteries there.

Have you found Mooch's chart yet? Mooch is our resident battery guru, and he makes a very useful chart of batteries he recommends for vaping. There's a list of good vendors in the blue section at the bottom. The latest version can always be found here:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

If you have any questions about what any of this means or where I'm getting the wattage limits, please ask. I and many others will be happy to explain whatever you want to know.

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
Those are both good batteries. With the Samsung, you can go up to 60 w per battery, so 120 w on the Speeder which I believe is a two battery mod. The HG2s can safely give you 50 w per battery, so up to 100 w on the Speeder. The HG2s have a slightly higher capacity (3000 mAh, compared to the 25R's 2500 mAh), meaning they'll last a little longer before you have to recharge.

It's also important to buy your batteries from a reliable vendor. There are a lot of counterfeits around, and using a reliable vendor lowers your risk of getting stuck with one. Their prices aren't any higher than anyone else's, so there's no downside. Note that there are a lot of counterfeits on Amazon and Ebay, so never buy your batteries there.

Have you found Mooch's chart yet? Mooch is our resident battery guru, and he makes a very useful chart of batteries he recommends for vaping. There's a list of good vendors in the blue section at the bottom. The latest version can always be found here:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

If you have any questions about what any of this means or where I'm getting the wattage limits, please ask. I and many others will be happy to explain whatever you want to know.
thank you for the answer, and if i would like to go over 120 what battery would you recomend me? what would happen if i used the 25r and go about 180? i think maybe i will not use it over 120 but just for curiosity sometimes i would go up. thank you again

Reactions: stols001

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ngs-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
img_4813-jpg.643937

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’m not a big fan of gigantic voltages myself. I normally vape between 25-40w myself. They really don’t buy you much and making the super low resistance coils necessary can be twitchy. I assume the speeder is a series (vs parallel) battery mod which means you can go up to a bit over 7v before the joule thief in your mod kicks in and the pulsing and massive battery drain get truly annoying. Call it maybe ~120v as the real life maximum wattage on the mod. The top end voltages are strictly for cloud chasing which does little but annoy passers by. Even at my levels my sister who is a mtl vaper wont let me vape in her car even though she does.

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
o
I’m not a big fan of gigantic voltages myself. I normally vape between 25-40w myself. They really don’t buy you much and making the super low resistance coils necessary can be twitchy. I assume the speeder is a series (vs parallel) battery mod which means you can go up to a bit over 7v before the joule thief in your mod kicks in and the pulsing and massive battery drain get truly annoying. Call it maybe ~120v as the real life maximum wattage on the mod. The top end voltages are strictly for cloud chasing which does little but annoy passers by. Even at my levels my sister who is a mtl vaper wont let me vape in her car even though she does.
okey, thanks for your opinion, but do you think that something happens if i go like to 130?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Either it won't fire (depending on the state of your battery charge at the time, possibly) or you'll get diminished battery life. Why not try vaping it awhile below 120 and see how you like it? 120 watts is a pretty intense vape, (IMO but I'm a tootle puffer.)

I'd say it's likely nothing terrible will happen (it's a regulated mod) but overstressing your batteries is just a bad idea, period.

Anna

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
o
Either it won't fire (depending on the state of your battery charge at the time, possibly) or you'll get diminished battery life. Why not try vaping it awhile below 120 and see how you like it? 120 watts is a pretty intense vape, (IMO but I'm a tootle puffer.)

I'd say it's likely nothing terrible will happen (it's a regulated mod) but overstressing your batteries is just a bad idea, period.

Anna
thanks for your answer!! you are right, i have never vaped above 80!! i will try vaping at 120w

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You don't even HAVE to vape 120 watts, just because you can. Prime the coil while slowly increasing wattage, and find your sweet spot. It might be 70 watts, or 100 watts. You just don't have to take it up to 11 right off the bat, that might be too much vape for you although if you want, you can certainly try 120 watts, though I'm not sure you'll love it. But best of luck, either way.

Anna

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
You don't even HAVE to vape 120 watts, just because you can. Prime the coil while slowly increasing wattage, and find your sweet spot. It might be 70 watts, or 100 watts. You just don't have to take it up to 11 right off the bat, that might be too much vape for you although if you want, you can certainly try 120 watts, though I'm not sure you'll love it. But best of luck, either way.

Anna
yes! you are right, i have to try first, how many watts do you use?

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
o

okey, thanks for your opinion, but do you think that something happens if i go like to 130?

It's not likely anything will go seriously wrong if you occasionally go 10 w over your limit, but the risk increases as you go higher and as the battery ages.

Batteries have a CDR - continuous discharge rating. That's the 20 A or 25 A or 30 A rating you'll see on Mooch's chart. The CDR tells you the most amps you can safely pull continuously from a (new, excellent condition) battery. The risks of going higher than that are:
  • Damage to the battery - this will shorten its life and lower its CDR. Unfortunately, once a battery has been mistreated you'll no longer know what the CDR actually is, meaning you won't know how to use it safely and the chance of something more serious going wrong increases.
  • Battery won't function - If you ask too much of a battery and you're very lucky, it just won't work.
  • Venting - The positive end of the battery cracks (as it's designed to do if the pressure gets too high) and hot gasses are released. The battery is then dead. Your mod might be damaged too. Depending on how things go, there's a chance you could be injured.
  • Thermal runaway - Battery explosion. Mod's dead, you're likely damaged, and you show up on the news as evidence of the risks of vaping.
The problem is that these don't go in order - you can be going along with no signs of trouble until your battery suddenly explodes. To be fair, thermal runaway isn't particularly likely with a regulated mod like the Speeder, but it is possible. For me (and for quite a few others), the risk of thermal runaway just isn't worth the advantages of exceeding the CDR.

I think you also asked what batteries you could use if you want to go higher. If you check the chart, you'll see some batteries with CDRs of 25A and 30A. With 25A, you can go to 72 w/ battery, or 144 w. With 30A, you can go to 85 w/battery, or 170 W. There aren't any 18650s that let you go higher than that, although some falsely claim you can. One thing to note - as the CDR goes up, the capacity drops, so a 25A or 30A battery won't last as long between charges as a 20A one.

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
It's not likely anything will go seriously wrong if you occasionally go 10 w over your limit, but the risk increases as you go higher and as the battery ages.

Batteries have a CDR - continuous discharge rating. That's the 20 A or 25 A or 30 A rating you'll see on Mooch's chart. The CDR tells you the most amps you can safely pull continuously from a (new, excellent condition) battery. The risks of going higher than that are:
  • Damage to the battery - this will shorten its life and lower its CDR. Unfortunately, once a battery has been mistreated you'll no longer know what the CDR actually is, meaning you won't know how to use it safely and the chance of something more serious going wrong increases.
  • Battery won't function - If you ask too much of a battery and you're very lucky, it just won't work.
  • Venting - The positive end of the battery cracks (as it's designed to do if the pressure gets too high) and hot gasses are released. The battery is then dead. Your mod might be damaged too. Depending on how things go, there's a chance you could be injured.
  • Thermal runaway - Battery explosion. Mod's dead, you're likely damaged, and you show up on the news as evidence of the risks of vaping.
The problem is that these don't go in order - you can be going along with no signs of trouble until your battery suddenly explodes. To be fair, thermal runaway isn't particularly likely with a regulated mod like the Speeder, but it is possible. For me (and for quite a few others), the risk of thermal runaway just isn't worth the advantages of exceeding the CDR.

I think you also asked what batteries you could use if you want to go higher. If you check the chart, you'll see some batteries with CDRs of 25A and 30A. With 25A, you can go to 72 w/ battery, or 144 w. With 30A, you can go to 85 w/battery, or 170 W. There aren't any 18650s that let you go higher than that, although some falsely claim you can. One thing to note - as the CDR goes up, the capacity drops, so a 25A or 30A battery won't last as long between charges as a 20A one.
okey, thank you very much!!! now i know that i will not go over 120, maybe i will try 130 but just for testing. i have decided to buy the samsung 25 R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread