battery charging on my mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Contrary to what other will tell you I see no problem charging the batteries in a MOD that is designed to charge in the MOD. Been told my Alien does not do balanced charging but testing the device multiple times has proved this is just BS propagated by people who do not actually own the device. If it can't handle charging safely why is it built into the device? Sure some do not do it as well as others but some of the information you read can be based on bad cells or mismatched unmarried groups. Just my opinion and I am not an expert. Just have a fair amount of hands on experience............

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I have never done any testing myself to say one way or the other. I always charge in a separate charger but that is more about keeping the mod going than anything else. I bought an 18650 flashlight for the same reason. I can swap batteries and keep it going. One battery can be busy charging in the background so to speak.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I own a 4 bay charger but I do not bring it with me when I spend a few days away from home and there are times I need to charge more MOD's or batteries than I have charging bays for. The reason I tested the Alien was because of all the BS I heard about it. In my opinion it isn't worth the bits of data it takes to store it on the server aside from the fact the person that was disseminating this incorrect info did not own one and was going on what a reviewer posted.

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
I have the speeder and when I first got it I charged the batteries in the mod. It did a much better job than my POS trustfire charger. The reviews I have seen on the speeder have pretty much said it does a decent job of doing internal charging as far as balanced charging and what not.

I recently got a LUC 4 charger though so I use that now. It will charge 2 batteries at 2 amps and 4 batteries at .5 and 1 amp. I can charge a couple batteries in like an hour or two with this thing. Best vaping purchase I have made. Second best would be the VTC5A batteries I got at the same time.

My only two issues with using the mods to charge is that, one they take longer to charge. And two the mini usb ports are not very good and tend to fail over time. One of the reasons I switched to external battery type mods.

I have an MVP 3.0 that I loved until the port failed and I couldn't charge it anymore.

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
I have the speeder and when I first got it I charged the batteries in the mod. It did a much better job than my POS trustfire charger. The reviews I have seen on the speeder have pretty much said it does a decent job of doing internal charging as far as balanced charging and what not.

I recently got a LUC 4 charger though so I use that now. It will charge 2 batteries at 2 amps and 4 batteries at .5 and 1 amp. I can charge a couple batteries in like an hour or two with this thing. Best vaping purchase I have made. Second best would be the VTC5A batteries I got at the same time.

My only two issues with using the mods to charge is that, one they take longer to charge. And two the mini usb ports are not very good and tend to fail over time. One of the reasons I switched to external battery type mods.

I have an MVP 3.0 that I loved until the port failed and I couldn't charge it anymore.
thanks for your reply. so you think i should buy an external charger or should use the mod until it doesnt work well?

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017

thanks for your reply. so you think i should buy an external charger or should use the mod until it doesnt work well?

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
Honestly, if you can afford it get a decent charger. You can get them for like 15 to 30 dollars or so US. Like I said, I got the LUC 4 from efest and 4 batteries at the same time. I don't regret it at all. I got a 4 bay charger because I have other rechargeable batteries besides my vape gear (flashlights and remotes and stuff). A two bay charger would probably work fine though. I was honestly shocked at the charge times with it compared to my trustfire charger and charging with the mods. Even at the .5 amp setting it is faster. And the batteries don't get as warm as they did in my trustfire. I honestly think I am lucky I never blew up a battery with it.

My speeder is normally set around 15 watts and I vape quite a bit. My VTC5A's last about a day and a half to 2 days before I need to swap them out.

If money is tight, believe me I know how that is I only make 730 bucks a month on SSI, you could get away with the internal charger. Just plug it in when you go to bed and let it charge over night. I charged my kanger Kbox mini with the usb charger for about a year and it still works fine.

juancarter

Nov 19, 2017
Honestly, if you can afford it get a decent charger. You can get them for like 15 to 30 dollars or so US. Like I said, I got the LUC 4 from efest and 4 batteries at the same time. I don't regret it at all. I got a 4 bay charger because I have other rechargeable batteries besides my vape gear (flashlights and remotes and stuff). A two bay charger would probably work fine though. I was honestly shocked at the charge times with it compared to my trustfire charger and charging with the mods. Even at the .5 amp setting it is faster. And the batteries don't get as warm as they did in my trustfire. I honestly think I am lucky I never blew up a battery with it.

My speeder is normally set around 15 watts and I vape quite a bit. My VTC5A's last about a day and a half to 2 days before I need to swap them out.

If money is tight, believe me I know how that is I only make 730 bucks a month on SSI, you could get away with the internal charger. Just plug it in when you go to bed and let it charge over night. I charged my kanger Kbox mini with the usb charger for about a year and it still works fine.
okey thank you, i think i will charge it with the mod because im tight in money, thank you

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I have no issues using mods to charge their batteries. Granted, I would not use older mods to do this. I do have a 4 bay external charger for those times that I over do it and need to charge batteries out side the mod and, of course, my spare batteries.

I have had usb port issues in the past so I have switched to magnetic plug systems. I have enough plugs to fit all my usb charged mods, minus my single bottom port device, and enough cables to cover work, home and my vehicle (helps using the same system with my phone, even though my phone uses the newer C model plugs!).

It's up to you, how comfortable you feel using built in chargers or not.
9cb4a8d36cd8792d1e7ec45fa38df2b3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Another vote here for a stand-alone charger. I trust a decent charger more than I trust a mod. Furthermore, if the USB port on your mod dies, you won't be able to update your firmware if they come out with any improvements or new features.

If you're wondering what counts as a decent charger, the ones most often recommended around here are Xtar, Nitecore and the Efest LUC line. Those three brands make solid basic chargers at reasonable prices. They all also sell batteries, but their batteries are rewraps and should be avoided.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, if you are tight on funds, why not USB charge until you can afford an external charger and some extra batteries? Well worth it my opinion, as it is safer, quicker, and USB ports that get heavy use can sometimes fail (though it's certainly true that you can charge the mod via USB). It's going to take a long time, so just be prepared for that, though.

Batteries and battery safety are ONE thing I never skimp on, I don't want to ruin my mod for want of a couple $5 batteries and an inexpensive charger. I think I've seen them on sale at either Heaven's Gifts or Ellegomall for $11. That's a pretty good price. Black Friday might be your friend here... Either way good luck!

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The only time I use the USB charge port is when I'm out for longer than I expected and need to bump up the battery.

OTOH, my istick 40W has an internal 2500ma battery and stays relatively cool charging from my USB wall adapters. Heat is the sticking point in charging. Most devices I've measured using a DROK inline charge current reader end up reading somewhere just under 1A, due to the current limiting resistor built into all USB devices.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Digital...id=1511181069&sr=8-7&keywords=drok+usb+tester

61Ob-28bgiL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I have no issues using mods to charge their batteries. Granted, I would not use older mods to do this. I do have a 4 bay external charger for those times that I over do it and need to charge batteries out side the mod and, of course, my spare batteries.

I have had usb port issues in the past so I have switched to magnetic plug systems. I have enough plugs to fit all my usb charged mods, minus my single bottom port device, and enough cables to cover work, home and my vehicle (helps using the same system with my phone, even though my phone uses the newer C model plugs!).

It's up to you, how comfortable you feel using built in chargers or not.
    9cb4a8d36cd8792d1e7ec45fa38df2b3.jpg
    That's 2 kewl. I think I'll try the adapters first. Any drawbacks?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread