• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Asthma and vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
I've been vaping for 22 months now, haven't had an analog in almost 21 months. I've had asthma I was 12 but wasn't officially diagnosed until I was 28 years old (60th birthday fast approaching!). Even when I was smoking cigarettes, I rarely needed an inhaler. I think my primary aggravating factor with asthma is cats. And as you might guess from my screen name, I'm rather fond of cats! So fond that we have 7 of them, LOL. They're my children. Really. We gave away a cat we had when our son was diagnosed with asthma at 4 years old, but I'm NOT giving away any of my babies for me! I think the emotional heartbreak would be harder than dealing with asthma! But my asthma is extremely well controlled on a daily basis with Advair. I never even need my "rescue" inhaler anymore. At least until I got a cold that turned into bronchitis.

See, there's a point to this rambling post! This asthma flareup that resulted from getting bronchitis (and most likely having bronchitis in combination with my seven furbabies, because I've had bronchitis before with just one cat and didn't have any major asthma issues) has been the only time I've needed more than inhalers to manage. My doc put me on prednisone. I was familiar with how well it works for asthma because our son was on it several times (always for short course treatments) and it was always like night and day within 24 hours. My doctor put me on a 6-day taper, starting with 60 mg the first day, then decreasing by 10 mg a day until I was done. That was last Friday. I did have a "night and day" result after taking the first 60 mg Friday, but by Saturday morning I was wheezing and coughing again. Anyway, it didn't get any better over the weekend so I called yesterday (Monday) and she started me over on a 9-day taper of 60 mg for 3 days, then 40 for 3 days, then 20 for 3 days. I was very discouraged last night because I didn't have that night and day result I was expecting. I went to sleep sitting up, coughing, and wheezing when I inhaled as well as exhaled, thinking I was destined for another call this morning, with who-knows-what being the next step. For my son the next step was hospitalization, and I really don't want that! But I woke up this morning realizing I wasn't coughing. I'm not wheezing when I inhale, and just very mildly when I exhale (inspiratory wheezing with asthma is not a good sign!). Woohoo! I'm very cautiously optimistic.

Oh gee, I STILL haven't gotten to the point of this long, rambling post! My point is, because it's been so long since I quit smoking, at least I haven't been going through all of this craving a cigarette! I discovered that I don't even crave vaping. I went outside with my husband one day last week (before the wheezing had gotten bad) to vape with him while he smoked, but one puff made me cough and I put my trusty Volt2 back in my pocket and haven't used it since. Haven't even wanted to. I guess I should mention I stopped using nic about 2 months after I stopped analogs. I'm not addicted to nothin' no more! :laugh::p

So there's my point! I told you I had one! I hate to think how much worse this whole experience would have been if I were still smoking. I know in the past when I had respiratory infections I kept right on smoking! I wasn't having asthma flares with them, but I sure was coughing and the smoking made it much worse. So I got through this without smoking, without craving a cigarette, and without even craving my delicious hot chocolate marshmallow ejuice! But I assure you as soon as I'm completely better, I'm looking forward to having more hot chocolate! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread