Asthma and Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

rummyforlife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
Nova Scotia
I am about to start vaping just waiting on my stuff to come in and wondering if anyone with asthma has had any problems. I am a smoker and really shouldn't smoke but as all smokers know its not a habit easy to break. I take inhalers daily to prevent asthma attacks and and just wondering if there are any other people with severe asthma that switched to vaping and found it increased or decreased their breathing issues. Any feedback would be appreciated.

odiedodi

Feb 23, 2012
Virginia
I'm not normally asthmatic, although I did have an asthma attack once when I chain vaped around cats, as I am highly allergic to them. It's my understanding that PG and VG coat the lungs when vaping, although that coating is temporary and does dissipate after the fact. I'm assuming you smoke now, and based on what I do know, Vaping will probably be a lot better for your lungs and asthma than smoking is. I'd recommend buying a disposable or piecing together a cheap 510 and testing the waters with that before fully committing. That way, if you do find that vaping bothers your lungs to the point of asthma attacks, you won't be out of much money.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've had exertion-induced asthma all my life, amd I'm 64. For me, switching from smoking to vaping seriously improved the situation, to the point where my limits have expanded greatly. No longer do I have to rest after carting a few boxes up or down stairs. I can just keep going until the job is done.

I did have the peculiarity that when I tried to quit smoking cold-turkey in the past, within a week my asthma got much worse and I had to go buy a rescue inhaler.

But that's been my experience. Your mileage may vary, of course.

bruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
Louisville, KY
I saw your post the first day you posted, but knew I was going to see my allergy/asthma doctor today. We talked some about vaping, and he endorsed it. Whatever works that's less harmful than smoking, and the e-cig is much better he said. As far as he knew, PG and VG pose no problem for the lungs, but like everyone on here knows, there is no long term tests, and won't be for some time, as these devices haven't been around that long.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
My doctor is ecstatic about it. I have exertion and allergy induced asthma that had gotten pretty severe. I vaped for about 5 months late last year.. then fell back into cigs due to poor planning. I knew I felt better vaping... but MAN, I really felt what the cigs were doing to be when I went back to those. I hated myself for doing it. Now that I'm finally back to vaping.... much less lung wheezing and bronchial spasms.

The only thing I've had an issue with is the phlegm hacking that's happening right now. My allergies are in full swing, and the allergy meds dry my throat to the point where it's hard to do my job (I'm on the phone talking all day), so I don't take the meds unless it's a really bad allergy day. Add in vaping which can dehydrate, and I have a post nasal drip into an itchy dry throat. I've tried clearing my throat and sometimes end up coughing. I feel like permanent frog in the throat. When I was smoking, I would have just had the post nasal drip and the wheezing and hacking. I spoke to my Dr. yesterday and he says it's possible the vaping would actually stimulate and increase the post nasal drip. I jokingly said to mythat I might be coughing more now than smoking, maybe I should go back to it. He said ABSOLUTELY not.

I'm using my inhaler more because I'm afraid of wheezing than because I am wheezing (my chest is clear)... I think I'm just paranoid this time of year about it. This time last year I was on Advair, Flovent, Zyrtec, and an Albuterol nebulizer. This year Advair and Zyrtec and I'm not convinced that I NEED the Advair.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
About 8 years ago, I started getting very bad asthma attacks from food coloring and some creamy dairy, exertion, dust... and something to do with the Japanese trees in the winter etc. I have had to go to hospital a few times for severe ones.

It took a few months after quitting smoking and taking up ecigs to improve, so I didn't think it had improved until I realized a few weeks ago, that I didn't have an asthma pump in my bag, and only because hubby asked me if I had it! Practically every single room in the house and most of my handbags had at least pump, sometimes several. Like for eg. my dog walkies bag, my work bag, gym bag, out and about bag, in the car, next to the bed etc. lol. Anyway, then I thought about it and realized that I hadn't used my pumps for months!! Not only that, I have just passed a whole winter with barely ever using my asthma pumps, when i would have gone through several! Wow!

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I had to look up asthma pump. It's what we call an inhaler.

I had to look up inhaler...

LMAO funny when we use different words. When I was smoking a guy came up once and asked to "bum a ..."... I was a little shocked until he explained in England that's "borrow a cigarette".

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Lol, people always used to bum fags or a light off me. By the way, how do you 'borrow' a cigarette? Surely once it's smoked, it can't be returned?

I have NOOOOO idea. It's just something people say though. Can I borrow a cigarette, can I borrow your hand lotion, can I borrow a Kleenex? Ummmm I definitely don't want the kleenex back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread