Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks guys. :)

I had kinda hoped this thread had died. :laugh: I guess Everlast stumbled on it yesterday and revived it from a whole years rest. :laugh: Not a problem though. :) I wish that I still had this spreadsheet somewhere. I think it was lost in the crash of Oct 2010 (hard drive). I will hunt for it, but not sure how I could share it here on ECF. I don't think there is a mechanism for uploading anything but pics here.

BTW - Congrats on your 1,000th post.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
Thanks guys. :)

I had kinda hoped this thread had died. :laugh: I guess Everlast stumbled on it yesterday and revived it from a whole years rest. :laugh: Not a problem though. :) I wish that I still had this spreadsheet somewhere. I think it was lost in the crash of Oct 2010 (hard drive). I will hunt for it, but not sure how I could share it here on ECF. I don't think there is a mechanism for uploading anything but pics here.

lol - Sorry Ralph, to be honest all I looked at was the "7/27" part of the last post's date and assumed it was recent...woops :laugh:

But even a year old the info is still sound, and your format is a big help for some of us new to this. I've never had the need to figure out wattage from volts and ohms before. But now that I know how it can affect my vaping experience, it's helpful to know that "x" battery coupled with "y" atty will have "z" effect on how hot the vapors gets, which in turn affects the flavor, and so on. I know I'll never understand some of the diagrams and schematics that some of you post here when designing mods and stuff. But I think I can get a grasp on this well enough to learn how to enjoy the juices I liked on an ego on my higher voltage mod too.

Thanks again Ralph...sorry for the thread digging lol

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks! LOL I didn't even notice. :facepalm:

I was the same way when one day I looked down and I was zero-ing in on 3,000.

---

Hey here is a Algebraic derivation of Ohms Law you might find interesting.

Voltage = ( Watts x Ohms)^1/2

"Voltage is equal to the Square Root of Wattage times Ohms."

This is a handy formula for a VVPV user who knows what Watts a given e-Liquid tastes best at.

Exm.

A vaper likes to vape Watermelon/Cherry at 6.5 watts. They pick up a new Carto that ohms at 3.1 ohms. What voltage do they use?

Voltage = (6.5 x 3.1)^1/2 = 4.5 volts

So they dial in their VVPV to 4.5 volts and away they go.

But next week they pick up a carto that is 2.4 ohms. They want the hit to be exactly like the 3.1 ohm carto.

Voltage = (6.5 x 2.4)^1/2 = 3.9 volts

I figured out quickly that the Watts is really the key to the entire VVPV thing if you don't want to use trial and error.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm thrilled to have found it because this is exactly where I am at in my "vaping 101". Trying to figure out why some batts preform differently with different cartos and attys. I will now take another look and see if I can figure it out. I hope it will be ok to post my questions here!

One thing that might help you is that some PV’s are “Regulated” and some are “Un-Regulated”.

That means that when you charge your PV battery, it comes off the charger at about 4.2 volts. But the PV holds the voltage constant at 3.7 volts, or perhaps something lower like 3.5 volts, for as long as it can. When it can no longer output the held voltage, it blinks to tell you it needs a charge. This is a Regulated PV.

Other PV’s start out at about 4.2 volts and the voltage drops slightly every time you take a hit. When the PV gets to around 3.2 volts it blinks to be charged. This is a Un-Regulated PV.

This is also while you will hear people say that there PV works best when they have Fresh Batteries.

Ever1ast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
SW FL Gulf Coast
This is a handy formula for a VVPV user who knows what Watts a given e-Liquid tastes best at.

That's exactly why I've been reading about this - I just got a 5v regulated mod, so that's my 1 known value. And I know from using the calculator what wattage was working for me with my old ego & attys, so I also have the 2nd value. I just have to find new attys to plug in to equal my target...not as easy as using a VV to dial it in, but you work with what you have :)

LauraBolyard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
west palm beach
ok, Im gonna need a course! Foe example i have no idea where my batts started at. I thought all Riva 510's were the same, I have three. I also thought the were basically the same at the batts that come with the ego T, but they perform differenty, I have three of those also. I just ordered three more riva 510's, just got them, but they are skinny cig style!! GRRR I dont know whats what!! Now I have about 15 cig style batts that ALL perform differently!! What the fruit! So what am I calling my long, fat rivas? GRRR

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ok, Im gonna need a course! Foe example i have no idea where my batts started at. I thought all Riva 510's were the same, I have three. I also thought the were basically the same at the batts that come with the ego T, but they perform differenty, I have three of those also. I just ordered three more riva 510's, just got them, but they are skinny cig style!! GRRR I dont know whats what!! Now I have about 15 cig style batts that ALL perform differently!! What the fruit! So what am I calling my long, fat rivas? GRRR

Don't feel bad.

I went thru about 6 different kits before I found what works best for me.

Provari at home. eGo when out and about.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's exactly why I've been reading about this - I just got a 5v regulated mod, so that's my 1 known value. And I know from using the calculator what wattage was working for me with my old ego & attys, so I also have the 2nd value. I just have to find new attys to plug in to equal my target...not as easy as using a VV to dial it in, but you work with what you have :)

I wish I had gotten a VVPV at the start. Would have saved me a bunch of money and headaches.

I have a Provari and the thing that is cool is the Digital Display which you can bump the Voltage up .1 volts at a time. The ability to fine tune Any e-Liquid with Any Atty/Carto is Fantastic. You can also measure the ohms of a Atty/Carto right off the Provari.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
lol - Sorry Ralph, to be honest all I looked at was the "7/27" part of the last post's date and assumed it was recent...woops :laugh:

But even a year old the info is still sound, and your format is a big help for some of us new to this. I've never had the need to figure out wattage from volts and ohms before. But now that I know how it can affect my vaping experience, it's helpful to know that "x" battery coupled with "y" atty will have "z" effect on how hot the vapors gets, which in turn affects the flavor, and so on. I know I'll never understand some of the diagrams and schematics that some of you post here when designing mods and stuff. But I think I can get a grasp on this well enough to learn how to enjoy the juices I liked on an ego on my higher voltage mod too.

Thanks again Ralph...sorry for the thread digging lol

Not a problem. Maybe it needed to surface again. :laugh:

Did I miss quote you? ;)

Great work on your chart!!!

No, and thanks. :)

---

..............snip .........

I figured out quickly that the Watts is really the key to the entire VVPV thing if you don't want to use trial and error.

Good info. I need to find a good ohms law pie chart which shows all 12 derivations. This one may work. Some of them have errors and I haven't had a chance to check this one yet. Knowing any two measurements, you can derive the other two.

imagesqtbnANd9GcSbzzgHZ8Y2a3a9YQ1WG.jpg

I'm thrilled to have found it because this is exactly where I am at in my "vaping 101". Trying to figure out why some batts preform differently with different cartos and attys. I will now take another look and see if I can figure it out. I hope it will be ok to post my questions here!

Another factor is internal battery resistance comes into play. This is especially true with smaller batteries (which have higher internal resistance) and low ohm loads like the 1.5 ohm DC cartos. So, a real small mod cant keep up with a 1.5 ohm dual coil carto, as the battery voltage drops at the atty/carto drop when the circuit is completed.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Another factor is internal battery resistance comes into play. This is especially true with smaller batteries (which have higher internal resistance) and low ohm loads like the 1.5 ohm DC cartos. So, a real small mod cant keep up with a 1.5 ohm dual coil carto, as the battery voltage drops at the atty/carto drop when the circuit is completed.
And that is why Ohm's Law is not always a very good predictor of true/realworld watts. So many folks just use 3.7V, or the totally uninformed will use 4.2V to figure their watts. A 3.7V 10440 and a 3.7V 18650 do not produce the same watts with the same atty. The loaded/vaping volts are what matters with battery mods.

Ralph T

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
And that is why Ohm's Law is not always a very good predictor of true/realworld watts. So many folks just use 3.7V, or the totally uninformed will use 4.2V to figure their watts. A 3.7V 10440 and a 3.7V 18650 do not produce the same watts with the same atty. The loaded/vaping volts are what matters with battery mods.

Exactly. Measurement is a problem for most folks too. Measuring the voltage at the load... under load can be a real challenge. I have done some real testing with a few battery types. I should post that info, if I can find it. :facepalm:

otrem

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Iligan City, Philippines

---

Exm.

A vaper likes to vape Watermelon/Cherry at 6.5 watts. They pick up a new Carto that ohms at 3.1 ohms. What voltage do they use?

Voltage = (6.5 x 3.1)^1/2 = 4.5 volts

So they dial in their VVPV to 4.5 volts and away they go.

But next week they pick up a carto that is 2.4 ohms. They want the hit to be exactly like the 3.1 ohm carto.

Voltage = (6.5 x 2.4)^1/2 = 3.9 volts

this i believe is what the Darwin(PV) can do best. the desired watts is dialed in then vape away.. i'm at the waiting stage for my Darwin. still in transit. (sigh)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
this i believe is what the Darwin(PV) can do best. the desired watts is dialed in then vape away.. i'm at the waiting stage for my Darwin. still in transit. (sigh)

I was thinking of this a couple of nights ago.

Couldn't take much of a chip to do the math or use a lookup table to set the voltage based on what the user wants watts wise.

As usual though, I tend to think of these Great ideas AFTER someone else comes out or is about to come out with the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread