Atomizer or Cartomizer Best for Testing Flavors Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerWayne

Sep 6, 2011
Laurel, MS
Can anyone give me an idea about an atomizer or cartomizer, or other that would be good for testing flavors. I use ego mega dual coil cartomizers (and now echo-e dual horizontal coil cartomizers) and love them. I am plenty satisfied with them, however I am always open to new things. BUT one thing that they are particularly bad for these types of carts in particular is trying or testing new flavors. They require alot of juice to fill them and if the new juice that I just ordered tastes like $#17! then I need to literally suck it up or throw it away. Any suggestions? I am looking for a good drip atomizer I guess, right? One that will also allow you to get good flavor and easily cleanable between flavors. Oh and the procedure to do that??? I am just not experienced enough to figure this out alone though. Or maybe I am even not thinking of something that would help here such as a flux or CE3 etc etc. Please let me know how the vets handle this. Thanks! A LOT! Seriously, any advise would be greatly appreciated!

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
It's probable that we all have our own ways of doing this but here's my preferences, for what it's worth :)

1. An 801 atty, dripped, with an empty carto, on 5 volts
2. A 510 regular (SR) atty with a driptip
3. A 510 LR atty with a driptip

That is the order in which the gear I've got will reliably present flavors. But as the one most likely to be used in the end is a 510, either an LR at 3.7 volts or a standard resistance one on 5 volts, I just use a known good 510 LR atty with a driptip on a Riva (a 510 large-format battery). Drip three drops on it and it will tell you what you need to know.

To clean it just needs a blow through with plain VG mixer liquid, which I have a ton of and is cheap & not used for much else, then with alcohol (anything will do) if the flavor is a tough one. A centrifugal spin works even better.

I have had some really disgusting flavors (IMO) such as perfumy / rose types that took forever to get out, I had to boil those out. Some people probably like that stuff though...

Fruity flavors come out best with low power, chocolate needs a big kick (for me anyway) - so in the end it might depend on what you are vaping. This system is fast to use and easy to clean, though.

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Indeed, atomizer (rather than cartomizer) is the way to go for this purpose. For example, although I tired of dripping earlier this year and have been living in cartomizer land ever since, I will be bringing my 801 atomizer (with drip tip, of course) to the VaperCon next month to try out all the juices that will be available there.

I share rolygate's love of the 801. Since I don't have a 5V mod, it will be an LR 801 (specifically EastMall's version, which I get from Vapor Junction here in the US). To use it on your (or my) eGo, get an inexpensive 510-to-801 adapter (e.g., from Good Prophets ... or the slightly more expensive one from Vapor Junction, if you do get your atty from them).

While at VaperCon, I may also pick up a Cisco LR 306 atomizer (and 306 drip tip)* for this purpose as well. It is widely regarded as one of the very best, massive vapor and TH attys out there. [FYI: The 306 has the same threading as the 510 and, therefore, is fully compatible with the eGo.] Some might tell you that a very-low-resistance atomizer like the LR 306 puts too great a strain on the eGo's mosfet (whatever that is), but "no risk, no reward." It's not going to blow up on you.
* Although optional and merely convenient for most atomizers, a drip tip really is necessary for the 306 (Cisco, LR, or otherwise), since it has an exposed coil or bridge. [The link above is to a two-atomizer/one-drip-tip bundle from Avid Vaper ... and I see that it is available in various resistance levels.]​
Final tip (for this post at least): Consider getting that Riva battery mentioned by rolygate ... for this purpose or any other. Unlike the 3.2V eGo, the Riva is 3.7V (same as many mods) and is fully compatible with your eGo charger and with all the atomizers mentioned in this thread.

EDIT: In light of my comments (and rolygate's in his post below) about LR attys not straining eGo batteries all that much – and in fairness to you and other readers – I need to tell you that my 1000 mAh eGo-T battery gave up the ghost last night.:( It was about two months old and rotated with several other batteries as rolygate does his. I believe that the last atty I used on it was a 1.5 ohm LR 306 (which I had never done before on any of my fat batts).:facepalm: [FYI: I did that for the purpose of answering your question, Wayne. You see the sacrifices we veterans make.;)]

So, another reason to heed hairball's and atom48's recommendation. [For myself at least, since I have never had a problem with my Smok Tech 1.7 ohm single coil cartomizers, I might try the 1.8 ohm Cisco 306 atomizer ... and I wouldn't hesitate to use any atty or carto at 2.0 ohms or more.] NOTE: All these reservations apply to the eGo (and similar) fat batts ... not to a high-mAh, 3.7V mod.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Like you say, Don, the use of LR atties may shorten the life of eGo-style batteries - but mine have lasted so long that, if so, it is nothing to worry about. I just had one die after nearly a year, and if that means its life was shortened - wow. Mind you I've got a bunch of them and rotate them all the time, so there's no real way of telling exactly 'how many hours of vaping' or recharges I got out of it. Seems pointless worrying.

For really heavy-duty use I use a 5 volt device as that's what it's designed for - those times when the only thing that will do is 5 volts of 36mg of nasty strong DIY liquid with DIY tobacco extract in it. With a super-strong coffee and a decent shot of rum, it fixes most mood problems :)

The Tornados and Rivas get gently used and last, apparently, a very long time - even on LR. Same for the atties. I'm not a big volume user anyway - if I was, I'd get a big battery 3.7 volt mod for use with LR stuff. Maybe heavy users kill their eGo batts with LR, but then a 3.7v mod might be a better idea.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Well it looks like you have a couple good answers already but I will chime in with my two pennies. When I am trying new flavors I use two different types of attys, I usually try the flavor on a LR 901 which imo are amazing in the flavor department but the 901 can also take some time to learn how to drip properly with, it is usually proned to flooding and leaking out the side hole but once you master it I feel that the flavor is better than most atties out there. If I like the flavor on the 901 then I usually drip a few drops in a lr 510, the reason I do that is because I use 510 cartos when out and about and figure that a 510 atty will probably better represent the taste of what I might expect in a 510 carto. One thing to keep in mind is it would probably be a good idea to try new juices with an atty that is close to the same resistance as the resistance of the cartos that you are using. The reason I say that is some juices react differently to different voltages, for instance, there is a coffee juice that I enjoy with a standard 3ohm atty but when I use it on a low resistance atty the juice gets burnt and tastes exactly like it sounds, like burnt coffee. So keep that in mind. I must warn you though, after dripping for a bit you may become a dripper because in my opinion the flavor is the best with good ole fashion dripping. I obviously still use cartos but when I am at home I am normally dripping. Hope that helps a bit and good luck.

After re-reading dons post I realized I should mention that if you do choose to pick up a 901 you will need a 510 to 901 adapter. I hope that all of these suggestions are not too daunting, there are a lot of choices and sometimes that can be overwhelming, but I enjoy having choices myself. In all actuality, the easiest way would be just pick up a 510 in a similar resistance to the cartos you are using and call it good since that is already compatible with your device, but if you do decide you want more truer flavor then pick up some adapters and an 801 and 901.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread